Are there any foods or dishes that you never had and want to try?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I always wanted to try the Turducken. The reason I never had it is plain availability and thinking that it maybe really hard to cook well and easy to overcook or even worse, undertook. I also not certain if it'll taste as good as each part separately, cooked well.

Other dish I never tried is baked ziti or other pasta other than lasagna. My question there is simple: why would you want to bake pasta unless it's a leftover dish. Surely, there are dozens of way to make it very very tasty that does not require 2nd cooking for 45 minutes.

Those two are likely ignorant statements as I never tried either but I hope I am not alone there. I am def willing to try both though :)

While we are on the subject, are there any other dishes that you simply wonder, why they are done the way they are done?

Something in me wants to try raw fish, basically still wiggling. I'm not sure I could stomach it though.

I am dying to try horse.

-AJ

Tastes just like chicken. :) Just kidding....

Here is one of my dreams. Get a smallish tuna, have a knowledgeable person there who guides me through taking it apart as well as enough friends to eat up the whole beast, trying to prepare every last piece of it in the best possible way.

The other thing I always wanted to do but never got around to was making pates and terrines.

Stefan

Hmm. Those sound good too... Actually, the one thing I'd like to try again in my lifetime is my grandmother's tamales. She hasn't cooked in years and doesn't seem to remember much about it or anything else anymore but I feel that if I could only taste them one more time, I could figure out how to reproduce them.

My short list of today:
Fried Crickets, Koumiss, Braised Rabbit, A Paloma, a 28-day aged ribeye.

I've tried a lot of the things I have wondered about. I'm a grown man, I eat what I want!

Chicken fried steak,chicken'n'waffles,okra,grits real southern style cooking.....

You are welcome to visit my place in Fort Worth anytime. I will put my Chicken Fried Steak up against any--it is the unofficial dish of Texas.

I am dying to try horse.

-AJ

When I go to France, I'm very much considering trying it.

I would like to try a good, dry-aged steak and also alligator sometime. I finally had rabbit a month or so ago; it was done great but I don't see it being anything I crave.

You are welcome to visit my place in Fort Worth anytime. I will put my Chicken Fried Steak up against any--it is the unofficial dish of Texas.

Touring through the States in my Winnebago,sampling all the fine regional cuisines is very high on my bucket list...

Had Lebanese for dinner tonight and that reminded me that i have long wanted to try raw kibbey.

-AJ

LOL! I sitting in Atlanta right now. That's just local food. :)

-AJ

Well, you could always go to the Varsity for a Jumbo FO, then swing by Krispy Kreme for a dozen hot & fresh. Instant diabetes, and you won't sleep for 2 days from the sugar rush.

I've always wanted to try dog.

Went to the Varsity 2 weeks ago, been there done that stained my shirt, no need to go back :D LOL!

Had meat tacos in Mexico once. Not beef tacos, meat tacos. I've always wondered if it wasn't dog.

-AJ

Lived across the street from the Varsity for 4 years, and managed not to eat any of their food. Scary stuff! An FO, tho...an orange milkshake strongly flavored of baby aspirin. Yum!

Alligator's ok. The time I had it, it tasted a little fishy and had a fair amount of connective tissue--not great. Some country fried steak with buttermilk biscuits & milk gravy sounds pretty good right now.

Never had horse--it also sounds interesting. Want to try goose sometime, too.

Well, you could always go to the Varsity for a Jumbo FO, then swing by Krispy Kreme for a dozen hot & fresh. Instant diabetes, and you won't sleep for 2 days from the sugar rush.

I've always wanted to try dog.

I worked with an old guy from Fujian. His stories about dog cuisine seemed pretty unremarkable.

Now goose is another story. That's damn fine eatin'!

Chicken fried steak,chicken'n'waffles,okra,grits real southern style cooking.....

We should get together and cook sometime. I live in Hamilton and Southern US cooking is my specialty and that includes Cajun/Creole, Soul Food and BBQ also.

In fact, today's breakfast was biscuits and gravy with homemade sausage and farm-fresh eggs...

Goose is fantastic! Are we talking wild or domestic? Horse is good as well, I've tried fresh and dried/salted, kinda like proschuto(spelling?) Seal is something I want again, haven't had it in a long time. Octopus, and authentic southern BBQ. Brisket or suckling pig, also an Hawaiian pit cooked pig... that looks amazing!

Haven't had domestic OR wild goose. Definitely need to try it. Have had some mighty fishy wild ducks, tho. And some pretty good domestic ducks--are they similar to goose? Haven't had vension in years, but really like it--just dusted with flour, salt, pepper, garlic powder, and fried in a a little oil until just done.

Lots of different types of "authentic southern bbq"--red sauce, mustard sauce, vinnegar sauce, white sauce... We've had to smoke our own pork since moving to the pacific northwest. Can't find any that makes us happy. Not too hard to smoke a pork butt--make a rub of garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, pepper, allspice--lots of recipes out there--rub it on the pork and let it soak in overnight. Next morning, smoke it over hickory at about 210 degrees F for around 8 hours. Then bring it in and put it in a covered roasting pan and stick it in a 200 degree F oven. It will be ready for dinner the following evening. Falling apart tender & juicy. Choose your own sauce. It also freezes fairly well. The smell of smoked pork will permeate the house. You will dream about it, and wake up with your skin smelling like bbq. It's great.

lol! If I smelled like smoked pork! Haha! Wild goose tends to be a little dryer, not as oily. If you want a good first experience, buy a young goose from a farm, or your favorite butcher/supermarket. Ducks are like any wild game, the species plays a big role in taste. Mallard tends to be the nicest wild duck for roasting and flavor, teals and others can be quite "fishy", especially if it spends a lot of time in stagnant sloughs or swamps. They tend to take on the smell of what they are eating. Migratory birds chase harvest, up here the gourge on wheat, barley, and their favorite, yellow peas, as they go south, they get into other grains, corn, rice etc. With this diet, the flesh is much tastier.

Going to have to try the pork shoulder. How long in smoke?

cant really think of anything i'd like to try but havent... i'm pretty sure there are things out there, but when i find out what they are, i do my best to try them.

Low points-
Kopi lewak
rocky mountain osyters
the internal organs of sea cucumber

high points-
mozzarella from caserta
yonezawa-gyu
wasabi nagaimo tsukemono

the internal organs of sea cucumber

o_O

I can't even begin to imagine what this is like... most likely eating starfish (the innards) but having never done that, I'm at a loss. I imagine it to be something like eating the digestive tract of a worm... not surprised it was a low point!

I was thinking about foods I'd like to make when this started. If it is about foods I'd like to eat, the first thing that comes to mind was a recipe in a 19th century German cook book that started with something like "Start with cleaning 4 pounds of truffles...". Left the book in Germany or I would post the recipe.

Other than that, I had to change my self-image. I always liked to think of myself as an adventurous eater, but after reading a few things and seeing some TV shows, I know that I am not. There are a lot of things I have no interest in trying.... Like sea cucumber innards ;) I also thought I love Japanese cuisine, but there are a lot of things in there that I don't like either (mountain potatoes, uni, natto - and don't even ask about fish eggs....).

Anyway, a few more things I have not had, yet, and would love to try: lobster sashimi, pressed duck, well prepared Kobe beef. Another thing I would love to do is eating several pieces of the same cuts but from different animal races, like different cattle or pork races, just to become more aware of the nuances.

Stefan

High Grade, well prepared Kobe beef,
Cod sperm,
testicles (buffalo, goat)

These are topping my list of food to try 2012

Back