Any lively Chuka Bocho Recommendations?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OkLobster

Banned
Reaction score
I honestly have no idea what went into me but I saw a Konosuke Chuka Bocho the other day and my mind has been up in the air since.

As the title states, does anyone have recommendations for a Chuka Bocho?

I've noted Sugimoto and Mizuno have some recommendations but wanted to garner a few more recommendations for those in the know.

This will be more of a general purpose knife but I wouldn't mind a beefier bone crushing type of cleaver either.

A real general purpose Chinese cleaver (not Japanese Chuka Bocho) is a light bone chopper, poultry, waterfowl, large fish, small pork bones etc kitchen tool. Without a trip to China to look for the hard to get in the US local brands, I would go with CCK but it sounds like you might need two.

I honestly have no idea what went into me but I saw a Konosuke Chuka Bocho the other day and my mind has been up in the air since.

As the title states, does anyone have recommendations for a Chuka Bocho?

I've noted Sugimoto and Mizuno have some recommendations but wanted to garner a few more recommendations for those in the know.

This will be more of a general purpose knife but I wouldn't mind a beefier bone crushing type of cleaver either.
Try getting whatever you can get your hands on first so you can try it out and see if its something you really like or enjoy. At some point in time a guy that was the go to guy when it came to chinese chefs knives did this study on all his knives where the formula was based on something like the total area divided by the weight and so he came up with something like x grams per square inch. If I recall correctly the CCK slicer was the base example for this since it is really thin and works beautifully for doing the multi purpose chinese chef knife thing. I suggest you try a CCK or something similar to it.

What I wouldn’t do to go back and time and buy a bunch of CCK 1303s for under $40, but I still recommend them a lot even at their current prices.
HOW MUCH ARE THEY NOW? I got one a long time ago for like 30 dllrs.

Takeda ‘small’ is surprisingly good, the traits of a Takeda work really well in a Chukabocho. Having good food release with a big old rectangle is super satisfying when working with dense or starchy products.

If you are mostly working with finer smaller ingredients though or just dicing onions you won’t get your worth in it, I would then go for a Togashi chuka from Hitohira

I got the shibazi and cck 1302.

Cck is great, cuts great cause it’s laser thin. But lacks the weight to force through ingredients and crushing garlic martin yan style.

Shibazi is heavier and stainless so it’s a great beater knife for me. Fantastic gralic&ginger crusher

I’m also at the point to consider a sugimoto or tojiro pro. But the first 2 mentioned are great and cheap.

I got the shibazi and cck 1302.

Cck is great, cuts great cause it’s laser thin. But lacks the weight to force through ingredients and crushing garlic martin yan style.

Shibazi is heavier and stainless so it’s a great beater knife for me. Fantastic gralic&ginger crusher

I’m also at the point to consider a sugimoto or tojiro pro. But the first 2 mentioned are great and cheap.
Supposedly sugimoto is the endgame thing to own if your into chukas. All the OG ironchefs had one.

Supposedly sugimoto is the endgame thing to own if your into chukas. All the OG ironchefs had one.

I guess it's only a matter of time till i get one.

at the moment i can get sugi 1# at 270usd or a tojiro pro at 170usd. truth that i enjoy stainless so i might get the tojiro first which i read great things about.

btw the shibazi and cck are well respected cleavers and well used by Chinese chefs

Back