Anyone into flashlights?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, old thread, I know. But since this we last visited this thread I've been analyzing my day-to-day usage.

Everybody's needs are unique, but I find mine seem to the opposite of what the trend appears to be. Everywhere I read about people and their lights everybody wants them brighter, brighter, brighter. Which makes sense if you're illuminating large areas, searching at a distance or using them in a tactical situation.

But me, I use them mostly for localized task lighting. What I need the vast majority of the time is just enough light but no more. Surefire and other high performance lights are way too bright for reading a map or fiddling with controls on something, especially if you're trying to preserve your night vision.

The lights I find I use most are my Krill Lights, PALights and Infinity Lights. If my eyes are adjusted to the dark, I'll often use a PALight in "Constant Glow" mode. Even if I turn it on I usually use it in low power mode.

sr.

if i wanted 2 good led lights with the following spec, what should i get?
Number one:
- Size no issue (well should fit in a large pocket)
- budget $70
- as bright as possible
- reasonable battery life (CR123 acceptable, probably no need for rechargeables)
- needs to have several output levels
- no need for tactical quality
- Waterproof minimum 3 feet

number two:
- EDC
- budget $30
- Small
- Single CR123 / AA
- No need for tactical quality

Thanks!

I'm definitely no expert, but I am very happy with the Quark mini that Kyle has shown a few posts above. I have the smaller one for which the batteries are more expensive, but they seem to keep forever.

Stefan

if i wanted 2 good led lights with the following spec, what should i get?
Number one:
- Size no issue (well should fit in a large pocket)
- budget $70
- as bright as possible
- reasonable battery life (CR123 acceptable, probably no need for rechargeables)
- needs to have several output levels
- no need for tactical quality
- Waterproof minimum 3 feet

number two:
- EDC
- budget $30
- Small
- Single CR123 / AA
- No need for tactical quality

Thanks!

4sevens Quark X 123 and miniX123 in that order.

I remember those days.
No one mentioned old faithful.....

863_pic_2.jpg

Is the Quark 123 turbo X worth the extra $15 over the quark X 123?

Thanks

If you need a LOT of light. I have yet to find a situation where my 210 lumens is insufficient.

I got mine on Amazon, couldn't find it anywhere else at the time. I wish a brick-and-mortar around here would wise up and stock them. There are lots of places selling 1/3 the lamp for 3x the price.

Back