Apex Ultra Isasmedjan Passaround

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just went over and got this from @timebard. Can’t wait to use it! I can tell from the balance and profile that I’ll get along well with it, even if it’s got that sad tip damage. I’ll give her a little touch up on the edge to feel the steel and get her back to shaving. Stay tuned for my report!

Attachments

• 5F6F469F-5A30-432C-A71C-5D5586AD9D87.jpeg
    5F6F469F-5A30-432C-A71C-5D5586AD9D87.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 0CF544F1-4893-4065-B8EB-F34565FBEE7D.jpeg
    0CF544F1-4893-4065-B8EB-F34565FBEE7D.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
She’s a beaut! What a patina monster. Stripped on an 4K and leather lightly and brought it back to a great edge. Overall impressions so far is I like the F&F tons. This is a comfy knife. Also dig the profile a lot. Great push cutter. I was also impressed with the performance of the tip despite its lack of tip. Great performer that looks great doing it. As a note, I wish this was a heavier knife. I feel like everything about it wishes it had a bit more weight behind it. But then again, I like heavier knives. When comparing to my migoto blue 1 wide bevel (which is a similar weight) I feel like that grind on the migoto is a bit thinner and moves through product better (of the stuff I’ve cut so far). It’s absolutely a sweet knife though. I would definitely hit up Jonas for a heavier version of this. The apex ultra seems like a really nice balance of characteristics as well. Nice bite, good refinement, and I’m guessing it’ll hold its edge life well too.

Attachments

• 50489CBE-67E8-430B-A698-6D9117F31D9E.jpeg
    50489CBE-67E8-430B-A698-6D9117F31D9E.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 8F3BDF21-710D-42AF-A017-2D03C5D08689.jpeg
    8F3BDF21-710D-42AF-A017-2D03C5D08689.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
Gonna send it off tomorrow. Fun knife and I stick to my initial impressions. Couple more patina pics because…. Why not? It’s a beautiful knife.

Attachments

• 8F035640-283F-4130-9853-4E0A3E7A1BDB.jpeg
    8F035640-283F-4130-9853-4E0A3E7A1BDB.jpeg
  • E1814130-93D0-4667-AA12-D4CD3AD39422.jpeg
    E1814130-93D0-4667-AA12-D4CD3AD39422.jpeg
  • 53E1BE38-FAF5-406A-996A-D614F9EC0BEC.jpeg
    53E1BE38-FAF5-406A-996A-D614F9EC0BEC.jpeg
  • 4E6364CE-DFC8-4054-96F7-29AEF1C35356.jpeg
    4E6364CE-DFC8-4054-96F7-29AEF1C35356.jpeg
  • 875D5C35-5977-4D9E-979E-F09AD167BFEB.jpeg
    875D5C35-5977-4D9E-979E-F09AD167BFEB.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
Is there a spot left?
No offense but why don't you guys just read the post...you are the third person asking to get in after you can see it's been past 10 people.... c'mon guys. I hate saying no to people.

"I'm limiting the pass around to 10 people depending on demand, USA only."

I really wanted to limit this to a smaller group, to minimize wear, and to get it back in a reasonable time period. It's been 1 month and so far only 2 people have used it (that being said it was USPS fault that it was a week or so late.)

But fine, I don't like to say no to people. You can join but please no more guys, I really said 10 for a reason.

No offense but why don't you guys just read the post...you are the third person asking to get in after you can see it's been past 10 people.... c'mon guys. I hate saying no to people.

I really wanted to limit this to a smaller group, to minimize wear, and to get it back in a reasonable time period. It's been 1 month and so far only 2 people have used it (that being said it was USPS fault that it was a week or so late.)

But fine, I don't like to say no to people. You can join but please no more guys, I really said 10 for a reason.
Thank you! I apologize I should have read more carefully before asking. I do appreciate the opportunity

And Happy New Year!

Hey folks. I enjoyed my chance to use this knife. It is really nice to be able to try out stuff at minimal cost (shipping) and see how you like things. For me, I've had two Isasmedjan knives that I've owned before, and this is the third one I've used (for reference). Of note, I've sold my two previous ones because I didn't love them that much.

With this knife, I wanted to see how Jonas' work has evolved. That said, if I were to put out a BLUF on this knife it would be: Just meh, it's OK but not a knife I'd ever buy or keep; not as good as anything currently in my rotation.

So perhaps it reaffirms my view that Isasmedjan knives are not for me, but I want to give some feedback on what, specifically, I disliked.

1. Grind - the grind is OK, but not great. Distal taper isn't strong enough for my liking and the blade stays thick through the tip. It's thin enough behind the edge, but is a relatively narrow bevel and though faded across the blade, it's really obvious the blade stay thicker through the middle than it could/should be. As a result, it doesn't do great in dense foods and makes you work to move the knife through things. It's not a knife that feels easy to use.

2. Profile - this really annoyed me. There was absolutely no flat spot on the blade and in fact, it even had some upward curve by the heel. See my photos. It's a big sore spot for me. Foods with skin close to the board were not strengths of this knife as the profile means you were forced to rock to cut through things. This is not for the push or pull cutting person.

3. Steel - Apex Ultra is great stuff, but this iteration felt glassy on the stones to me. It didn't take an edge as quickly as I liked and it didn't provide great feedback on my finishing stones. Meh, I think it could be better.

4. Other - small details like the handle being installed crooked and the tip being chipped (see previous posts) really took some of the joy away from this for me. I'm a sticker for details at times and performance combined with aesthetics just didn't sit right with me.

I used this compared to the following knives for reference: Ashi Ginga Western Stainless, The Nine 230mm wrought dammy clad Blue 2, Kamon 250mm 1.2519, Ryusen Blazen 240mm R2, Bazes 200mm wrought iron clad VToku2. In my view, all of the above performed better than the Isasmedjan.

But, this is why we do pass arounds. Some people love things, and others not so much. For me, this was a great chance to try the blade out at minimal risk and/or cost, and provide my thoughts. Thanks to @jedy617 for putting it together and sending it around. It's off tomorrow to the next host.

Well I'm glad to at least give you the oopportunity to try one again!

Also guys you don't have to be stuck with the broken tip. Whoever is up for it can give it a fix.
And I should add - this is still a GREAT knife by any standard. I just have a really refined taste at this point and am fortunate enough to have a group of really exquisite knives at my disposal. I'm hoping my comments didn't come off as complaining, downbeat, or negative - just trying to get my thoughts out there clearly and concisely.

And I should add - this is still a GREAT knife by any standard. I just have a really refined taste at this point and am fortunate enough to have a group of really exquisite knives at my disposal. I'm hoping my comments didn't come off as complaining, downbeat, or negative - just trying to get my thoughts out there clearly and concisely.
Nah real feedback is appreciated. I feel like a lot of the problems might be mitigated in a non MCX build, because remember these are collabs with profiles set between modern cooking and Jonas. I have a honyaki and a damasteel by Jonas that are ground much thinner and have flatter profiles

Nah real feedback is appreciated. I feel like a lot of the problems might be mitigated in a non MCX build, because remember these are collabs with profiles set between modern cooking and Jonas. I have a honyaki and a damasteel by Jonas that are ground much thinner and have flatter profiles
Thanks - I didn't know that, so that is good to hear!

Same here on my honyaki by Jonas that I’m selling. Very nice thin convex grind and a flatter profile.

OK, I fixed the tip @jedy617 - see photos before/after. I think the profile still looks great and despite the rather large chip, it looks back to normal. I need to finish out the spine towards the tip, but that won't take much more time.

I put a full 1k edge on it only. It's crispy, really crispy. @brimmergj - finish the edge however you like or leave it crispy. I also didn't focus on the edge from the heel forward about 1" since it is already "low".

Attachments

• IMG-0690.JPG
    IMG-0690.JPG
  • IMG-0691.JPG
    IMG-0691.JPG
  • IMG-0618.JPG
    IMG-0618.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
OK, I fixed the tip @jedy617 - see photos before/after. I think the profile still looks great and despite the rather large chip, it looks back to normal. I need to finish out the spine towards the tip, but that won't take much more time.

I put a full 1k edge on it only. It's crispy, really crispy. @brimmergj - finish the edge however you like or leave it crispy. I also didn't focus on the edge from the heel forward about 1" since it is already "low".
Looks great, thanks dude 🙏

Back