Anyone into kayak fishing?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boomchakabowwow

Reaction score
I am pretty sure a bass boat isn’t gonna happen anytime soon.

reasons: I’d need a newer and bigger truck, boat storage, and...well that enough.

I think I can swing a kayak. My friends ocean fish and no..I would freak out. LaMrs and ponds. Why not?
anyone?

I did a lot of fishing in Maine with my wide & light weight Canoe , 46 lbs. I felt it was a better option than Kayak as I could sit high or stand up to fish, also mounted a 2hp Honda engine that was so small could fit into my trunk & all I had was a sedan, no truck.

It was enough power to go anywhere including the ocean, was like small bass boat but a lot less hustle.

Last edited:
I used to spearfish off of a kayak, fished a couple times off of it, but didn't have a fancy setup or anything like the guys you see out there

When Kayak camping would run hand lines also had a pole holder for a rod & reel.

Kayaks work good for free dive spear fishing. We would paddle out to Rabbit Island off Makapuu beach.

Where do you live, and what are the local waters like? That's the limiting factor. It works some places better than others, I think.

I used to do a LOT of sea kayak fishing when I lived in South Florida, mainly around the Keys and the SW coastal Everglades. A kayak gives access to the shallow waters near the mangroves where powerboats can't go, even the shallow water types. I fished Redfish, Mangrove Snapper, Snook, the occasional small shark.

I used a basic small spinning reel setup, either "sight fishing" in the shallows, looking for movement, or just tucking the rod into a rod holder I built into the kayak deck behind my seat. In slightly deeper waters, I used to catch a lot of stuff just trolling a bright spinner lure with a rubber tail behind the kayak as I paddled.

The main consideration with kayak fishing, is what are you gonna do after you catch something worth bringing home? You'll need to figure out a routine with a soft cooler with gel packs or something, depending on how long it takes to get back to shore, get the kayak on your roof rack and get home. Easier if it's a landing where you can gut the fish and pack it in ice at a boat ramp.

We used those Frost Pac soft coolers made by Seattle sports. At least two each kayak. Gel pacs & fill containers to make big pieces of ice. Those coolers well made. Still throw one in the car when go to be Costco.

Been considering a float tube instead. I have a lot of small bass lakes around me.

Back