Main plate Arroz con Bacalao (Cod Rice)

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This dish is from Panama, at least it was until I started tweaking it (hey, I'm dating a panamanian, I'm allowed). I'm sure it started in Spain and Portugal and migrated over to the new world, pretty much untouched.

It's easy, it's cheap and it's delicious. You can fool with the proportion of fish to rice, I think this is plenty for four people, some may opt for more fish. If you can't find salt cod, I won't throw you out of the Panamanian Navy if you use a pound of firm fresh white fish. I might let the rice cook for a bit before I put the fresh fish in.

This was plenty for four people. Be a first course for 6-8.

1-Soak the cod
Get yourself a nice loin of salt cod. I used a half pound/250 g. It's dried, it reconstitutes. Mine wasn't the super dry kind, I usually opt for the thicker pieces when I can.

Soak it in water that you change 3-4 times for 24-48 hours.

1a-Right before you start, steep a pinch of saffron in a bit of hot water, make "tea" in a shot glass

1b-Take the soaked cod, cut it into pretty good sized cubes. 3cm squares? (don't use your best takobiki, there's salt crystals still in the fish)

2-Make the Recaito

Chop pretty fine
1-Onion
1-Bell Pepper
1-Hot Pepper (adjust to taste, I don't like it fiery)
1-MediumTomato
5-Garlic Cloves (not too fine on the garlic)

Saute in Olive Oil, add a little salt. Use a pan as if it was rissoto, it actually is. I had also just bought some dried kashmiri chilis, they aren't hot but they lend a beautiful color, I added two of those too.

3-Make the Rice

2 cups risotto style rice (carnoroli for me)
1 cup homemade chick or fish stock
2 cups water (maybe three)
2tbsp capers

Add the rice to the recaito, maybe a little more olive oil, saute for a minute or two.

Add the stock, saffron tea, capers and water. Let it warm up a bit, add the cod cubes. Cook in an uncovered pot at a gentle simmer for 12 minutes or so.

4-Finish
1 cup frozen peas
Chopped cilantro or parsley (I forgot in the picture)

Add the peas to the pot. Let them cook through and let the rice finish, maybe 8 more minutes. Toss in the herbs, turn off the heat, cover the pot and let it meld the flavors.

Serve and enjoy.

cod rice.jpg

Last edited:
This sounds great, will definitely make. Thanks for sharing

Latest posts

Back