Apex Ultra Isasmedjan Passaround

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@jedy617, would you consider sneaking me in at the very end? i'm out of town over new years, but i'm guessing that won't matter.

i'll send you one of my knives to check out. maybe that markin dammy rex121? didn't get it yet, but probably will by then. also, i'm like 40min from you.

Just as an FYI to everyone, the PA knife appears to currently be in USPS purgatory. Not a big surprise with holiday shipping madness ramping up but hopefully it resurfaces soon.

Hey if there's still a spot, I'd love to be put into the mix!
Hey mate we're filled up to past the original 10 I wanted, and I hate to be that guy but you have a really new account without much posting activity which I also said in my initial post 😔. A bit risky for me I hope you understand.

Edit: if you've done lots of deals with members on here and can send me proof I can consider it

Hey mate we're filled up to past the original 10 I wanted, and I hate to be that guy but you have a really new account without much posting activity which I also said in my initial post 😔. A bit risky for me I hope you understand.

Edit: if you've done lots of deals with members on here and can send me proof I can consider it
Hey I totally understand. I definitely have a newer account. I did just participate in the Living Steel pass around from @thebradleycrew which that knife was valued at $850. Hopefully he can vouch for me.
I am also the owner of Northside Cutlery in Chicago if that helps at all too. If needed I do have a few things at the store that I would consider in a pass around exchange!

Hey I totally understand. I definitely have a newer account. I did just participate in the Living Steel pass around from @thebradleycrew which that knife was valued at $850. Hopefully he can vouch for me.
I am also the owner of Northside Cutlery in Chicago if that helps at all too. If needed I do have a few things at the store that I would consider in a pass around exchange!
Oh nice, didn't know you were on a previous passaround. Will add you to the list

I don't ship stuff before Xmas because of this.
I'm sure it will reappear. Best of luck

Yeah I thought close to 20 days out would be safe, guess not
It seems it got worse. Sold a knife beginning of December with premium Express and premium payment, so "super fast shipping".
Went to Brazil then back to Europe, Portugal, and again to Brazil

Well looks like no one is gonna get to try it at this rate. It is lost in the ether. USPS better stop messing around and do something, I'm going to be pissed if it's lost for good.
Serious bummer, I was hopeful the lack of tracking updates was just a minor delay with the holiday rush but seems like it's off the grid. Fingers crossed that it resurfaces!

Good news/bad news time... the knife reappeared on my doorstep this morning. Unfortunately it arrived tipped despite the large and sturdy-feeling case. It lost maybe 5mm of edge length:

PXL_20221219_183127054.jpg

PXL_20221219_183131140.jpg

Good news/bad news time... the knife reappeared on my doorstep this morning. Unfortunately it arrived tipped despite the large and sturdy-feeling case. It lost maybe 5mm of edge length:

View attachment 215001
View attachment 215002
Noooo I thought the case would be perfect along with some padding and the box. Oh well. You're free to sharpen it of course and reprofile. Sorry about that

Last edited:
Not sure if there was also an edge guard or something, but I could see a very thin tip snagging on that fluffy interior as the knife gets jostled and snapping that way. Probably worth adding a cardboard saya for next stops if something similar isn’t already in there.

Not sure if there was also an edge guard or something, but I could see a very thin tip snagging on that fluffy interior as the knife gets jostled and snapping that way. Probably worth adding a cardboard saya for next stops if something similar isn’t already in there.
I forgot if I added a plastic one or not. I remember trying but I did not have a plastic one that fit fully. Thought I would be safe with the big case, now I know

I forgot if I added a plastic one or not. I remember trying but I did not have a plastic one that fit fully. Thought I would be safe with the big case, now I know
It was in an edge guard that's shorter than the blade length, so the tip and heel were exposed. I expect the tip is somewhere in the case lining. To prevent any further damage I'll donate a larger edge guard when I send it on.

It was in an edge guard that's shorter than the blade length, so the tip and heel were exposed. I expect the tip is somewhere in the case lining. To prevent any further damage I'll donate a larger edge guard when I send it on.
Appreciate it. Yeah I remember I didn't have a large enough guard so I put it on the tip portion. Must have slid around

I am not part of this pass around but I started vacuum sealing all knives that I shipped in the past year. I think it works really well, stops small damage like this and keep knives from rusting.

First impressions time - used it for a quick dinner prep last night. Like my last Isasmedjan, it has an unusual weight distribution that makes it feel heftier than you'd expect for the weight and spine thickness. I did a little side by side test with my trusty Kipp WP and while it weights 20g less, you'd swear it's the other way around from how the Isas feels in use. Aggressive (but not extreme) forward balance and a somewhat unique feel in hand relative to most of my collection.

It's a good cutter, came shaving sharp so didn't touch it up, despite losing the very tip the front end is still great for fine work. Minced shallot and garlic and was very pleased. I did feel a little wedging/stiction further back in some mushrooms, not sure if this is caused more by the grind or finish. Profile is good in the sense that I didn't really notice it. Overall a really nice knife and quite good performer, although in terms of balance and feel in hand it's pretty different from what I usually gravitate to.

Back