Anybody here on a plant-based diet?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
But we still have "THOSE" meals. You know, a big ole chunk of meat and lots of fatty starch. Topped off with sugary, fatty, sometimes full of gluten dessert.

The healthiest I've ever felt was when I went pescatarian with no processed foods. I replaced all of my normal meat consumption with legumes and cutting out processed foods just meant I naturally ate more fruits, vegetables and nuts. Managed to do that for 18 months before the dishes I was making started to feel too repetitive. Lamb/chicken/beef just add so much variety, without them I was repeating the same meals too often.

I think a vegan diet is probably one of the healthier diets if you replace the meat with legumes/mushrooms instead of processed vegan-meat and junk food. Most vegans I know fail badly at this and aren't in great shape after a couple of years. I only know one girl that actually follows a healthy vegan diet, she also tries to compensate for the lack of B12 and Omega-3. I think Omega-3 is the trickiest because there's no plant based source of EPA/DHA and ALA doesn't convert well in most people.
EHA and DHA are both plant based, you just eat them once they've bioaccumulated in fish. Algae synthesize these, and you can get purified forms from algae without the fish intermediate.

Huli Huli chix over kaiwe wood & coals. My favorite bird.

The soy based fake meat is healthy Seventh day Adventist eat a lot of that stuff live to over 100.

We get the Rocket fake grown meat. I throw it in lots of stuff these days. Have a herb garden. Can "elevate" the flavors.

We got the stuff from a demo at Japanese cultural center. The guy selling it had triple bypass surgery years now he is skinny & healthy.

Called up to reorder couple bags. Gave us free shipping. Same Island got it in two days.

EHA and DHA are both plant based, you just eat them once they've bioaccumulated in fish. Algae synthesize these, and you can get purified forms from algae without the fish intermediate.

Good to know, I've never seen non-fish EPA/DHA products. Makes sense though since it is algae based, I'm looking forward to the GM canola seed that contains the same gene, easy omega-3 intake.

I have been oscillating between vegetarian, vegan, and pescetarian for the last ten years. Which diet I follow mostly depends on what is locally available, affordable, and high quality. Living on the west coast, I just cannot resist ultra fresh sustainable fish. I have also experimented with plants+fish but, despite what you might think of west coast USA, it's actually substantially harder to be pesce-vegan here than in my native Germany. So many great milk-product substitute products don't exist here.

I find myself have the best sports performance when eating virtually just veggies, beans, and accent meals of fish. Corn and wheat definitely bloat me, as does milk. Eggs, cheese, and such lead me towards unhealthy meals but of course you could also make great high performance healthy food out of them.

I'd definitely encourage anyone to cut as much meat and low quality milk out of their diet as possible. Adults don't need huge amounts of calcium and low fat milk is actually just sugar water at that point.

One additional thing:

I think there is no ethical, environmental, or health reason to avoid a small subset of animal derived foods, namely: mussles, clams, and insects. All three, in my books at least, do not have ethical standing commensurate with other wildlife and farming them actually frees up land relative to even high efficiency non-meat farming, in terms of land area, fetilizer, etc per calorie or gram of protein. Thus, eating insects likely saves loves of endangered animals and such

They are also super tasty and healthy

I did the vegan thing for 2-3 yrs back in my late 20's. I felt pretty good and then started to work out, mostly bike riding and got super fit. Then one night I smelled Burger King and in a moment of weakness I goorfed down a hamburger - 1 hr later I was in an ambulance in the absolute worst pain I've ever had in my life. Turns out that it's not so good for some people to quit meat altogether and I happened to be one of them. What happened was that my gall bladder took a crap inside me when it tasted the Burger King and had to be emergency removed the next day. This then led to floating gall stones (which had to be removed) in the common bile duct (more pain!) that somehow taxed my liver so badly that I had to spend 9 days in the hospital while hoping not to die from liver failure. After the recovery from that I had to quit drinking (which maybe was the reason for the weak liver in the first place) and I never stopped eating meat again. Of course now I'm an out of shape fat body with no energy...so there's that.

I tried being a vegetarian for about 4 years when I was in my 20s. It was difficult for me to keep up my weight then. I felt good, just looked like a bag of bones. Now that I am in my 40s, I found that loosely following a Mediterranean diet, only drinking water, black coffee and beer along with exercise produces the best results. I do eat healthy snacks, but I don't worry too much about it. For exercise, I road cycle mostly and run a bit.

I started about a year ago (mostly vegan) and was astonished by how much better my vitals became. I have always been healthy (for the most part) but so far so good. I do miss red meat but that is a discussion for another day! I have a really nice smoker in the garage:(.

I did the vegan thing for 2-3 yrs back in my late 20's. I felt pretty good and then started to work out, mostly bike riding and got super fit. Then one night I smelled Burger King and in a moment of weakness I goorfed down a hamburger - 1 hr later I was in an ambulance in the absolute worst pain I've ever had in my life. Turns out that it's not so good for some people to quit meat altogether and I happened to be one of them. What happened was that my gall bladder took a crap inside me when it tasted the Burger King and had to be emergency removed the next day. This then led to floating gall stones (which had to be removed) in the common bile duct (more pain!) that somehow taxed my liver so badly that I had to spend 9 days in the hospital while hoping not to die from liver failure. After the recovery from that I had to quit drinking (which maybe was the reason for the weak liver in the first place) and I never stopped eating meat again. Of course now I'm an out of shape fat body with no energy...so there's that.

I think that's pretty normal for anyone eating Burger King ;-)

Seriously, glad you're ok.

Funny thing, I am about to send you some knives to be sharpened. Some might even be made by you:).
Don't cut yourself!

Also, everyone knows that Wendys is better than the King...

As far as I know (I'm not professional and not trying to persuade you) but it's not very good to eat only vegetables or only meat. It's better to eat everything, unless you have an allergie or smth, but in a small portions.
As an example:
1: eggs or oatmeals
2: nuts/peanut butter/apples
3: meat or fish and rice
4: meat or fish and rice + vegetables
5: yogurt with fruits

Because your body needs full complex of vitamins to work and stay energetic

Thank you for the post. However, that is not necessarily true. There are many great resources and studies that would support otherwise. It is not easy at times but everyone needs to make their own choices.

Back