Any KS style Mizuno reviews?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I went to Japanese Chefs Knife and couldn’t help but notice a KS style Mizuno line of gyutos. Has anyone written a review of one of these knives yet? It is certainly an interesting development that I totally missed.

My favorite knife is basically a Masamoto KS profile with a grind based on the original Mizuno honyaki so I am very interested to see how this has turned out.

The pricing on the regular Mizuno honyaki seem to have gone up a couple hundred bucks too. But cost aside they are sold out so somebody here must have one?

I know someone wrote a good review awhile back about the Miz KS knives, might have to google it instead of KKF search.

I went to Japanese Chefs Knife and couldn’t help but notice a KS style Mizuno line of gyutos. Has anyone written a review of one of these knives yet? It is certainly an interesting development that I totally missed.

My favorite knife is basically a Masamoto KS profile with a grind based on the original Mizuno honyaki so I am very interested to see how this has turned out.

I was wondering the same thing. Even though I'm out of the game, my interest was piqued when I saw the e-mail from JCK. Considering I'm a big Mizuno and suminigashi fan the prospect of a 270 tempted me.

The suminigashi version is a loose translation of KS style. Which isn't a bad thing. The new "KS" style 270 is essentially a bigger version of the 240 with a proportionately little longer flat spot.

P.S. Hope all is well in your world.

FfKxchW.jpg

That 270 looks good...what are the dimensions out of curiousity if anyone knows?

Thanks for the responses guys. I finally got through the linked thread.

I purchased a Mizuno Honyaki from Huw that is one of the nicest knives I have owned. So reading his statement that it is the best Mizuno Honyaki he has had carries some weight for me.

Salty - It is great to see you chime in on this. When I was looking at the pics on JCK I was thinking of your suminigashi 240 and that it’s profile was right up there with the KS for knives I’ve played with. Soo nice to see a profile side by side. Thank you. (PM sent)

At this price point it is a competitive landscape these days. I guess in my mind the competitor I am drawn to to compare is the Gesshin Ittetsu white Honyaki. Looks to have a killer profile and the san mai ittestsu I have has some grind characteristics that are similar to Salty’s Mizuno suminigashi and that comes from having them side by side. That being said my Ittetsu is old as is Salty’s suminigashi. I would love to get a new Ittestsu Honyaki alone with one of these new Mizuno models and have at it.

In terms of comparing to a KS it doesn’t seem to be anything near a clone. I do like seeing a little more steel on the spine above the belly near the tip on the Mizuno. I am a big fan of the Mizuno weight distribution and I imagine this may help bring the natural motion of the knife forward in line with its newly longer flat spot. Of course total speculation.

All of this information has piqued my interest even more. If history is any indicator this is only going to end one way. My wife is going to kill me.

Welcome.back Chucky!! The Miz white2 honyaki I had was the best knife I've ever handled and miss it so much. I will get another eventually but in a custom Length, regular 240 runs much too short for me.

I think I am with you Panda. The more I look at the pics I think I would prefer the original Mizuno Honyaki profile but with about a 250mm edge length.

Back