Anyone we know pick up this monster?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UglyJoe

Founding Member
Reaction score
From Carter's website:

100_6392.JPG

10.4 sun (315mm) gyuto. Damascus. It was a project on a new damascus type, I guess, and only cost the buyer $990! Way too big for my taste, but one heck of a knife for the cost. I guess because it was a "second" Carter marked out his maker's mark, etc., which is unfortunate, but even then for the price that's a crazy deal.

According to the website:

"*Experimental Damascus - A blade of this size would normally cost $3594.40."

No, I did not buy this knife. (Saw it too late. :slaphead:)

Don't know what you mean about erasing his maker's mark - "Carter" is clearly stamped on the blade.

Rick

I don't think anything is wrong with it. He was trying out a new Damascus, probably. Instead of tossing it or keeping it himself he just sold it at a discount. A knife like that isn't probably going to fill an order, and he's not going to have a knife sitting at 3k+ on his website for months on end. I assume he marked out the maker's marks so someone doesn't turn around and try and sell it at double the cost.

I wish I had picked it up. I wonder what the "defect" was. It really makes you realize why Carter's regular knives are so damn impressive.

Sounds like a good candidate for a passaround. Yo MC, whatup?

It was quenched in oil, not water.
It was also straightened differently than how Murray normally straightens his knives. This Damascus needed 'fullers' to alleviate stress in the blade, you can see this in the slight horizontal lines running along the grain structure.

edit to add: No one from here purchased it.

Sometimes Carter brands his knives on the reverse side. It depends on the particular line the knife is in.

Carter have really impressed me with his knives!

Jason: How come he doesnt brand this knife with the "ms" ?
http://www.cartercutlery.com/japane...ade-funayuki-ho-woodblond-buffalo-horn-handle

I guess you inform him about what goes on here on this forum?

murray has told me that he only marks what he considers hi sbest work with his ms stamp.....ryan

p.s.-i think it's pretty bad u would sell a second with your name with a line thru it....that tome is crazy.....why would u want second quality work out there?....makes no sense whatsoever.....ryan

I can't figure out what's so second-rate about it. So far it just sounds like it is different.

murray has told me that he only marks what he considers hi sbest work with his ms stamp.....ryan

p.s.-i think it's pretty bad u would sell a second with your name with a line thru it....that tome is crazy.....why would u want second quality work out there?....makes no sense whatsoever.....ryan

It is an expression of the virtue that abhors waste.

Just a guess.

Cheers,

Jack

Or someone who would rather have $1,000 in their pocket.

waste?.....putting out second rate knives just devalues your work if u ask me....ryan

Maybe, but Murray's prices have only increased over the years.

The second rate knives are, I would guess, only defective in the cosmetics department. Would I pay $600 for a MC gyuto? Not right now, but I'd have one hell of a time passing up the same knife with a ding in blade, or an imperfect choil at 40% off! If it works as well as a Carter Knfe is supposed to, then why not get it in the hands of a lucky and thankful fan?

I had that link open... for some weird reason it posted 8 minutes before i came online to check my mail... it was just staring at me. I keep shaking my head to stop myself from buying it then and there.

A real pity I needed the money for a really significant project (I'll share later if you guys are interested). I'm grateful for the chance to buy a second like that, and it beats having it melted down as scrap.

for an experimental knife, that is one sweet "looker" :eek:vg:

I wonder if he could make a few more of these experimental ones. Say in a 7.7sun or thereabouts....

waste?.....putting out second rate knives just devalues your work if u ask me....ryan

i dont think there'd be anything second rate about it, it's like factory outlet clothes shopping, normally there's nothing wrong with it, it's just 'last season' or something, and often they put a big X over the label inside the garment. as mentioned, murray probably just marked his stamp to devalue it's resale possibilities, which i assume clothes companies do too.

Back