Anyone Interested in Learning Technique With Me?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm in! For xmas I was given Ruhman's Twenty. I'm also a huge fan of Pepin.

Really looking forward to this.

So, each month someone new will present a new recipe/technique?

I like videos so we can see how it's actually done (or done incorrectly).

Several I would like to try
Paella - Ripert
Coq Au Vin - Ripert or Pepin
Duck Pate - Pepin

Btw, this is how I cook. This week, I'm trying saurkraut

Are you using a crock? That is one of my dad's favorite memories of his grandmother - getting in trouble sneaking saurkraut out of the crock while it was still fermenting. I would like to try Kimchi sometime.

I'm not sure I can keep up with most of the better home chefs here, much less the professionals, but I'm interested in playing along. I have a small collection of cookbooks (including Pepin's "Complete Techniques" and a few new ones purchased after reading Stefan's "favorite cookbook" thread here) and could use some motivation to crack into them and try new things.

Are you using a crock? That is one of my dad's favorite memories of his grandmother - getting in trouble sneaking saurkraut out of the crock while it was still fermenting. I would like to try Kimchi sometime.

That sounds familiar, my grandma also yelled after me when I did that :)

I'm not even keeping up with the thread I started, so I am not sure how much of a regular participant I could be, but some of these projects have been on my list also, like different types of stock, preserved lemons (or limes?). Need to make a bit of lemon-lime curd also, still haven't canned any tuna etc. Just what is 'leftover wine'? :D The other thing is baking a few of the basics - just a classic baguette, a whole grain loaf, and maybe some flat bread variation like naan is probably all I need. BTW, I do have the Pepin book. Not that I really used it, so far... Less interested in carving animals out of carrots...

Other than that, I envy Son for having met these two giants (Child and Pepin). I usually learn more in the 25 minutes of their showabout cooking and respect than in a whole day of the food network. Diners, dives and dumps, anybody?

O.k., I guess I'm in for selected projects but may have to woodwork at other times. Or write job applications.

Stefan

Very cool idea, I think it sounds like fun.

How is this going to work exactly? We all pick a technique--practice by fire--then share results/stories?

I already got started with the ballotine, aka KKF signature dish, but I'm up for more! I'm thinking tamales would be a good project to perfect!

Great, it sounds as if there are enough players. I think I counted around 16.

I was thinking that whoever wants to participate can suggest some dishes/techniques if they want to add to the list. You can also add as time goes on too so don't worry if you remember something later. Then based upon the order of replying a person chooses something from the list each month.

I know people are busy and some people might not have the requisite cooking tools, so don't worry about skipping something. Also, if someone has already done the item before, s/he is more than welcome to stand on the sidelines and just share their know-how. Pictures and video are welcome, but not necessary.

No book buying is required, so please share any source you might be considering or a person can just search the web to find their own source of inspiration -- there are many ways to do most of these things.

So send your suggestions of techniques to try and I will generate the list tomorrow along with participants.

k.

EDIT: Also, since there are more than 12, we could have two selections for the first months and people could choose which one they want to do (or do both as I probably will).

I'll do anything and everything so long as there are some instructions I'm super excited!

Here's some things that are on my "I've always wanted to master that" list:
Tempering Chocolate
Wellington(beef, pork, lamb, whatever)
Crepes
Kimchi
Cakes(just to the point of being able to make different kinds of cakes without measuring things, which is totally possible)
Fresh Pasta
Homemade Sausage(one of the few bucolic things we did not do as children)
Cheese(or yogurt for that matter)
Pizza crust(my wife is great at this)
sleeping enough

I'll add a few, including some I mentioned above:

preserved lemons
canning tuna in quality oil
baking baguette
baking whole grain bread
naan
making my own hot sauce (preferably so that it keeps a while in the fridge)
lemon/lime/seville orange/passion fruit curd
canning/preserving roasted red peppers in oil - or vinegar? (no idea how/if that works, I just love them and would love to have them at hand)
chutneys

love the chocolate tempering (and making truffles...) and sausage idea, but that fits neither with my current climate nor with my weight loss plans ;)

Stefan

Clearly no one is interested in learning technique with you.

I'm in. :viking:

I'm in. Got to dig up the 'wish list' at home. Off the top of my head, I know cinnamon rolls and cassoulet are on it. Would like to attempt confit at some point. Would not mind learning a pate or two in order to get bonus points form the wife (i.e., credits towrds buying more knives :cool2:)

Ok, I have tried to cull the names of members and what they would like to prepare out of the posts. Forgive me if I have forgotten anything or left anyone off. Just post or PM me if there are any mistakes. And since there are more than 12 people, I am thinking of taking Cadillac J's idea and for the first month and a half (Jan/Feb) and making it a free-for-all. People can choose anything off the list to try and the first ten to report results will get to pick a monthly technique starting in March.

Those participating (so far):
mr drinky (me)
unkajonet
rahimlee54
tk59
Lucretia
jm2hill
lowercasebill
DeepCSweede
EdipisReks
Pabloz
sw2geeks
johndoughy
mano
ejd53
Johnny.B.Good
apicius9
Cadillac J
SpikeC
don
Ontravelling
Andrew H
Marko Tsourkan
WildBoar

** sachem allison and bikehunter commented, but didn't say they were in. Just let me know if you are taking part.

Also, a special welcome to KKF newcomers: don and Ontravelling.

Now for the list of techniques to choose from (which can be added to at any time really).

* making vinegar from wine
* making hot sauce
* making a chutney
* canning/preserving roasted red peppers
* making kimchi
* making preserved lemons (or limes)
* canning tuna in oil
* making quick/small batch stock (Pepin)
* making a compound butter roll (with homemade butter)
* making cheese (or yogurt)
* making a curd (lemon/lime/seville orange/passion fruit)
* tempering chocolate
* making cinnamon rolls
* making Wellington (beef, pork,or lamb)
* making homemade sausage
* making beef jerky (using Alton's box fan method or make-shift oven dehydrator)
* tea smoking meats (oven or grill)
* making fresh pasta
* making homemade corn tortillas
* making tamales
* making paella (Ripert)
* making coq au vin (Ripert or Pepin)
* making duck pate or terrine (Pepin)
* making duck confit
* making a souffle (sweet or savory)
* making a cassoulet
* making crepes
* baking croissants, baguette, or whole grain loaf
* baking flat bread (pita or naan)
* making pizza crust
* achieving cake baking familiarity (being able to make different kinds of cakes without measuring)
* making David Chang's 5:10 soft-boilded eggs
* making potatoes gaufrettes (waffled potatoe fries)

Ok, I have tried to cull the names of members and what they would like to prepare out of the posts. Forgive me if I have forgotten anything or left anyone off. Just post or PM me if there are any mistakes. And since there are more than 12 people, I am thinking of taking Cadillac J's idea and for the first month and a half (Jan/Feb) and making it a free-for-all. People can choose anything off the list to try and the first ten to report results will get to pick a monthly technique starting in March.

Those participating (so far):
mr drinky (me)
unkajonet
rahimlee54
tk59
Lucretia
jm2hill
lowercasebill
DeepCSweede
EdipisReks
Pabloz
sw2geeks
johndoughy
mano
ejd53
Johnny.B.Good
apicius9
Cadillac J
SpikeC
don
Ontravelling
Andrew H
Marko Tsourkan
WildBoar

** sachem allison and bikehunter commented, but didn't say they were in. Just let me know if you are taking part.

Also, a special welcome to KKF newcomers: don and Ontravelling.

Now for the list of techniques to choose from (which can be added to at any time really).

* making vinegar from wine
* making hot sauce
* making a chutney
* canning/preserving roasted red peppers
* making kimchi
* making preserved lemons (or limes)
* canning tuna in oil
* making quick/small batch stock (Pepin)
* making a compound butter roll (with homemade butter)
* making cheese (or yogurt)
* making a curd (lemon/lime/seville orange/passion fruit)
* tempering chocolate
* making cinnamon rolls
* making Wellington (beef, pork,or lamb)
* making homemade sausage
* making beef jerky (using Alton's box fan method or make-shift oven dehydrator)
* tea smoking meats (oven or grill)
* making fresh pasta
* making homemade corn tortillas
* making tamales
* making paella (Ripert)
* making coq au vin (Ripert or Pepin)
* making duck pate or terrine (Pepin)
* making duck confit
* making a souffle (sweet or savory)
* making a cassoulet
* making crepes
* baking croissants, baguette, or whole grain loaf
* baking flat bread (pita or naan)
* making pizza crust
* achieving cake baking familiarity (being able to make different kinds of cakes without measuring)
* making David Chang's 5:10 soft-boilded eggs
* making potatoes gaufrettes (waffled potatoe fries)
I wish I could, but way to busy right now maybe the next go around.

Just out of curiosity, what techniques would you like to learn/improve on?

You can add me to that list. Some I already know, some I don't, bread baking has been pretty high on my list lately.

Just out of curiosity, what techniques would you like to learn/improve on?

My top five (in no order) would be:

* Pizza crust
* Preserved Lemons
* Vinegar
* A souffle (oatmeal)
* And Chang's 5:10 eggs

I'll probably do the souffle first. I've done kimchi, fresh pasta, bread, confit, cheese and hot sauce. Though there are endless variations on these, and I will probably take a crack at most of them again.

k.

Learning to bake fresh bread is high on my list as well. It was my late grandfather's specialty, and sadly, none of us ever thought to have him write down how he did it before he died (I assumed my grandmother would have it, but she doesn't). I purchased "The Bread Bible" (http://www.amazon.com/dp/0393057941/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20) in hopes of figuring out how my grandfather did it, but have yet to begin experimenting.

Homemade pizza dough would be fun too.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a good pizza dough recipe from the Italian government!

It's citrus season, and several people have said they wanted to try preserving fruits, so I say we start with that!

Let's pickle some Lemons! And Limes! And Yuzu! And Pomelos(whoever has the big jar)!

It's citrus season, and several people have said they wanted to try preserving fruits, so I say we start with that!

Let's pickle some Lemons! And Limes! And Yuzu! And Pomelos(whoever has the big jar)!

Sounds good to me. I also have a tree full of calamondins that I will preserve. I know that I have two different lemon preserve recipes on file and I also an Indian lime pickle that looked really good. I'll scan and post them tomorrow sometime.

k.

I'm a little late to the party but would like to participate as well as time allows.

Looking forward to this!

Johnny.B.Good: Since you're in the Bay Area, SFBI's weekend Baguette at Home course is well worth it. I've been baking bread for the past year using a lodge combo cooker with very good results. Limited shapes, but you don't have to fuss with trying to generate steam in a home oven.

Ok, through February there will be an unofficial preserved citrus theme (which I will be doing), but you can still choose anything from the list if preserves aren't your thing. First ten with reportable results get naming rights for the next months though.

I need others to force me to do things outside my box, so I am bowing out of choosing. (It doesn't mean I won't be doing things on the side though) ;)

k.

I'm in!

I really want to try some new things out and maybe this will help!

Those preserved lemons sound like a good idea as well.

Back