Anybody have any examples of Heian Okishiba Masakuni knives out in the wild?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daizone

Reaction score
Was just wondering if anybody has any Heian Okishiba Masakuni knives out in the wild. I would love to see some images of his work if anybody has any.

Was just wondering if anybody has any Heian Okishiba Masakuni knives out in the wild. I would love to see some images of his work if anybody has any.

@j22582536 has two that are definitely real Okishibas (i.e. correct tang stamp and I believe at least one has the little ‘Oki’ stamp on the ura too; as opposed to some supposedly Okishiba blades that just have some kanji chiseled on the hira saying ‘Okishiba make this one’)

He has posted photos of them before but we could definitely do with more photos here! (Hint hint @j22582536)

@j22582536 has two that are definitely real Okishibas (i.e. correct tang stamp and I believe at least one has the little ‘Oki’ stamp on the ura too; as opposed to some supposedly Okishiba blades that just have some kanji chiseled on the hira saying ‘Okishiba make this one’)

He has posted photos of them before but we could definitely do with more photos here! (Hint hint @j22582536)

Hahahaha yeah I do have a few Okishibas. His hamon is kinda different from blade to blade, so it requires some experience to identify them. The easiest way is to just check the tang for “平安城 正國作” or “正國作” stamps.
FA69F976-2CA8-4BFC-A3F1-7F4D016E3A9E.jpeg
E131B83C-413B-4D09-86D4-57EE60FCC484.jpeg

Hahahaha yeah I do have a few Okishibas. His hamon is kinda different from blade to blade, so it requires some experience to identify them. The easiest way is to just check the tang for “平安城 正國作” or “正國作” stamps.View attachment 113081 View attachment 113082

Beautiful stuff.
The Masakuni stamp has been used by Genkai too, so no guarantees that it’s explicitly Okishiba with the lone 正國作 stamp unfortunately

The full Heianjo Masakuni stamp however was only used by Okishiba.

Lovely blades either way.

Beautiful stuff.
The Masakuni stamp has been used by Genkai too, so no guarantees that it’s explicitly Okishiba with the lone 正國作 stamp unfortunately

The full Heianjo Masakuni stamp however was only used by Okishiba.

Lovely blades either way.

I believe the Masakuni stamp Genkai used was “正国作” instead. Genkai uses simplified “kuni” kanji whereas Okishiba used traditional. I’ve heard that Okishiba only stamped “正國作” in his earlier years then added “平安城” in his later career.

I believe the Masakuni stamp Genkai used was “正国作” instead. Genkai uses simplified “kuni” kanji whereas Okishiba used traditional. I’ve heard that Okishiba only stamped “正國作” in his earlier years then added “平安城” in his later career.

I’m not sure I’ve seen a 正国作 stamp before, it’d be good to see what it looks like and what the blades looks like

I’m not sure I’ve seen a 正国作 stamp before, it’d be good to see what it looks like and what the blades looks like
Here’s a very old Genkai blade from a friend of mine. At first glance I almost thought it’s an Okishiba, the font of that kanji engraving on the hira and the hamon placement look so much like Okishiba’s work, but the tang shows 正国作 instead of 正國作.
D6F55901-8889-47E7-B940-BFCF7B19567C.jpeg
B957FE7B-5AE7-463D-973A-84492DC668C0.jpeg

a rare collector-illuminati has appeared, and has deigned to grace this plebeian forum with pictures!

wow

Mukai Yoneo more like Mukai Yoneo-gonnafindone

Here’s a very old Genkai blade from a friend of mine. At first glance I almost thought it’s an Okishiba, the font of that kanji engraving on the hira and the hamon placement look so much like Okishiba’s work, but the tang shows 正国作 instead of 正國作.
View attachment 113089View attachment 113090

That is a good looking blade.

The photos look like what usually gets posted on auction listings and they’re never good quality.

I think proper photos from your friend would do the blade more justice.

Regardless, Genkai has used both Masakuni stamps (and this comes from someone that has actually been to see Genkai in person ).

So yeah, like I mentioned before the Kuniyuki stamp alone doesn’t necessarily prove an Okishiba made blade.

Hopefully I’ll get the opportunity to see the legend in person one day too 😍

Back