Are there spacers/liners that are 'compressible'?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Meaning I have a full tang that is not even remotely close to the same thickness from bolster to end. Is there something that can fill the gaps between the flat, straight scales and a wavy tang profile?

I suppose I could color/dye some epoxy and apply that to the tang and sand it flat but that seems like a lot of work. Or inject it into the gaps...?

Have you ever seen some material that can expand and contract into gaps or voids between the scales and tang?

if the gaps are small and not structurally necessary you can use super glue + dye. fiber liners are somewhat compressible but not like a foam or anything.

If you intend for the handle install not to be permanent, you can use hot/melt glue to secure the handle. And fill in any gap where the tang goes into the handle with beeswax. For a permanent solution, use epoxy.

The bottom of the hole only needs to be big enough for the end of the tang. Some friction fit will help secure it better.

If you intend for the handle install not to be permanent, you can use hot/melt glue to secure the handle. And fill in any gap where the tang goes into the handle with beeswax. For a permanent solution, use epoxy.

The bottom of the hole only needs to be big enough for the end of the tang. Some friction fit will help secure it better.
I like this. Dye the epoxy to fill the gaps. I have done this but slightly differently.

Back