Anyone make their own XO sauce?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boomchakabowwow

Reaction score
I’m going to try. I have all the scallops and shrimp. I’ll find the rest tomorrow.

the meat. I see lots of ideas. Bacon to ham. What about pork sung? Thoughts?

such a great sauce when prepared right. however, mine was not that. FYI, the traditional recipe calls for Jin Hua ham, which i could not locate at the time. found dried scallops locally, but they were stupid expensive. got some off amazon, but i'm not sure i got the best quality. If i lived in a place like NY or LA I think I could source everything much more easily. I also think the frying process left one of the worst smells in the illustrious history of my kitchen. I ended up with a overly sour tasting sauce which is not what i was expecting and it did not compliment anything i made so it was a huge fail.

I would like to try again some time but i will make it outdoors and source further in advance and maybe with a different recipe.

I realize this is not what you asked for, but I make a killer vegetarian version, not the full on meaty shrimpy one. It was one of my favorite vegetarian recipes, so I’m going to share it because I think it’s really delicious. Skip on if you want shrimpy meaty goodness. I think I adapted it from here:

https://thebetternutritionprogram.com/recipes/better-xo-sauce-vegan/

im going to the store for shallots and red peppers.

i am going to make a small experimental batch.

My house smells amazing

image.jpg
532AD577-65C7-45B6-A38C-17087597276F.jpeg

I make it quite regularly and this was the source for my version. He uses dried shrimp eggs in his - no way I can afford them, so that is all that is missing. I reckon you could add some toasted and powdered katsuobushi.
Hokkaido scallops are the best to get hold of; often you can find the 2nd's i.e. the broken ones which have been sorted out, at a good price. Same as the whole ones, just broken :)
The ham is more difficult to source, so I have used a dry-salt cured ham from the Balkans. I reckon Parma ham would be the best, but it's very expensive. Another Italian Parma style would do.

This chefs methodology is the best I have seen.

I have bought from this seller in Japan; good prices, well packed, quickly shipped, good quality.

https://www.jauce.com/user/imamura9988
Another great sauce is Chef Wangs' garlic chilli oil - contains no fish but is recommended for fish heads and rice. My son eats it by the spoon full. Keeps in the fridge for 3 months or so. Also Chef Wang's cleaver skills are something to behold.

Enjoy.

There's sugar in it?
i put a teaspoon of brown sugar in mine. it did nothing..mabye added a depth of flavor. i'll probaby omit it next time.

it is savory, not sweet. i searched many versions, and just a few had tiny bit of sugar.

Of course hugs and kisses sauce will result in that. Be careful though -- it's probably just temporarily increased infatuation. To keep it going you will need to continually come up with new, awesome stuff.

Back