Anyone else get the Hattori KD email?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

Beau Nidle

Hobbyist Craftsman
Reaction score
Woke up yesterday morning to an email from Koki at JCK saying they had some KD's in stock for those who've been on the waiting list for them (like me since 2009). Of course the price was a little (!) higher than they were back in the day, but I went to the website anyway...every single one of them out of stock.

Oh well. Next time. Maybe.

parbaked

Reaction score
I missed that but I did pick up a limited edition Cowry X San Mai petty that I decided I don't really need...

inferno

Reaction score
cowry x is just a fancy name for zdp189 right?

Beau Nidle

Hobbyist Craftsman
Reaction score
Looking good Luke! My only complaint about the KD's has always been the handle. $2k knife with a micarta handle?

Luke_G

Reaction score
The micarta handles are surprisingly comfortable...the dimensions are just perfect

Qapla'

Reaction score
Looking good Luke! My only complaint about the KD's has always been the handle. $2k knife with a micarta handle?
Micarta? That's something actually reasonably modern. Hell, I've seen exorbitant prices for knives with utterly bassackward handles of unstabilized wood (e.g. magnolia, ebony, etc.).

inferno

Reaction score
unstabilzed wood is better imo. the glue sticks better with the tang.

and it also takes any finish you want.

Beau Nidle

Hobbyist Craftsman
Reaction score
Micarta? That's something actually reasonably modern. Hell, I've seen exorbitant prices for knives with utterly bassackward handles of unstabilized wood (e.g. magnolia, ebony, etc.).
Certain woods don't really benefit from stabilising, the really dense tropical hardwoods in particular like ebony and snakewood. In some cases it's a must though.