Any Other Steels that Perform Similar to TF?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tostadas

Hobbyist / Craftsman
Reaction score
Trying my best not to turn this into a TF thread, but here goes... Are there any makers with blades that perform similar to the high hardness of TF White#1 or AS? Carbon, stainless, or anything in between.

I dont exactly know what you are looking for, but i know quiet a few european makers with excellent ht with steels like 1.2442,1.2008, 1.2562, 145SC, 125SC with comparable hardness... Xerxes, Guldimann, Catchside, Yannick, Marius, Kamon to name a few....

Although i liked the TF AS, i wasnt too happy with my Shirogami TF.
For Japanese makers i would have a look at Watanabe/Toyama

Just to clarify: Are we talking about gyuto's?

As someone who hasn't used a TF yet, I'd be curious to know just what the differences are between a TF Maboroshi vis-a-vis a Toshu White-1, or a TF Denka vis-a-vis a JCK Deep Impact or Ohishi AS.

Just to clarify: Are we talking about gyuto's?

As someone who hasn't used a TF yet, I'd be curious to know just what the differences are between a TF Maboroshi vis-a-vis a Toshu White-1, or a TF Denka vis-a-vis a JCK Deep Impact or Ohishi AS.

Yes, I'm referring to chef knives. My understanding is that TF heat treats his steels to very high HRC. I have limited knives to compare with, but to me it feels significantly different than the steels of my other various knives thus far. I dont know if it's directly related to hardness or other factors.

Yes, I'm referring to chef knives. My understanding is that TF heat treats his steels to very high HRC. I have limited knives to compare with, but to me it feels significantly different than the steels of my other various knives thus far. I dont know if it's directly related to hardness or other factors.
For a high HRC, the JCK Deep Impact is listed at 64-65.

For other steels at a high hardness, what do you think of the Takamura HSPS Pro at 63-64, or the Kohetsu HAP40 (https://www.**************.com/kohagy24.html)?

For ultra high hardness take a look at the Sukenari Hap40. I have the Kohetsu Hap40. I can't recommend the knife, but the steel is fun. It feels hard when cutting. On the stones it has this slightly glassy feel. Feels harder and more slick than R2.

And the Sukenari version is even harder.

But it's kinda A-Team situation...
"If you have a problem, and If you can find them,
Maybe you can hire the... Sukenari?"
*ad theme song here*

For ultra high hardness take a look at the Sukenari Hap40. I have the Kohetsu Hap40. I can't recommend the knife, but the steel is fun. It feels hard when cutting. On the stones it has this slightly glassy feel. Feels harder and more slick than R2.

And the Sukenari version is even harder.

But it's kinda A-Team situation...
"If you have a problem, and If you can find them,
Maybe you can hire the... Sukenari?"
*ad theme song here*

Yes, I read your old posts about the Kohetsu Hap40 and that's what originally kind of turned me off from that steel in general. But I should probably reconsider based on maker rather than simply the steel.

Moritaka and Tojiro frequently come with bent, wonky blades and they're cheaper as well.

I wish I could compare, I don't have or tried tf.
But I have always feel "impressed" by how the steel feels hard

In AS I have only tried Takeda, Moritaka, and Kanehiro (and of course Denka).

However I have tried and own many white steel knives. Jiro, yoshikazu tanaka white 1 and 2 (both konosuke fujiyama), Munetoshi ku+honyaki, hinoura, Mazaki(several), watanabe white 2, Mizuno white whatever honyaki..

TF feels unique, whether white 1 or AS, compared to other knives on both the board and stone. I have my own ideas and speculations as to why that is, but there is so much hearsay out there already I am loath to add more.

If you want perfect, go for Shigefusa. When it comes down to actually getting to work, I really really like my TF's. If I had to pick one knife to use for the rest of my life out my collection, it would be Denka without a second thought. Although I'd miss the others obviously.

Of course this is just my opinion.

135mm nashiji petty
180mm Denka santoku
210mm maboroshi gyuto
240mm Maboroshi gyuto
275mm Denka gyuto

Yes, I read your old posts about the Kohetsu Hap40 and that's what originally kind of turned me off from that steel in general. But I should probably reconsider based on maker rather than simply the steel.
Funny thing is, After the initial excitement had passed, I was so bummed out about the knife that even though I liked hap40, it turned me of the steel for a while too.

Nothing could fill those expectations that was put on it at the time. But look at it as a FAR far cousin to the R2, only a bit harder and a little better edge retention and in semi stainless and you get a better idea of what to expect realistically. As such the steel is very nice, fun and different.

On certain wooden cutting boards it almost sounds like a ceramic tile touching the board.

From a respected maker in a right style of knife, It would be hard to pass. There's just still not that many options. The Sukenari being probably the best bet atm.

From multiple shops that stock both, I've heard that Murray Carter's HT on White 1 is very good to, and comparable to TF. Y Tanaka also has a good reputation for White 1.

I got my TF and my Mazaki within a week of each other. The TF edge retention was definitely dramatically superior (though the Mazaki had the superior grind, so the full cut evened out). This was a few years back, so it may have changed as Mazaki is a younger smith.

I've heard that Murray Carter's HT on White 1 is very good to, and comparable to TF.
I'd agree.
Getting tougher to find a simple example of Murray-forged white at a palatable price. Since he got his MS, his prices rose plus he's focusing more on fancier stuff. This leaves the muteki apprentices dealing with the simpler stuff. I can't speak to what their work is like. But, if you can find a nice older Carter through BST, it'd be a nice White for sure.

Back