are brussel sprouts played out?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
David Chang from Momofuku did a spin off of this recipe with his brussel sprouts. It got ordered so much that he took it off his menu because thats the only thing people cared about. I made it on thanksgiving, and it is divine.
https://food52.com/recipes/19682-momofuku-s-roasted-brussels-sprouts-with-fish-sauce-vinaigrette
The water, vinegar, and sugar are absolutely crucial as it enhances/dilutes the intenseness of the briny goodness.

thanks. i am gonna try this tonight!!

my 10-year anniversary dinner.

(with Braised Ox-tails as the main + some carb..prob grits/polenta)

Brussel sprouts were sent to Earth by Satan to corrupt mankind. That's all I have to say about them.

I love them. And now it's season for them here in Brussels ;)

Never seen a recipe to make them in the oven. I must try. I always just cook them until done with butter added on top.

Never seen a recipe to make them in the oven. .

really?

they really shine from the oven. i keep it simple. i cut them in half..keep that end intact so they tiny half stays connected. toss with oil lightly..salt them. toss them in an oven spread out in one level (big sheet pan). i go 350F (you do the math)..and pull them when the edges are browning. if i am not lazy, i go in halfway with a spatula and toss them about.

put them in a bowl..taste to check salt..add pepper and a sprinkling of parm cheese.

really?

they really shine from the oven. i keep it simple. i cut them in half..keep that end intact so they tiny half stays connected. toss with oil lightly..salt them. toss them in an oven spread out in one level (big sheet pan). i go 350F (you do the math)..and pull them when the edges are browning. if i am not lazy, i go in halfway with a spatula and toss them about.

put them in a bowl..taste to check salt..add pepper and a sprinkling of parm cheese.

They are quite good fried in duck fat and finished with a dash of nori komi furikake as well.

My favorite way to prepare brussel sprouts is: not at all. because they're vile infernal creations. Like a wannabe cross between a pigmy broccoli and midget cabbage.

Pro tip of the day.

Bwuahahahahahahaha :rofl2:

99% of all restaurants make terrible Brussels sprout dishes which keeps people from ordering the dish which leads restaurants to taking any dish with Brussels sprouts off of the menu because they are too arrogant to realize that burnt Brussels sprouts is a sin that shows you have a need to torture your customers. If Momofuku had a dish that was that popular it wasn't that their version was good, it's that it was probably the only restaurant at the time within a thousand miles that actually made an edible dish with Brussels sprouts in the first place.

On another note, I never experienced the boil to death cooking that most people experienced in the great days of WWII and Vietnam conflicts, but I would guess the fear of food borne illness caused people to develop a style of cooking that made sure if you got sick it wasn't from unseen critters attached to your produce and tiny worms crawling around the meat.

Also most men, although brave in the battlefield, were cowards at home. Any man that can not tell his sweet wife that her (insert over boiled|fried|roasted|baked or tasteless) dish sucks is not a real king of the house and needs to develop some back bone, testicles and testosterone. Also yellow paint removal from his back should be performed by a trained professional.

So I tried baked ones. Ok-ish. But for me they can not compare with boiled ones. Properly cooked just before serving and then directly on a plate with some butter on top.

What's not to like?

. Any man that can not tell his sweet wife that her (insert over boiled|fried|roasted|baked or tasteless) dish sucks is not a .

while i would NEVER claim any dominance..bestowed to me by my crown; i never could fake loving my wife's cooking. we joke that she doesn't cook for me, she "experiments ON ME". and we laugh...!!

i cook - 100%; which ironically makes her LA REINA..the Queen.

So I tried baked ones. Ok-ish. But for me they can not compare with boiled ones. Properly cooked just before serving and then directly on a plate with some butter on top.

What's not to like?

Steamed works well too. I haven't tried it, but they would probably be good cooked sous vide with some butter in the bag. Then a quick hit with the blowtorch for a little browning.
:)

Steamed works well too. I haven't tried it, but they would probably be good cooked sous vide with some butter in the bag. Then a quick hit with the blowtorch for a little browning.
:)

Sous vide for cooking Brussels sprouts would be an overkill. Anyway I started to develop a hate thing for the sous vide. Nothing that comes out of it tastes good.

Sous vide for cooking Brussels sprouts would be an overkill. Anyway I started to develop a hate thing for the sous vide. Nothing that comes out of it tastes good.

Really? I just started dabbling with it (Joule). Lobster tail is terrific. Carrots with a pan glaze are great. I made a pulled pork shoulder in a 21 hr cook and oven finish for bark (cheating with liquid smoke) that came out much better than crock pot. On the other hand, steak sous vide with a pan sear and blowtorch finish isn't a success so far. I like it, but my wife doesn't like the "red to the edge" look when it's cut, vs. the gradient you get with a grill or pan sear cook.

I get what you're saying if you mean only sous vide, since most of those examples involve a pan or oven finish of some kind.

Tried the Momofuko sprout recipe, subbed honey for the sugar in the dressing. That was quite possibly one of the best sprout dishes I've ever had. Going to use that vinaigrette in other things now too.

Tried the Momofuko sprout recipe, subbed honey for the sugar in the dressing. That was quite possibly one of the best sprout dishes I've ever had. Going to use that vinaigrette in other things now too.

This seals the deal. I'm heading to the farmers market this weekend for supplies.

Really? I just started dabbling with it (Joule). Lobster tail is terrific. Carrots with a pan glaze are great. I made a pulled pork shoulder in a 21 hr cook and oven finish for bark (cheating with liquid smoke) that came out much better than crock pot. On the other hand, steak sous vide with a pan sear and blowtorch finish isn't a success so far. I like it, but my wife doesn't like the "red to the edge" look when it's cut, vs. the gradient you get with a grill or pan sear cook.

I get what you're saying if you mean only sous vide, since most of those examples involve a pan or oven finish of some kind.

I must say that my experience is not that big but every single time I used it I was not happy with the taste. I started with steaks and alike. I tried cooking times between 1-3 hours. Of course I seared them well (in a pan). I am with your wife on the "red to the edge". I am missing slightly bigger grilled part. But this is not the main issue, the main issue is that the stake is not tasting like the grilled one is. The taste and to some extent the texture of the "cooked" part is not right. And it gets worst the longer you cook it.
This experience is similar also with sous vide staked I was eating in restaurants.

Last weekend I tried octopus. I was really looking forward as everybody is saying that it is phenomenal cooked sous vide. So tender that it melts in your mouth... I was really tempted as I know that properly prepared octopus is to die for.
So I tried it: 5 h on 77C
After cooking I put it on top of the potato and veggies that was baking in the over. 10 mins and I got nice sear.
Again I did not like it. Again the main problem was the texture but specially the taste. It just tasted wrong. I couldn't even finish the plate.

So from now on it will take a lot to convince me that something can taste better from sous vide compared to normal cooking. I am still hoping tho.

I usually cut them up super fine, then blanche them a little, say a min or so. Then fry some bacon lardons and onion in a pan, add the sprouts. Pour some honey in, add a bit of cider and a little butter. Let it reduce until it turns to a glaze and the whole thing is sort of sticky and that's it, super nice

The main issue I find with them is .....flatulence. Therefore only ever eat them at weekends

Back