Are there any foods or dishes that you never had and want to try?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm worried about how one procures sperm from a cod. :eek:

-AJ

Pork butt smokes for 8 hours or so.

I think the cod sperm is contained in sacs much like roe and collected when cleaning the fish.

For Sea urchin sperm--spray a little high-salinity water in their mouths, and thar she blows!

Low points-
Kopi lewak
rocky mountain osyters
the internal organs of sea cucumber

I laughed my ass off when I read the rocky mountain oysters...I live in Colorado, so somewhat of a delicasy here.

My list:
Kobe beef...real stuff
Real black/white truffles
$500+ French wine...oh hell, any wine that expensive
Whisky that actually tastes good...I am damned to be shellacked for typing this

I pretty much try whatever meets my fancy, short of excessive cost. I spend way too much money on food, considering I live alone and rarely eat out. I am enjoying the comments though!

There are lots of exotic things I still need to try. Turtle, bear, pigeon/crow, alligator, shark, sea urchin, jellyfish, mouse, ostrich, kangaroo, snake and horse all come to mind. I'm particularly interested in alligator and shark. I've always wanted to eat a carnivore that isn't a fish. I guess sharks are fish, but whatever. I know where I can get alligator, shark, ostrich and horse but just haven't gotten around to it. If I got a chance I'd probably try cat or dog too, but I'm not really looking for it.

Haggis is another thing I've always meant to try.

A really well-aged steak is another.

My parents are from Laos (little non-famous country in Asia). So I've probably eaten some of the most bizarre stuff. Talk about every part of a cow... I think I've tasted every part right up to the last few inches of intestine.

But a food I cringe to even think about is Indian food. The cumin just isn't my thing.

Man, lots of Kobe Beef on here. You know you can get Kobe from a lot of specialty grocers. It's not cheap(Central Market has it for ~$45/lb), but you can totally get some, and baby it at your house.

This may surprise/shock/offend some people, but you can make way better food at home than you get in 99.9999% of restaurants, because you can really slave over it and focus on the flavor and experience.

There are lots of exotic things I still need to try. Turtle, bear, pigeon/crow, alligator, shark, sea urchin, jellyfish, mouse, ostrich, kangaroo, snake and horse all come to mind. I'm particularly interested in alligator and shark. I've always wanted to eat a carnivore that isn't a fish. I guess sharks are fish, but whatever. I know where I can get alligator, shark, ostrich and horse but just haven't gotten around to it. If I got a chance I'd probably try cat or dog too, but I'm not really looking for it.

I like you, Craig.

I'm feeling pretty good about my worldliness now, I think I've had maybe 75% of the responses. I'm surprised by that.

Snake is another one on my most wanted list.

-AJ

Everybody talks about tuna, fresh tuna. I hate the canned stuff, but the fresh, really makes me want to have some, prepared properly.

You could get 90% of the stuff u wanna eat in Singapore. There's deep fried shark's meat served with braised noodles, turtle soup, pigeon in fine dining establishments, alligator or rather croc is pretty common, sea urchin u can find in almost all gd japanese restaurants, jellyfish is available at most chinese restaurants that offer wedding dinner packages, ostrich and kangaroo u can find in the australian restaurants, snake in the chinese herbalist restaurants, well-aged steak at morton's of chicago or wolfgang puck's CUT. Only thing missing are mouse, horse, bear, crow.

I love chicken fried steak so much but hard to get up in Canada.

Also, have never had real authentic southern bbq. I love meat so would one day like to plan a vacation to visit different parts of the southern states and make it a bbq tasting trip.

We should get together and cook sometime. I live in Hamilton and Southern US cooking is my specialty and that includes Cajun/Creole, Soul Food and BBQ also.

In fact, today's breakfast was biscuits and gravy with homemade sausage and farm-fresh eggs...

Have you been to that "Hillbilly Heaven" place? How is it? Heard about it while it was making the rounds in the media for their controversial signs, but haven't heard anything about it before on chowhound or other food blogs.

I'm in GTA but never been to Hamilton before.

I am surprised nobody has thrown in Lutefisk. Lovely Norwegian dish of lyed cod that falls into my disgust for things with jellied texture. Every five years or so I will try it and have only had it once where it had a solid consistency. Anyone try it and like it? There is a joke that the only freedom that Norwegian immigrants sought was to flee the dreaded dish.

My grandfather was a trapper by trade and lived off the land, so I have tried just about every animal in Wisconsin at one time or another. Highlights for me are Ruffed Grouse, Racoon, Squirrel, Ducks, Geese, Pheasants, Whitetail Deer, Snowshoe Hare, most fish and Bear. Lowlights - Diver ducks(fishy tasting and barely worth eating), river oysters, carp, beaver.

Everybody talks about tuna, fresh tuna. I hate the canned stuff, but the fresh, really makes me want to have some, prepared properly.
They serve it on the long range sportfishing boats out of San Diego California. As fresh as you can get. I had bluefin strips off of a flopping bluefin with wasabi and soy sauce. Don't see how I will ever top that for fresh.

I have had Kobe beef in Tokyo and Kyoto. Very tasty.
I actually want more moose steaks. Had some from Alaska and it was quite good. Hope to have it again.

They serve it on the long range sportfishing boats out of San Diego California. As fresh as you can get. I had bluefin strips off of a flopping bluefin with wasabi and soy sauce. Don't see how I will ever top that for fresh.

Bluefin is not actually best eaten extremely fresh (immediately after death). It needs some time to "age", by that I mean allowing rigor mortis to set in before it is at its best flavour and texture. This goes for other fish too, not just bluefin tuna. But bluefin tuna is so huge it takes longer to 'age'.

Bluefin is not actually best eaten extremely fresh (immediately after death). It needs some time to "age", by that I mean allowing rigor mortis to set in before it is at its best flavour and texture. This goes for other fish too, not just bluefin tuna. But bluefin tuna is so huge it takes longer to 'age'.
That is interesting I have had a lot of restaurant sashimi and didn't know that. Thanks. Btw bluefin is the only fish I like to do that with. These were 40-60lb class tuna. For cooked fish wahoo is my favorite.

Another little trick of good sushi chefs is that they cut the fish and let it rest a while and come to room temperature before they make pieces with it. That way, you taste the flavor much better than when it's cold from the fridge.:)

I think everything tastes better at room temperature! (I hate ice cream that is too cold, and hot soups that are too hot!)

As someone else in this thread said earlier, i would really like to learn to make a terrine or pate or something of the sort.

Another little trick of good sushi chefs is that they cut the fish and let it rest a while and come to room temperature before they make pieces with it. That way, you taste the flavor much better than when it's cold from the fridge.:)

Thanks useful tricks. With my Japanese knife obsession and cooking obsession. I know I will be making sushi and sashimi.

I call bullsh*t on this. I'm with Deckhand on this one. Fresh tuna belly from a live beast is a flavor second to none. Did you know the flesh is warm after its fight? Can you say you eaten a bluefin right after it been caught? I eaten plenty of good bluefin sushi I can say while everyone's entitled to their opinion, I'm not buying it 'cause you read it in a book somewhere...

Pesky

I call bullsh*t on this. I'm with Deckhand on this one. Fresh tuna belly from a live beast is a flavor second to none. Did you know the flesh is warm after its fight? Can you say you eaten a bluefin right after it been caught? I eaten plenty of good bluefin sushi I can say while everyone's entitled to their opinion, I'm not buying it 'cause you read it in a book somewhere...

Pesky
I have not personally but I have trust in the science, I don't have any reason not to believe. Its in a lot of fish books, not just one. But I have read that if the Tuna had a big fight before getting caught then that does speed up the process.

While I haven't had any experience with live Tuna, I have noticed it (but in a very fast way) when dealing with smaller live fish.

No answer to this I have had fresh on boats and waited and had chilled. Like it either way. I am a barbarian love lots of wasabi so probably wouldn't catch the subtlety. One thing for sure bluefin will have a good fight before they come in not like yellowfin that not always, but will sometimes suicide straight up to the boat and gaff.

Here's my :2cents:.

Fish has to strike a balance between flavor and texture. When the fish is alive, it's texture is fantastic, but the compounds that create flavor are locked up and working, doing their original jobs. If you are eating the belly, you are eating something that is anywhere from 20-60% fat, which does not perform a task, and it's flavor compounds are just stored up as available nutrients. As a fish degrades after death, more flavor busts out as the initial stage of decomposition, and it makes the flavor more accessible to your palate, but the texture suffers.

There is a traditional method in Japan of catching a tuna and burying it in the sand for 1-3 days before digging it up and eating it, for this reason.

Back