Anyone have experience with the Konosuke GS+ SLD line?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ampersandcetera

Reaction score
I've got a Yoshikane 240 in SKD which I love, and a friend on the line with me has an Ohishi 210 in SLD that is just a pleasure to sharpen so I've been looking at SLD for my next knife. Since I have bulk prep covered by my Mazaki 180 Bunka in W#2 and the Yoshikane, I'm think about a petty for fine/detail work.

I've got my eye on this one from Bernal Cutlery, especially for the price w/ a saya:
https://bernalcutlery.com/collectio...etty-sld-khii-chestnut?variant=39457133854872
Anyone have any experience with these? F&F, grind, edge stability, etc would be super helpful. The local shops here don't carry Konosuke stuff, that I know of, but there are definitely other options worth considering. Thanks.

I have a 240mm gyuto like this, is a laser but I wouldn't say it feels fragile as other thin knives. Sharpens easily, almost like a carbon and spine is nicely rounded, mine had a bit rough choil but few minutes with sandpaper fixed it easily.
I imagine a petty on this line will be really useful.

I also tried the 240mm gyuto before, Even though I like lasers but I felt GS+ Been too thin sometimes, with a little bit of flexibility, sometimes can’t cut it with complete confidence. It’s easy to sharpen but not as easy as my other Hd2 Laser. For petty might be a different story, if you prefer thin and little bid of flexible for precise work then it might be suitable for you.

Super thin, feathery light, could feel flimsy to some but I liked it. If you have to do paper thin garnishes this knife is great. It's all preference of course. But I loved mine and regret selling it. I'll probably get it again at some point.

Bernal did mention on their IG post that these new batch of GS+ they got in have a new grind. I'm not sure how different it is from the old. Take that for what its worth.

Also mine started out as a 210mm gyuto and gradually morphed into a petty/short suji/line knife. Super easy to sharpen.

Last edited:
I had the 240 for a minute as well. As others have said, it's very thin throughout and super light in hand but mine didn't feel overly flexible. Nice fnf, nice handle.

It feels pretty tough relative to how thin it is. Unlike some others, I didn't love how it felt on the stones. Not terrible to sharpen but not great either, in my experience not as easy to raise and remove a burr as, say, my SKD or ginsan knives.

As a home user I didn't click with it but I could see it being a nice tool in a pro environment if you want a sturdy, low maintenance laser.

I have that GS+ 150mm petty. Fit and finish is quite good - spine is rounded and the handle has a tight fit.

Although the spine is thin, the edge convexes/thickens faster than lasers like the Takamura R2 or Shibata Kotetsu. The GS+ therefore feels sturdier than the other two as well - not as flexible and edge is not as delicate. The best way to describe is in cutting an apple - you can feel the GS+ is thicker behind the edge when peeling the apple, but it then feels sturdier when cutting through the core of it.

So it's a trade-off, some might think the Takamura is too delicate (and I've had the micro-chipping myself), but all 3 blades are on the thin side of the spectrum.

Last edited:
Also mine started out as a 210mm gyuto and gradually morphed into a petty/short suji/line knife.
I use the little Predator all the time, including today's tonkatsu.
IMG_7089.jpeg

It's my go to lunch knife.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back