Anybody else have a portable kit they use?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This is what I take back and forth to work when needed. It's also a handy place to keep most of my supplies at home in one place.
The bag started out as a tool bag from Sears bought back in the 80s. I didn't ever use it until I started putting my digital camera gear in it. Once that camera died it sat in a closet for a few more years until I decided to re-purpose it as it is now. Very handy dandy.
I've got a couple towels, my two stones (Shapton 1k and Cermax 1k/3k), some sand and polishing papers, backers for the papers, a squeeze bottle of mineral oil, and my new old leather strop.
porta-kit.jpg

I'm also lucky to have a big Norton tri-stone at work for heavy lifting.

i dont have any portable kit, but if i was forced to bring something it would be either the glass stone seven in 500 grit. or my dianova 30/60 micron diamond sharpener. its only 3mm thick so its very portable and indestructible. i have the large model. the active surface is 150x40.

Dianova-Professional-bryne-med-fodral.jpg

for full size stones i'd say a 220-500 glass and a 1-3k in a pro box is as portable as it gets.

Spyderco Doublestuff 2 and/or Poltava Metallic Bonded CBN in 1"x6"

I've used these on all kinds of knives and tools.

The spyderco is good for pretty much any blade shape you may come across and comes in a leather pouch

The Metallic bonded CBN stone I have is about 400 grit. I've been planning to one day shell out for one a bit more coarse and another finer and sticking them together like the spyderco doublestuff. Maybe rounding over an edge too for serrated and recurves. Then making a leather pouch for it

Back