Aren't Paring Knives the most important in home kitchen?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Put me in the Vinox camp. Small, inexpensive and whe someone damaged them or takes the, I just buy a couple more. Couple swirls on a stone and they are sharp again.

Worked with a guy in NYC we just called “Grande,” he manned the grill most nights. There was a season when we featured whole grilled bronzino, which would be deboned and reassembled for plating.

I remember still vividly, 17yrs later, how he swore by, and was masterful with, the Victorinox serrated paring knife for this task.

Serrations allowed him to always incise through the charred skin delicately yet aggressively enough not to tear the frustratingly delicate flesh.

So +1 on the Vinox (serrated)

Worked with a guy in NYC we just called “Grande,” he manned the grill most nights. There was a season when we featured whole grilled bronzino, which would be deboned and reassembled for plating.

I remember still vividly, 17yrs later, how he swore by, and was masterful with, the Victorinox serrated paring knife for this task.

Serrations allowed him to always incise through the charred skin delicately yet aggressively enough not to tear the frustratingly delicate flesh.

So +1 on the Vinox (serrated)
Yeah, I have one of those that I use on tomatoes, especially little cherry sized ones and it works great. Not sure you can sharpen them but they are cheap enough you just get another one when it is time.

Bit of an opposition point of view it seems, but I use multiple parers/Pettys from 110mm-180mm on a daily basis.

I am a home cook but eat a lot of fresh fruit and have a lot of smaller meals that may not necessitate breaking out a gyuto at all.

Back