Are taxes/tariffs charged when purchasing knives from Japan?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I was looking at some online Japanese knives stores and they all have disclaimers that buyers are responsible for all taxes/tariffs etc. I guess this is primarily for the EU. Are knives for personal use imported to the US from an online Japanese retailer subject to any taxes? If so is there a dollar amount trigger/limit ? Thanks!

Ive made purchases in excess of $500 and not paid import duties. A lot depends how shipped. EMS is best. UPS, Fedex and DHL may incur additional fees

The import duty exemption is quite high ($800?) if the item is for personal consumption.

USA: as long as total value of package including shipping does not exceed 800 USD you do not pay any import taxes.

EU: basically anything you import is subject to taxes of around 30%

AUSTRALIA: used to be anything under 1000 AUD did not get charged but may have changed this month from July 1. But no set amount has been listed on their government webpage yet

Taxes and customs in EU for imports from Japan might lower through the new Japan EU trade deal.

Japanese retailers normally charge 8% tax on top of price

Not if they’re an actual licensed export company. They don’t export with Japanese tax.

If you’re dealing with a non export licensed company they do not get their taxes back and will charge 8 percent. Ten starting next year in October I believe, for now.

The only time I've had problems with customs and duties was when Okapi in South Africa sent me a dozen of their cheap folders. I got a call from customs in Portland to come fill out paper work to pick them up. When I got there they wanted me to guarantee without opening the package it didn't contain switchblades. Far as I know Okapi doesn't make switchblades but I didn't pack the box so I had no way of knowing what was really in it. They wouldn't let me open it to check. We argued for sometime about that but eventually they charged me something like $32 duty and let me go. That was probably more than the knives were worth wholesale.

Wondering if someone can help clarify something related to this old thread topic, as I can't find a reliable-looking answer anywhere. Does anyone know the time period the US $800 limit resets in? I see mixed things online, some say the limit resets in 14 days, some say it is 30 days. Can't find a clear answer in CBP anywhere.

Wondering if someone can help clarify something related to this old thread topic, as I can't find a reliable-looking answer anywhere. Does anyone know the time period the US $800 limit resets in? I see mixed things online, some say the limit resets in 14 days, some say it is 30 days. Can't find a clear answer in CBP anywhere.
I can't answer your question but I can share my recently experience regard ship kitchen knives from Japan to USA.

I have 4 orders all by DHL(EMS not available at this time) in last 3 months.
1.$1500 value and requested to pay duty(5.4%) and fees ($15).
2.$350 value and no duty and fees requested.
3.$650 value and no duty and fees requested
4.$1200 value and requested to pay duty (6.7%)and fees($13+$35).

I don't know what triggered the duty request but I had been never asked for duty when I used EMS for the service in the past few years.

Hope this help a bit.
Mike

USA: as long as total value of package including shipping does not exceed 800 USD you do not pay any import taxes.

Damn~ it’s nice that in US you don’t have to pay import tax for things under $800. In Canada basically anything above $20 is taxable 😭 Like seriously...$20?

With Japan Post EMS you will never be charged by US Customs if valued under USD 800. Plus it will be delivered for signature and it will not even be opened by customs. Unfortunately though EMS service to USA is still suspended due to COVID. There is a 10% sales tax on goods in Japan but sales to overseas destinations are exempt.
Other carriers are now being used at their higher cost.

Damn~ it’s nice that in US you don’t have to pay import tax for things under $800. In Canada basically anything above $20 is taxable 😭 Like seriously...$20?

You can get them to mark it as a gift, and then you get $80.

It's been a crap-shoot this year for me from the US with a 50% getting hit rate. From anywhere else, I've not been charged.

Back