Any recommendations for a good pizza stone/steel

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daizone

Reaction score
I am looking to start cooking pizza at home and I am looking for any pizza stone/steel reccomendations. And any pros and cons of either or certain stones like ceramic and cracks etc.

^ looks good!
Definitely get square or rectangular and NOT round.
It's much easier to get the pie off the peel and onto a square stone.

I had two of the round clay ones, (one now) one popped almost straight in half relatively soon after buying them, the other seems to be hanging in there.

Daizone, Just go to your local metalsmith and ask for a 1/4 plate of carbon steel w finished not rough edges. Measure your oven first. Will be a bit cheaper and much most substantial. I think I used some form of 440 but it could have been 1095 too

Daizone, Just go to your local metalsmith and ask for a 1/4 plate of carbon steel w finished not rough edges. Measure your oven first. Will be a bit cheaper and much most substantial. I think I used some form of 440 but it could have been 1095 too
Baking steel is a36 steel.

B44B2D40-6733-443E-8B04-067CA0DC5AC5.jpeg
I have been having great results for the past 3-4 years with a rectangular 3/8” thick Nerd Chef steel with rounded corners. The two 1.5” holes in two of the corners of the steel assist with being able to move it around. I keep it in the oven 365/year. Assists with heat retention in the oven when not using for pizza. Also works great in Green Mountain pellet grill.

I like my 3/8 steel too, but have not tried the 1/4 thick. Keep both a round and a square in the oven full time. Slows down reaching temps but once there opening the oven door is a quickly recovered from. the round occasionally goes into the grill, it's awesome there.

I know this is old and probably forgotten but I purchased 2 kiln ceramic shelves that are food safe. Mine are solid but the shelves with venting are lighter and cost more.

Back