Anyone else lose taste and smell to this?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

Pointless1

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wasn’t diagnosed with C-19 but last fall lost my taste and smell. Still can’t smell a thing. I can taste salt, sweet, umami, but no subtlety. Just a yes it’s there kind of thing. Still enjoy cooking, and fortunately have done it long enough that I can do 99% unassisted though my wife now needs to taste for salt and pepper.

At least the phantom cigarette smoke smell went away after a couple months. That reeeeeally sucked.

Koop

Reaction score
It happened to me when I was undergoing head and neck radiation and chemotherapy. Took a long time to recover and it's never been the same. Now I suffer from gustatory sweating and don't tolerate hot, spicy food like I once did.

M1k3

Ah hell! give me a white wine spritzer!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've recovered my sense of smell and taste. I have random phantom scents pop up from time to time. Burning rubber, cheese popcorn and my favorite when it happens at work, burning paper.

Pointless1

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Glad you got it back! I’m hopeful but not optimistic if that makes sense. On the bright side, scooping litter boxes has no effect! On the down side, I have to wait for chemicals to affect me before I realize they’re there. Oh well.

RonB

Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's been reported that some of the so called long haulers that were suffering long term effects frmm Covid have fully recovered after receiving Covid shots. You might give that a shot, (pun intended), when you are eligible.

Ochazuke

Reaction score
I got COVID suuuuper early in the pandemic - like when they were still telling people NOT to wear masks. I lost my sense of smell and taste for about 4 months before it gradually started coming back.

Michi

I'm having a status just so I don't have no status
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's been reported that some of the so called long haulers that were suffering long term effects frmm Covid have fully recovered after receiving Covid shots. You might give that a shot, (pun intended), when you are eligible.
There is some evidence that even if someone has had Covid already, getting the vaccine is beneficial because it likely boosts the immune reaction more than the infection itself. There is also still not enough data to know how long any naturally acquired immunity will last, and the vaccine will most likely extend the period of immunity.

Last edited:

Corradobrit1

Reaction score
UK PM just got his first jab of the AZ vaccine and he was hospitalized with Covid last June. Nobody knows how long the Ab's remaining effective at fighting reinfection, weeks, months or years after contracting the disease. No reason not to get the immunization.
OP were you tested for Covid? Which test? How many times? Lateral flow or PCR? These tests are not 100% definitive, especially the former. You may well have contracted the virus, and been asymptomatic except for the loss of smell/taste.

Barmoley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ve read this too, that for people that suffer long term affects of COVID vaccine helps sometimes, about 30% or so. Definitely worth a shot, pun intended. I got my taste back, but smell not so much, only very faint and not all smells, it’s been a little more than a month.

I hope you get yours back. It is one of those where you don’t realize what you had until you loose it. There are some benefits like you said, cat litter and such, but in general would be good to get it back.

Pointless1

Supporting Member
Reaction score
OP were you tested for Covid? Which test? How many times? Lateral flow or PCR? These tests are not 100% definitive, especially the former. You may well have contracted the virus, and been asymptomatic except for the loss of smell/taste.
Never got tested for COVID because I never had symptoms during the known pandemic. Interestingly, I had COVID-like symptoms and issues in Feb-March but they were similar to the pneumonia related issues I had the previous year so I don’t think doc even considered Covid. Heck, don’t even think there was a test at that point. I also had long-haul like symptoms for several months but again, before we knew that it was a thing. Who knows.

As for getting a shot, Floriduh opens to 50+ on Monday and I was able to get scheduled on Tuesday! I am hugely pro-vax so I look forward to helping the herd.

DDCarter

Reaction score
Doing without the smell and taste for over 10 days already, getting back to normal slowly:) could have been worse

why-am-i-bleeding

Reaction score
That's absolutely terrifying. This virus is like the perfect kryptonite for all restaurants and restaurant workers

Pointless1

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah if I had to rely on these two senses I’d be SOL. I can’t make sauces or salsas that are seat-of-the-pants without a taster standing by. And I’ve way over-salted a few things. Stay safe and get the shots is all I can say.

why-am-i-bleeding

Reaction score
Yeah if I had to rely on these two senses I’d be SOL. I can’t make sauces or salsas that are seat-of-the-pants without a taster standing by. And I’ve way over-salted a few things. Stay safe and get the shots is all I can say.
I've also oversalted a lot of stuff lately.... dear god.....