Are there any major "off-label" uses of deba knives?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

Twigg

Reaction score
Add fletching and play extreme lawn darts?

Boondocker

Reaction score
So many people say the deba only has one use. They're wrong it's great for

Butchering salmon
Butchering snappers
Butchering grouper
Butchering seabass
Butchering sablefish
Butchering tilefish
Butchering halibut
Butchering hamachi
Butchering tuna
Butchering trevally
Butchering mahimahi
Butchering corvina

See, a plethora of uses!

Boondocker

Reaction score
yeah it seems like professional doesn’t always mean fancy. Professional means repetitive more often than not. A professional tool is something that does the job well, can be maintained, and does the exact right task every time.
If I think about my own chemistry lab equipment, a multichannel micropipette would be really nice for dispensing even dots of sauce on a plate in a nice line, but making sure that each dot is exactly 300 µL serves no purpose.
You'd be surprised at the portion control of items in high end restaurants I've spent time in

M1k3

Reaction score
OK I do believe that. If you have some crazy Michelin *** sauce made from boiled unicorn tears, you probably want to conserve it.
You don't boil unicorn tears. Used for finishing. Like a fine olive oil.

slickmamba

Reaction score
I've never tried this, nor would I want to or recommend it.
Oh god that was painful to watch.

Use your deba when you make fusumas and byoubus? I heard that hyougushi use debas like scrapers or planes.

I myself use a honesuki to break down chicken (actually, whole duck from Costco for most cases), but am curious about tori-debas like these:

haha those tori-deba are interesting, I've seen plently of poorly sharpened debas that end up looking like that, maybe they were just tori-deba this whole time :LOL:

ragz

Reaction score
I use a ko deba (165mm) for breaking down all manner of birds (sqaub, quail, pheasant, duck mainly). For jobs boning them out Ill switch to a silverthorn boning knife though. For some reason I never liked honesukis, especially for smaller birds. That's about a rogue as I get with my debas

Also now contemplating the uses for multichannel micropipette for work. 😬

Qapla'

Reaction score
I myself use a honesuki to break down chicken (actually, whole duck from Costco for most cases), but am curious about tori-debas like these:
What made you choose a tori-deba over a garasuki of the same beveling?

As for honesuki vs. deba, I remember that back in the day Nenox once made what they called a "bannô honesuki deba" in their main lineup of western knives. I can't find a link to it now though.

ojisan

Reaction score
What made you choose a tori-deba over a garasuki of the same beveling?

As for honesuki vs. deba, I remember that back in the day Nenox once made what they called a "bannô honesuki deba" in their main lineup of western knives. I can't find a link to it now though.
I have only a honesuki and cannot tell anything about tori-debas.

Nenohi seems to still carry banno-deba (honesuki): 包丁製造元 子の日(ねのひ)