Anyone read Mandarin?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My wife spent a few weeks doing a summer program for high schoolers in Shanghai. She bought some decorative scrolls for souvenir gifts for people back home, but she didn't have time to get them translated. So she doesn't exactly know what they say. Do we have any Mandarin readers out there in KKF land? Or if you know a good way to do it on the interwebs or whatever, let me know please.

Thanks

IMG_1778.JPG

IMG_1781.JPG

First pic is mostly a poem by 梅堯臣 Mei Yaochen on Camellia: 南國有嘉樹,華居赤玉杯,曾無冬春改,常冒霰雪開。

The second pic is the idiom 鶴鳴九皋 "crane calls from the deep marsh", from the minor odes (小雅) in the Classic of Poetry (詩經).

@XooMG

Thank you so much. She looked at me funny when I told her that one of my knife buddies might be able to help.

I might put up 2 more later if you don't mind. It means a lot to her. She didn't want to gift stuff to people that she wasn't sure what it said.

Just off the top of my head here, the last one is a very famous poem by 唐寅 (more commonly known as 唐伯虎) (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tang_Yin) from the Ming dynasty, which he was one of the famous "Four Masters"

I don't even know how I can start to translate the poem into english ... Trying makes my head hurts so Im going to make coffee and come back

Sorry I don't have time to explain at the moment, but #1 and 3 are captions describing the painting. 2 and 4 are poems. Overall it's a seasonal theme. I can't see them super well so I apologise for any mistakes.
1. Looks like 漁都(?)瑞雪
2. Yuan poet 薩都刺 from《夢登高山得詩二首》萬壑泉聲松外去,數行秋(䆋)色雁邊來。
3. 長城春曉
4. @Xenif is right. 高山奇樹似城南,兀坐聯詩興不厭。 一自韓孟歸去後,誰人敢把兔毫拈。

Latest posts

Back