Any one have any information on these?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sachem allison

Reaction score
Anybody know anything about these? About 8 years ago I had a culinary student come in and intern with me. He was a real douche bag and lasted about three days before some of my crew took him out back. Well, he never came back for his stuff. I have been holding on too them for the last 8 years. They don't look like they were ever sharpened, except the deba. They definitely need to be put on the stones. They look stainless. these are the dimension not in mm as I am too lazy to convert. These are all marked KAI. I know that Kai makes shun and Kershaw and about a hundred other lines. What line is this and are they worth restoring?
Gyuto? 8 1/8in x 2in
usuba 6 3/4in x 1 3/4in
deba 5in x 1 5/8in
yanagi 6 1/4in x 1in
yanagi 9 1/8in x 1 1/4in

appreciate any help.

kai1 001.jpg

kai1 002.jpg

kai1 003.jpg

kai1 004.jpg

kai1 005.jpg

kai1 006.jpg

kai1 007.jpg

kai1 009.jpg

kai1 011.jpg

kai1 013.jpg

kai1 014.jpg

Also have a stainless yanagi that I have no idea where I picked it up. It is pretty thin compared to the other one, about half the thickness.

yanagi 12in x 1 3/8in

kai1 015.jpg

kai1 016.jpg

kai1 017.jpg

kai1 018.jpg

kai1 019.jpg

kai1 020.jpg

kai1 021.jpg

kai1 022.jpg

kai1 023.jpg

The markings on those are identical to those on a Seki Magoroku 8" guto that I have. If these are anything like mine, which I bought new for under $50, they're nice little performers for the price point. Mine actually takes and holds a decent edge, though I hardly ever use it.

So I was able to get some translation about the Kanji some.

A brief translation of this history is this knife forging technique traveled from Kyushu area to Gifu prefecture during the Kamakura period. The craftsmen believe in the "No breaking, no bending, great cutting edge" when forging the knives. The name itself is from the 27th generation of this knife forging family (or school or branch however they relate the craftsmen to) who carries the techniques throughout the generations and maintains the beliefs on making great knives.

That is like the basic translation of the history.

So with all the usual mystery that goes along with such knives and makers. It is most likely a descent knife.
If it looks straight , doesn't have much dips or valley's running between the Shinogi & Hasaki lines, cuts well , then your alright.

thanks, it's always good to have a story. Does anybody know who made the big yanagi?

That longer yanagiba looks to be three layers, I have never heard of something like that on a single-bevel. Do you know if all layers are stainless?

I think they are, I haven't looked at it much. I'll check it when I get back home.

Back