Any scissors lovers here? kagayaki?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adam92

Reaction score
From my research they're rebrand tojiro kitchen shears with bigger handle & bigger blade, I don't have a quality scissors yet, either my girlfriend said she don't need scissors, anyone in here use scissors a lot? What do you mainly use kitchen shears for?

I use to use kitchen shears to mainly cut up chicken parts. Then I changed my style of chopping chicken. Since shears are terrible at cutting most other things not food related they became mostly useless but I still keep them around as a reminder of my constant need to waste money.

I use them to cut things like twine, tape, and packages. I dont really use them on actual food.

I use them to cut things like twine, tape, and packages. I dont really use them on actual food.
You must have bought something better than the worthless KitchenAid shears I bought many years ago. Those things can't cut anything that you would think that could make it a halfway decent item. Plastic food bags, paper, nothing. If I could do it all over again I would have bought a decent pair since you are more likely to find shears in your kitchen than normal scissors.

They're good for chives
Unknown.jpeg

do you want shears or scissors?

I find both useful but they do different stuff.

I have a basic set of stainless shears, theyre fine. For scissors I have several different vintage pairs I inherited from one of my grandmothers.

fwiw if I were shopping the shozaburo ones on Strata at least look interesting.

I got one cheap kitchen shears from local warehouse, I don't usually use them, only use for cutting box or plastic bag, I never use them to food, always knife, Even crab legs or fish fin, I saw some video from YouTube they're using kitchen shears to cut thought bone, but I think kitchen shears are too slow, just wondering anyone here love to use shears to deal with food or basically not many people use it. 😳😳😳

I got one cheap kitchen shears from local warehouse, I don't usually use them, only use for cutting box or plastic bag, I never use them to food, always knife, Even crab legs or fish fin, I saw some video from YouTube they're using kitchen shears to cut thought bone, but I think kitchen shears are too slow, just wondering anyone here love to use shears to deal with food or basically not many people use it. 😳😳😳

I think theyre very useful with poultry.

slow? sure. but you know not everyone wants to use a knife to carve up a chicken, and some of us live with folks like that, so we buy them shears, and let them go slow but feel safe.

My one absolutely irreplaceable use for kitchen shears is doing that thing where you take the bones out of the chicken without breaking the skin. A skilled chef taught me how. When you're done, you stuff it with rice and many other goodies, then deep fry. I get hungry just describing it.

I can't imagine getting in there and cutting those ligaments and such with any kind of knife, without cutting the skin. I'm sure there are people who can do it, but I sure can't.

I use to use kitchen shears to mainly cut up chicken parts. Then I changed my style of chopping chicken. Since shears are terrible at cutting most other things not food related they became mostly useless but I still keep them around as a reminder of my constant need to waste money.

What's your new style? I use shears when cutting chicken carcasses into 1-2 inch pieces for stock because I feel like I create a mess if I use a cleaver to chop through them. There was always some little bit meat that ended up on my kid's artwork or something on the other side of our kitchen peninsula.

I use poultry shears to spatchcock chicken, but that's the only time I use them.

Shears sound great until you actually use them. You realize the cheap ones you bought are not efficient and the good ones seems too over priced even though they are priced that way for a reason.

When I bought whole chickens regularly, shears were a great tool to balance out the dull knives I was using at the time. As I got better knives and ate less chicken, the shears became worthless.

In fact, I'm about to throw away those useless shears right now.

What's your new style? I use shears when cutting chicken carcasses into 1-2 inch pieces for stock because I feel like I create a mess if I use a cleaver to chop through them. There was always some little bit meat that ended up on my kid's artwork or something on the other side of our kitchen peninsula.

Keep in mind @ian that I don't eat chicken as much nowadays. Not enough fat.

Shears sound great until you actually use them. You realize the cheap ones you bought are not efficient and the good ones seems too over priced even though they are priced that way for a reason.

When I bought whole chickens regularly, shears were a great tool to balance out the dull knives I was using at the time. As I got better knives and ate less chicken, the shears became worthless.

In fact, I'm about to throw away those useless shears right now.
As I don't buy whole chicken, only eating the breast make me feel like pointless to get a shears for poultry. Maybe get
Quality one when my girlfriend realize cheap one is just trash. 😳😳

The good thing about good quality shears is that you can easily separate them and sharpen them. The cheap ones tend to either be fixed or have screws that can be a put off.

Also cheap shears will often have one edge that is faintly serrated. Which keeps them from being useless against a wet paper bag. Normally good quality shears don't do this, but of course there are exceptions (here's looking at you food network with your over priced gimmicky kitchen ads, and also you William Sonoma with your luxury brand cutlery that is anything but luxurious).

From my research they're rebrand tojiro kitchen shears with bigger handle & bigger blade, I don't have a quality scissors yet, either my girlfriend said she don't need scissors, anyone in here use scissors a lot? What do you mainly use kitchen shears for?

They've modified the design? How can one tell if it's the newer ones or older stock?

I have a pair of Tojiro scissors bought about 6 years ago, have used is a lot for snipping fish fins, cutting chickens for spatchcocking, etc. They're fine, but I find the handles very uncomfortable for my hands. Been wanting to pick up a pair of Mac scissors.

They've modified the design? How can one tell if it's the newer ones or older stock?

I have a pair of Tojiro scissors bought about 6 years ago, have used is a lot for snipping fish fins, cutting chickens for spatchcocking, etc. They're fine, but I find the handles very uncomfortable for my hands. Been wanting to pick up a pair of Mac scissors.
I saw an old thread tojiro kitchen shears & kagayaki shears looks exactly same, but kagayaki come with bigger handle & longer cutting blade, but I can't find the thread right now, from the picture I saw, they look exactly same. I assume Koki modified kagayaki shears, improve the handle & size.

Last time I spatchcocked a turkey I went and found my aviation snips. Worked like a charm.

My Lefties from Ernst Wright have been in the works (delayed several months due to COVID restrictions in the UK) for a while. I might get them in June. Very excited.

12 pack of kids safety scissors for cutting blue tape for labels because people don't steal them and they don't cut holes in my pant pockets or aprons.

Misuzu silky scissors when I need nice ones, which stay hidden in my knife case until I actually need them.

I used a pair of Henckels poultry shears with the leaf spring and curved blades for many years. No complaints other than the spring leaping out and the ensuing hunt for it. I have since accumulated an embarassing collection of shears and scissors. The best seem to be the cheapest under $5 Chinese models. Shears are great for cutting a whole chicken in half after cooking. I have been on a quest for the best scissors for Dungeness crab prep. The red-handled Silky-like scissors seem to be the best for the legs. The Global shears ($$$) are great for cutting through the joints. I sprung for a Toadfish crab cutter for the claws, but they only work on crabs over 2 1/4 lbs. Just received a burly Garrett Wade 8" pull-apart set, but alas, it's Pakistani stainless steel. The Yoshihiro 7.5" pull-apart might be worth a try, but I really have to cut it off.

Back