Arnon Kartmazov kitchen knives

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
By the looks of it Ryan has a knife either made by him or his teacher in Japan.

P1010025.jpg

That looks cool, but not sure if I would ever use it at work.

There knives on the website with more normal wood handles and Japanese styles. I was just told he is working on a updated website that will better show his knives.

his blacksmithing coarse is 390$, I'm sure for someone like me that would be a steal.

dave...dont you know by now i've had knives from everyone on the planet:laugh:

I'd like to see one in person, but they do have some appeal, for sure. He looks like he understands what makes a good knife, and his handles don't bug me, "conceptually". Actually, while making dinner, last night, I once again noticed that I basically have my pinky and sometimes my ring finger very lightly on the handle for 95% of my cuts. If a knife is sharp and the balance is close to the middle, or forward of centre, it's all good for me.

I spent the day with Arnon. He can turn out the basic three Japanese patterns that look as nice as any I've handled. He personally likes Santokus and makes them in many sizes and variations. He also hand forged a 11-inch gyuto from bar stock while I was there. Took maybe an hour for the basic blade blank that will need sharpening and a handle later. Very impressive shop.

i wonder how his single bevels are

My father has used one of his single bevel knives for about 5 years. Wa handle. My experience is limited (home cook) but as I often fillet the fish I catch at my father's home, I have had occasion to enjoy the knife too. Arnon's 270 Yanagiba slices fluke and bass well for my nigiri sushi. I've seen my father use it on pork loin for very uniform bias slicing. Over the years, the knife has held up well. Sorry I don't know what type of steel he used but it has resisted discoloration and chipping.

I'll visit his site as I'm pleased overall with the 270 and see if I can get my name on something from his next batch to share with the membership. He is a kind person with a sharing attitude about his knowledge and he has great respect for the art. The twisted iron handle shared in the OP may play to Arnon's roots as a metalworker. I've seen a few of his iron pieces (stylized pedestal candlestick holders) and enjoyed his style.

I'd like to see one in person, but they do have some appeal, for sure. He looks like he understands what makes a good knife, and his handles don't bug me, "conceptually". Actually, while making dinner, last night, I once again noticed that I basically have my pinky and sometimes my ring finger very lightly on the handle for 95% of my cuts. If a knife is sharp and the balance is close to the middle, or forward of centre, it's all good for me.

For me, my pinky and ring finger are the rudder.

I'll put this on my list of places to check out in town. Just starting to explore the local scene...

Be prepared to look hard for his shop. No sign along the highway and its back down an alley behind some other old industrial buildings. He is a very friendly guy to talk to and a lot of fun to watch work.

He does smithing classes as well at his shop in portland. I'm signed up for the next one.

Back