Anyone heard from Cris Anderson?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow, can you share which one? I’ve been trying once in a while, but not yet a carbon. I have an Aus10 in the mail still, looks promising but I anticipate re-grind being necessary.
Wasn't my knife, it was my brother-in-law's.
Re-grinding is definitely necessary in future, but at least with iron-clad carbon, the job is easy, the knife definitely feels a little heavy in hand. Then again, maybe this is their "workhorse" knife. If they did mid-weights or lasers, I can definitely see a crowd snapping them up.

Heads up for anyone who has an open project knife waiting from Cris...
Some headway being made with him...
Looks like knives might roll out..
If anyone needs his number to discuss their project , PM me...

Anyone heard from Cris Anderson lately? I ordered (and paid $1,432 for) a knife 6 months ago, and haven't heard anything since. He doesn't answer email or IG messages, and it looks like his last IG post was in February. PayPal has a 180-day limit on claims, so it's too late for getting a refund that way. Any help in contacting him would be appreciated.

Wow....
I would file the paypal dispute claim anyway... let them tell you that they can or can't help you.
If the money came from your bank account or CC (thru PP ) you could try filing a dispute with your bank.

Last edited:
@rick_english I’ve dm’d you his phone number.

If anyone else needs to reach him about an ongoing order, send me a dm and I can pass the number to you.
Thanks. I've called, texted, emailed, messaged--zero response. I've learned an expensive lesson: NEVER pay full price upfront for a knife, no matter how well-known and trusted the knifemaker is.

That really sucks. Last posts on social media were end of Feb. Gotta assume something really bad has happened. But even so Cris should at least be refunding prepayments.

This is why I've never taken pre-payments for anything. Yeah, it's cost me financially when people don't pay or whatever, but I'd rather be out money than owe something to someone and be unable/whatever to deliver it. I'd feel so awful, not worth it. I hope he's OK, despite this situation.

This is why I've never taken pre-payments for anything. Yeah, it's cost me financially when people don't pay or whatever, but I'd rather be out money than owe something to someone and be unable/whatever to deliver it. I'd feel so awful, not worth it. I hope he's OK, despite this situation.
These are the words of a good man, not everyone has the conscious that you have. If something bad happened to the maker as was suggested, that’s no excuse for not reaching out with an explanation. Even if you don’t have the money to refund the prepayment. Is it difficult to do? Yes. But it’s the right thing to do no matter how hard. And in the long run you’ll be a lot better off.

As a maker one of the nicest things about this profession is that for the most part you always get paid. Frequently I send out knives to customers before I get the money. The knife community always pays. I Never ever have to worry about collecting $.

There’s just no reason as a maker to take money upfront. Of course an exception might be a very high-end custom order with special materials that can’t easily be sold. And even then 10% is appropriate, up to 30% max.

The only reason I can think of that someone would require payment upfront is because they need the money, Which means that they likely aren’t managing their business very well

@rick_english have you tried Facebook? because there appears to be some activity there... but unfortunately it seems like no response is the response you’re going to get

As a maker one of the nicest things about this profession is that for the most part you always get paid. Frequently I send out knives to customers before I get the money. The knife community always pays. I Never ever have to worry about collecting $.

There’s just no reason as a maker to take money upfront. Of course an exception might be a very high-end custom order with special materials that can’t easily be sold. And even then 10% is appropriate, up to 30% max.

The only reason I can think of that someone would require payment upfront is because they need the money, Which means that they likely aren’t managing their business very well

@rick_english have you tried Facebook? because there appears to be some activity there... but unfortunately it seems like no response is the response you’re going to get
Found him on facebook, thanks.

Found him on facebook, thanks.

Hate to say it, but the guy is straight up stealing all ya'll's money. He posted 16 times on Facebook on October 1st, alone. He's posted multiple times today, as well. He's also posting a lot of weird stuff supporting white supremacist militia. I would just go to law enforcement at this point, this dude is a dead end.

https://www.facebook.com/crisanderson27
Here's a post from just one hour ago, has time to post about onion rings so why can't he answer your inquiries about the thousands of dollars he's taken?

[rest of the post removed by a mod]

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmmmm, to me the 'LOL' can be taken various ways, including having a laugh at the baseball hat. I get posting that someone who is avoiding emails, text messages, etc. is not, in fact, in some circumstances where they cannot communicate, but frankly I don't know why you would post any of his Facebook postings here that are not related to knives. Really not sure what his postings, or your conjecture, have to do with the situation where he has peoples' money and is avoiding any contact with them.

Hmmmm, to me the 'LOL' can be taken various ways, including having a laugh at the baseball hat. I get posting that someone who is avoiding emails, text messages, etc. is not, in fact, in some circumstances where they cannot communicate, but frankly I don't know why you would post any of his Facebook postings here that are not related to knives. Really not sure what his postings, or your conjecture, have to do with the situation where he has peoples' money and is avoiding any contact with them.

@WildBoar the relevance to the topic is clear. The issue is no one can get a hold of him, no one can get their money back. He is not responding to any communications. Meanwhile, people are speculating that something horrible has befallen him and are giving him the benefit of the doubt. They may very well change their minds when their learn that he is on facebook day in, day out, posting sometimes upwards of 15 times per day. And has indeed posted multiple times *today* as well. Not sure how you could think that has no bearing on the issue.

Indicating he is actively posting on Facebook is one thing, but you went beyond that in my opinion. You made a judgement about the content he was posting. That is what I flagged, as my post indicated "I get posting that someone who is avoiding emails, text messages, etc. is not, in fact, in some circumstances where they cannot communicate ..." I just wasn't sure why/ how your opinion on it came into play with the matter at hand.

Indicating he is actively posting on Facebook is one thing, but you went beyond that in my opinion. You made a judgement about the content he was posting. That is what I flagged, as my post indicated "I get posting that someone who is avoiding emails, text messages, etc. is not, in fact, in some circumstances where they cannot communicate ..." I just wasn't sure why/ how your opinion on it came into play with the matter at hand.

I guess the fundamental question is: are the overarching values and beliefs that a person openly professes to hold ever relevant to an evaluation of their conduct? I submit that the answer is "yes" and that we all, as people, routinely take that sort of information into account when making interpersonal choices -- including business transactions. As for it being a "judgment" on my part -- in all honesty, who cares? Read the post in context of all the others, it's pretty obvious where his head's at.

And I dont really understand the moderators' treatment of this issues as "political." I would've thought that rejecting white supremacy is an apolitical issue -- but apparently I'm wrong about that 🤷‍♂️

I don't know... i sometimes take deposits as high as 50%, but I'm not a maker. I've just found that it can be a motivating factor for people to follow through with the order. Early on, we had some custom orders where the person who ordered the knife or knives just decided he/she didn't want it anymore. Or, there were other times when the order was placed, but the customer wanted to cancel after the project had already begun being made. In response to that, we began taking deposits. That being said, we're not spending that money, so if its needed for a refund, its right there at any time. I think the biggest things here are probably a function of communication and acting in good faith.

*edit 10/3/20 8:05pm I thought i should also add that i am not condoning the behavior being addressed in this thread. I just saw the comment about deposits, and while i really understood where HSC was coming from, i just had a slightly different view on the subject.

Last edited:
Jon, you make good points. But what for you taking a deposit is most likely a small fraction of your total volume, makers that do that with considerable part of their orders, can easily run into trouble if they for one reason or another cannot work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back