Anyplace where restaurants are doing well?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Anyone live somewhere where restaurants are doing good business and pandemic restrictions aren’t stifling? I’m looking to either move or go on the road going to wherever isn’t locked down. Preferably where they’re hiring chefs/sous chefs, fine(r) dining preferred. Such a place might not exist but it’s worth the ask.

Florida is coming out of lockdown and with DeSantis as Governor we're not likely to go back. In addition to the day job I do some part time on call catering (knife money!) and am as busy as I want to be.

The restaurants that went to a take out model early have for the most part made it but with staff reductions. Now they're starting to hire.

Good Luck!

NZ immigration is really difficult right now, especially working holiday and its resources are geared toward the white collar support given the population size/labor pool or seasonal work for its big industries (wine). Are you looking to learn or make money?Vietnam and Taiwan would be on my list, maybe Malaysia or Singapore.

Money is not even on the board lol - I just signed a lease here in Milwaukee and I'm getting to the point where I'm willing to write off those funds. SE Asia sounds fun and educational if they'll let an American in (last I heard NZ won't?) I just want to be cheffing for real where people are going out and eating.

If you have any kind of reliable income stream in Milwaukee I would counsel patience for the next six months, the situation is unpredictable but likely to get worse before it gets better globally. Northern New England has been doing relatively well with respect to the virus and might be one of the earlier areas to recover but no guarantees. I can't speak for Vermont or New Hampshire but the Maine restaurant business is very seasonal and restaurant jobs even in non-covid years can be scarce this time of year, especially north of Cumberland County. The population centers of the West Coast might be another option but one for next spring more then now.
I don't think moving to NZ, Japan, Korea, Thailand, Malaysia, or Singapore are really viable options.

Nz is probably out but I'd do Florida if there's a low probability of the state shutting down. Restrictions in WI are onerous to the point where you can barely say I'm cooking or cheffing or restauranting at all -- and as of a couple weeks ago the population is scared enough that they're not going out regardless of the current legal status of the orders. So Thailand is a viable option for me, but it would be a big hassle that warrants more data gathering.

So Thailand is a viable option for me, but it would be a big hassle that warrants more data gathering.
My brother lives Thailand and used to own a bar there.
Problem with Thailand is that tourist industry has been zero for 7 months.
As such they need tourists not foreign labor. Not sure you could get a work visa.
Also visas are only going to folk from countries with no new cases for 30 days...

This guy provide useful info on Thailand.
https://www.youtube.com/c/RetiredWorkingForYou/featured

Chicago here and things not looking good. Sounds like bars are going to be shut down again, and son is in fast food and just said that they supposedly going to shut down dining in restaurants again.

Pick just about any Red State that seems appealing as many are only mandating “personal responsibility” to control the pandemic. I’m in a north Atlanta suburb. Few restaurants went under as we only had about a 3week shutdown. Some seem to follow zero restrictions-seating every table and no masks for the servers. Most seat every other table and the servers wear masks. The Governor forbid the cities from passing any control measures stricter than the states - which are pretty lax considering our rather high infection rate.

I just landed a new job in Philly and have been looking for the past month or So.
Ive not only noticed more restaurants hiring, but Also these are restaurants “of worth” To work at.

I know at least half a dozen people going to ski resorts, worth looking into. Especially since it's by season and things could change for better or worse by then.

NZ think still be has more sheep than people. Beautiful country. They have to have strict policy. They are in part of the world where billions of people live.

I wouldn’t call it political but “better” is an opinion I don’t agree with — I’d simply prefer to choose to be someplace where COVID-19 statistics aren’t a driving factor in government, business, or consumer decisions and behavior. Shoulda moved to Florida back in Oct - shrug

it also might be different if I lived somewhere where the government was doing more to directly help the individuals and businesses in the industries most affected by this whole thing; at least here in America, there has been nowhere near the level that you see in other countries. So the net effect is businesses going bankrupt or stopping operations long term, workers taking new jobs in different industries, while people and businesses in other industries are largely doing just fine or better than that - actual corporate earnings are up, personal savings rate is up... We’ll see what happens now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back