Are rough / unpolished handles comfortable enough for kitchen knives?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

josemartinlopez

Reaction score
Are rough / unpolished handles comfortable enough for kitchen knives? For example, is a rough horn handle OK for a main gyuto or chef's knife that will be used frequently or are you better off with a smooth wood (or other) handle? I've heard the discussion for hunting and pocketknives, but not kitchen knives. I was just wondering as I was just holding my rough horn handled cheese knife and was wondering how a larger knife with a horn handle would work out.

M1k3

Reaction score
Hard corners are more bothersome to me, within reason. I wouldn't want a handle finished on 80 grit sandpaper, but, find around 400 grit is acceptable.

big D

Reaction score
I have not used many different type of handles. My favorite is the common D shape Ho wood. Second is the octagonal Ho wood handle. They tend to get dirt ingrained into the wood after a lot of use in my house. Thought of oiling and waxing them but really do not want to lose the feel the natural wood has and not sure how much that will change it. Will do it one day on one to see. Heard Burnt Chestnut has a good feel to it also. To me the natural Ho wood has a secure grip to it, other types feel a tad slicker, smoother.
D.

kingdingelling

Reaction score
I'm prefering smooth wood finished with 400-600 grit. Depends on the type of wood. When using wrong/too much oil or wax it can become slippery, especially ebony.

childermass

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I tend to like my handles finished around 240, maximum 320 grit. It makes for a nice grip when moist but is still fine enough for a pronounced grain and nice feel.

daddy yo yo

Reaction score
200-400 is what I would go for, depending on the wood and one‘s preferences...

Nagakin

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Heavy pinch, so my handle is basically a pretty counterweight.

Bear

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Heavy pinch, so my handle is basically a pretty counterweight.
Same here, I like a nice ebony handle as long as its balanced, I finish mine with a couple of coats of BLO and even put a coat of wax on them, I hold the knife with the pinch. I'm a finish carpenter so there's something about a rough handle that just doesn't set right with me. I'm sure its different in a pro setting.