Media Aritsugu sharpening vid

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mpukas

Reaction score
Here's a vid I stumbled upon while re-watching some of J-Bro's vids. It's shot by a customer who bought a knife(s) from Aritsugu and was getting a basic sharpening lesson from one of their employee's.

The lesson is much more basic than what J-Bro has shown in his vid's, and there are some slight differences in technique. Yes, this vid leaves out many elements of sharpening, especially for single bevel knives, but for a basic lesson for a first timer I think it's a good place to start someone.

One quesiton I have - the young gentleman says that when sharpening the back-side, the mud MUST be washed off of the stone. Why?

enjoy!

[video=youtube;_wqhA-Ceqwc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wqhA-Ceqwc&feature=related[/video]

for kataba bocho (yanagiba, etc.) the mud will "fill in" the urasuki a bit... no mud is better for uraoshi

That is very good to know. Thanks Jon

for kataba bocho (yanagiba, etc.) the mud will "fill in" the urasuki a bit... no mud is better for uraoshi

"urasuki" being the hollow-grind on the back side? Thanks Jon! mpp

Back