Any Ultimatum m390 reports?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
rutabaga is what they are called where i am.

A common confusion, especailly north of the Mason-Dixon line. I grew up in New York and my mother called rutabagas turnips. I didn't learn the difference until I moved to Pensacola. They are not the same.

1.Rutabagas are bigger than turnips.
2.Since Palaeolithic times, turnips have been a staple food in many parts of the world. Rutabaga is an 18th century invention, which is a cross between a turnip and a cabbage.
3.While the turnips come white-fleshed, rutabagas are yellow-fleshed
4.While the flesh of turnips remain whitish after cooked, the rutabagas changes to yellowish-orange after cooking
5.While turnips come with 20 chromosomes, the rutabagas have 38 chromosomes

Rutabaga:

file-6.jpg

Turnip:

file-7.jpg

haha cool thread and end up with Kens video :lol2:

I do thinning jobs and internationals but not on that kind of knives, i have handled couple of knife from them and its not something i will do again better to buy new knife ;)

Harsh yes, but why buy a knife that immediately needs work to be a cutter? Too many quality knives available that have nice geometry, cost less, and function better than the Lamson 'projects,' unless of course it is a project you are looking to find. And yes, I realize that many here would be bored without a good project.

:D

you might wanna check out ken ********'s video on it on youtube.

[video=youtube;dpZjPUAffZI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dpZjPUAffZI[/video]

This video HAS to be a joke because I can't stop laughing!!! :rofl:

Hmmm I'm increasingly thinking that this is going to be exactly that, a "project". Il have a go on the old diamond. Even if I try half an hour a day. I think if the steel wasn't so intriguing I would simply resign it to a drawer.

A common confusion, especailly north of the Mason-Dixon line. I grew up in New York and my mother called rutabagas turnips. I didn't learn the difference until I moved to Pensacola. They are not the same.

1.Rutabagas are bigger than turnips.
2.Since Palaeolithic times, turnips have been a staple food in many parts of the world. Rutabaga is an 18th century invention, which is a cross between a turnip and a cabbage.
3.While the turnips come white-fleshed, rutabagas are yellow-fleshed
4.While the flesh of turnips remain whitish after cooked, the rutabagas changes to yellowish-orange after cooking
5.While turnips come with 20 chromosomes, the rutabagas have 38 chromosomes

Rutabaga:

file-6.jpg

Turnip:

file-7.jpg

i wasn't clear: where i am, a swede is called a rutabaga. a turnip is called a turnip.

I just think that we're going away from the actual issue, which is taking an already purchased Ultimatum and helping the owner get the knife he was hoping to get.

We all know they're fatties, with a one track grind (convex is king), but how do we get the knife to where it should be, performance-wise. The owner bought the knife believing he was getting one thing and upon arrival, discovered it not to meet his standards. The two options are: return it; get it fixed by someone willing to do it. So, who here, in this awesome, giving community will take the project? Don't worry, you won't catch Lamsonitis from doing it.

$250 for a knife that, from looking at that pathetic grind, cuts like crap. No thanks. Whats the point in using the latest super mega ultra unobtainium super steel if the final product is a dog.

This is all my opinion only...

The Lamson project knives appear to use the formula of good steel = knife sales and this (as we've seen) obviously holds true to some degree but unfortunately for the end user good steel ≠ a good knife.

If the contractor of these knives can find a competent knifemaker to re-profile, re-grind, and re-sharpen these knives then they'd (maybe) have a winner here. As they sit now they're only half way done for what users at our level will expect.

you might wanna check out ken ********'s video on it on youtube.

[video=youtube;dpZjPUAffZI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dpZjPUAffZI[/video]

Maybe I'm crazy, but using his hand as a platen, gloves or not (arguably more dangerous with the glove), does NOT sound like a good idea. I've seen a belt cut deep into flesh before, WITH a glove.

EDIT: Just noticed he did the same thing later without the glove.

Whats the point in using the latest super mega ultra unobtainium super steel if the final product is a dog.
Because by and large people buy keywords and reputation and popularity, not products.

It doesn't matter if your product is a steaming heap of horse crap: slap the word organic on it, or show people Rachael Ray eating it by the spoonful (Yum-O!), and it'll fly off the shelves. If unobtanium is popular amongst your customer base and you can find a way to bring it to them cheap, it doesn't matter if the final product is a dog. They're still going to buy it.

Thanks for trying lefty :)

I'm still on the fence with this, returning isn't an option as I've scratched up the knife already to test thinning speed. If there's someone out there who has the skills and equipment and wants to see what they can do with this, I may just give them the knife as in current state, I will never be using it anyway.

Thanks for trying lefty :)

I'm still on the fence with this, returning isn't an option as I've scratched up the knife already to test thinning speed. If there's someone out there who has the skills and equipment and wants to see what they can do with this, I may just give them the knife as in current state, I will never be using it anyway.

Hell, I'd take it, and would post updates of the project here.

I don't think you should lose hope on the knife. It really doesn't need THAT much thinning work. My TKC is probably 1.5x as thick as the tanaka and still performs very well.

How are these made? Are they machined in quantity or does someone actually grind them? I'm actually pretty curious.

It does look like there's a good amount of material behind the edge.

sorry if it sound harsh, but i think wear out your 100 USD diamond plate and stones, is just not worth it, or pay extra to send it out to somebody els that will use bunch of time on it.
Then there is a risk that you will mess all up in the end, and trow it into garbage anyway :scared4:
If it was cheap knife, softer steel, soft cladding etc. then it will be fun project :)
But full hardened knife for 250 USD, its better to buy 2 mm plate in same steel and start to make your own grind :D

Maybe I'm crazy, but using his hand as a platen, gloves or not (arguably more dangerous with the glove), does NOT sound like a good idea. I've seen a belt cut deep into flesh before, WITH a glove.

EDIT: Just noticed he did the same thing later without the glove.
Boneheaded moves is Ken's natural state

To be honest it sounds like you're throwing good money after bad. Did you have to pay much Import Fees and all that stuff? Other than that, what about sending it to one of Ken's minions? Maybe they'll be determined to prove you wrong and thin it for you

Latest posts

Back