Anyone heard from Cris Anderson?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Meanwhile, people are speculating that something horrible has befallen him and are giving him the benefit of the doubt. They may very well change their minds when their learn that he is on facebook day in, day out, posting sometimes upwards of 15 times per day.
More than anything, I was meaning regarding mental health - I really REALLY understand why people can get mentally overwhelmed and just pretend the outside world doesn't exist any more, living in their own little bubble. (See earlier comment about not taking money upfront as a hedge against this kind of event - i.e. I'm great at planning and so on but terrible at actually finishing things.) And indeed, it does sound like a mental health thing is what has happened to him, unfortunately, based on the evidence provided.

Having said that, I agree it's clearly time to get law enforcement involved based on the evidence presented. If you're breaking the law, you're breaking the law. But if the cops/prosecutors in his area are sympathetic to him, you may well find that because it's "the internet" that it's all just too hard, but at least you took the process as far as you could.

Last edited by a moderator:
That topic is very much political (especially) in US and is not going to be a point of a discussion on KKF. Period.

....Is all supremacy talk going to be out of bounds?.....

DB Edit: Yes. This is first and foremost a knife forum. There are other outlets for any other discussions you wish to engage in.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't care what he believes in, but just looking at his latest post, I have no doubt that if he choses to make such inflammatory statements on the internet, then anyone who decides to do business with him is taking quite a bit of a risk...

I don't care what he believes in, but just looking at his latest post, I have no doubt that if he choses to make such inflammatory statements on the internet, then anyone who decides to do business with him is taking quite a bit of a risk...

He's posted eight times today alone, many of which are along the lines of what you're noticing. So the dude is still quite active online, he's straight up ignoring all of the people trying get a hold of him, and y'all are getting scammed. 🤷‍♂️

He's posted eight times today alone, many of which are along the lines of what you're noticing. So the dude is still quite active online, he's straight up ignoring all of the people trying get a hold of him, and y'all are getting scammed. 🤷‍♂️

Last I texted him, he claims he turned off all his business social media. He responded reasonably quickly about two weeks ago, and I just texted him again today. I’ll keep everyone updated if I hear from him again. @rick_english If he responds, I’ll make sure to ask him about your order.

Along with all the other stuff, he's not shy with his pricing, is he?
Actually he went through a whole thing about pricing years ago. Like a regular business, he calculated all of his direct and indirect costs, production times, etc. and arrived at logical prices for his knives. The main problem though is that many makers did not charge that much, especially the ones who were not full-time makers. He priced his knives properly to cover all of his costs and make a living, but I don't think there was enough demand at those prices to sustain it for the long term. Many people who bought or borrowed one of his knives thought they were great performers, but he was up against a lot of lower priced great performers.

He priced his knives properly to cover all of his costs and make a living, but I don't think there was enough demand at those prices to sustain it for the long term.
Yeah, sometimes the answer you get from a business review is: "I can't make a living doing this thing."

He finally responded to me on facebook. He said he will refund my money after he sells another knife. I'm not holding my breath.

So, he finally talks to you and he puts you off by telling you he’s going to refund your money once he sells a knife? Sorry to say this but what he’s saying is I don’t have your money but once I do I’ll give it to you. What will most likely happen is by the time he sells that knife he’ll need that money for something else and he won’t be giving it to you.

So, he finally talks to you and he puts you off by telling you he’s going to refund your money once he sells a knife? Sorry to say this but what he’s saying is I don’t have your money but once I do I’ll give it to you. What will most likely happen is by the time he sells that knife he’ll need that money for something else and he won’t be giving it to you.
Of course...

What will most likely happen is by the time he sells that knife he’ll need that money for something else and he won’t be giving it to you.
Indeed - given his FB page is basically a series of ridiculously and incredibly obviously dishonest memes, I doubt anyone is expecting a good outcome from this.

He finally responded to me on facebook. He said he will refund my money after he sells another knife. I'm not holding my breath.
'never gonna happen... if he lives sale to sale to be able to refund your $, then chances are when he does make a sale, then he will need it for food, rent, or to print his manifesto :)

Well this thread and outside media have certainly been enlightening. Glad I have never owned any of his knives and don't intend on giving him any of my money, directly or otherwise, in the future.

Sorry for your sorrows, OP. Best of luck.

Agreed, perhaps the customers he rips off don't have the right background so he doesn't feel obligated to deliver. Who knows, maybe his political views might indeed be relevant to his business behavior and this topic 😉

Paying for a knife in advance is generally a very bad idea.

THIS!

Should be a public service announcement/pinned message all over this forum.
The most one should do is pay a deposit. I totally understand asking for one (materials etc) and the risk that the maker makes a custom knife that is hard to sell.... in case the buyer walks away, which also happens)...

Sadly life sometimes kicks some of the makers in the ass, and they don't all respond in the same manner. Over the years on knife forums we've seen the downfall of several notable members/ makers. Eammon Burke turned his back on everyone in the middle of the project where he had Catchside make him the pile of blanks (and Danny jumped in to save that, with a bunch of makers jumping in and offering to finish and handle the knives). Pierre Rodrigue turned his back as well, and had money from a lot of people; it was reportedly due to an injury at first, but he had been struggling financially for a couple years before that. As with Cris, in all these cases the person was a solid forum member for an extended period of time, and had many happy customers.

We all have adversity thrown into our paths multiple times in our lifetime. It's all about how you respond that makes a difference. There are several makers/ vendors who are still very active in the community that hit bad patches in their lives that resulted in them having a bunch of pissed off customers, sometimes for a couple of years. Thankfully for the the person as well as their customers and the community, they have all pretty much bounced back. And in some instances they changed their business models (i.e., they stopped doing most custom work and instead produce first and then sell).

This is terrible for all those concerned. I think I’ll stick with national vendors like I always do. What a pathetic and irating way to behave with paying customers.

I have a knife on order from Cris, but I haven’t heard from him in 5 months aside from a short message 2 months ago and his email is undeliverable. Has anyone spoken to him recently, or know what’s going on?
I have been getting a few texts answered... I believe he is making progress on the project knives people prepaid for..i also believe it will take a while still but I believe he intends to make good on them..

I have been getting a few texts answered... I believe he is making progress on the project knives people prepaid for..i also believe it will take a while still but I believe he intends to make good on them..
I get a text every month / few months. No real ETAs on anything but the intention seems to be there.

I am typically in favor of keeping business and politics separate. But if he wants to post his opinions on politics on a page he uses for business, who am I to say that's right or wrong?

I will just purchase from other vendors, considering everything that has happened. Sad to hear people have had trouble getting refunds/their purchases. Sorry if this post was too political.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back