Anyone ever buy a JNS reject stone?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pie

you.. you got any more of them rocks?
KKF Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m kinda curious, I’m sure I could just ask maxim about them, but anyone have any prior experience? I mean I wouldn’t expect a gem, but a pleasant surprise vs expectations maybe?

I’m kinda curious, I’m sure I could just ask maxim about them, but anyone have any prior experience? I mean I wouldn’t expect a gem, but a pleasant surprise vs expectations maybe?
I've bought a couple, one had a couple of lines that have to be digged, or a strange form factor.
The prices have been rised, in some cases the price is not far from regular ones.

Reactions: Pie
Most of them are not complete doorstops, I’m sure. I’ve been eyeing them, as The price is good (not as good as before, you’re right), but for my skill level I might not be able to tell the difference.

Most of them are not complete doorstops, I’m sure. I’ve been eyeing them, as The price is good (not as good as before, you’re right), but for my skill level I might not be able to tell the difference.

it's the opposite.

if you are not skilled a difficult natural stone is not just a little bit harder to use, it's a lot harder to use.

if you want something more modest from JNS get a smaller Shoubu from him. consistent, predictable stones.

it's the opposite.

if you are not skilled a difficult natural stone is not just a little bit harder to use, it's a lot harder to use.

if you want something more modest from JNS get a smaller Shoubu from him. consistent, predictable stones.
This is true, didn’t really think about it that way but it makes sense. Learning to ride a bike that doesn’t work right would be much more difficult.

In my limited experience having easy to use naturals is a huge boon. I have two natsuya one selected with help as an easier to use one and it's a joy. The other I selected because it was prettier, it's much harder to use and consequently is likely going to be sold.

Reactions: Pie
In my limited experience having easy to use naturals is a huge boon.
Agreed. For some reason I have this notion that harder to use stones will somehow produce better results, incorrectly of course. Really still learning the ropes 6 months into jnats, the tough thing is it’s not like synthetics where you know what you’re getting, but literally each natural is different. Feels like you gotta try/smell/taste them all.

Back