As cheap as can be please

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ModRQC

Just shutup n' grabbit!
KKF Supporting Member
Reaction score
Searching for cheap Gyutos, one well-hardened Moly - ideally something like AUS would be awesome, but when asking for cheap better not start fancying up on details - and one carbon.

Except for decently treated steel, I'd just rather they would not be the narrow heel kind - Misono would be my choice, if going there. 46 for 200-210, 48-50+ for longer. And as much as I appreciate Victorinox, I'd like harder SS and something different. Finally, Canada here, and trying to keep it there.

I'm even open to "real" cheap chinese from Amazon, if someone knows a guy who knows another guy who knows a thing or two about knives, tried some and find it satisfying enough. But I'll probably settle for "relatively" cheap J-knife or Victorinox if needed be.

I've tried the Lee Valley carbon, and I've ordered one Pallares Solsona.

Looking at these:

https://www.toshoknifearts.com/coll...oto-molybdenum-stainless-steel-br-210mm-gyuto
https://www.aiandomknives.com/colle...e-sk-gyuto-210mm-pakka-handle-kanji-signature

I know there ain't much options but feel like I'm forgetting something somewhere, and even if not available in Canada I'd look at different lower priced alternatives.

Just have at it if you will, I'm all ears.

BST is so much better when one’s based in USA. Usually the translation to CAD + possible taxes and duties crossing the border make nice offers awfully expensive.

Also I seem to see on Honmamon that Japan post has suspended carrying parcels to North America for the time being. DHL are ******** who charge premium brokering fees and all... God I hate living in Canada when shopping stuff.

Might try BST it’s free and a miracle offer could pop up. Thanks for helping very nice of you.

I like Kanehide for cheap but good enough.

https://hitohira-japan.com/collections/kanehide

Tosho and Ai and Om would usually carry some of these but they’re out of any Gyutos right now. Possibly Stay Sharp have some of these sometimes too, not right now. Basic Hitohiras also are over 200$ CAD for the better part of them. Sad for the Kanehide they are the right pricepoint.

Masakane Vintage so far is cheap, available, carbon so fits best. I’d like Tojiro to have a Gyuto from the cheap White 3 line available over here. A 160mm Santoku is no fun. The price, though...

Still looking for better alternatives and a nice Moly. Thanks for the help, if I come accross any Kanehide Gyuto I’ll know not to wait.

Searching for cheap Gyutos, one well-hardened Moly - ideally something like AUS would be awesome, but when asking for cheap better not start fancying up on details - and one carbon.
How do you plan on using them? That might inform one's choice a bit.

For AUS-8 in Canada ay:
https://www.paulsfinest.com/Sakai-T...ai-Takayuki-Inox-Chef-s-Knife-210mm-8_25.html
For low-cost carbon-steel knives, have you checked out Kanetsune Kanemasa on Ebay?

Disclosure: I have a Kanemasa sujihiki.

Last edited:
It could even be that I’d buy a cheap Wusthof Gourmet... at the same time as long as I do something better do it with some gusto so attempting to avoid stamped blades. These will be sharpened to hell is the intended use.

I’ll have a look at those Kanetsune.

It could even be that I’d buy a cheap Wusthof Gourmet... at the same time as long as I do something better do it with some gusto so attempting to avoid stamped blades. These will be sharpened to hell is the intended use.

I’ll have a look at those Kanetsune.

If you're open to the Kanetsune's, you could also check out any of the major j-makers for their "Japanese steel" line, which will be similar carbon-steel (likely a low-cost SK steel).

I simply checked anything J available in a Canadian shop or online store. Not so many of these lines are available. Misono/Takayuki with Paul and a couple other with Tosho or Ai and Om. Tojiro with Knifewear - not interested. Then a lot of uninteresting Hitohiras that are above 200$ for most. Ai and Om have what I thought seemed the best deal. Still looking at less obvious options.

Yep this one is among the list. Thanks! Have some options at this price. Still trying to go cheaper if I can.
Google "Harukaze G3 Nasjiji Gyuto 210mm". $110 at CKTG. My deba is Ginsan steel, I find it's pretty good, especially for a lower budget.

Canada here! 110$ becomes 160$ and then taxes/duties. I have other options. Will hit a search with this maker just to see though.

Thanks guys. I think my main problem is: at what point do I select carefully enough, and pay high a price enough, that a Gyuto intended to be sharpened repetitively until it’s pretty much a utility, becomes one I like just too much and add to the main rotation and try not to waste steel out of it for no good reason... I mean, I have about 20 knives already. I could pick the one I like the less and waste it. It seems I’m unable to do that - I just like them too much. So I should pick cheap bastards is what I should do. But buying cheap and careless intentionally is much harder than it seems.

What are you trying to accomplish with this knife? Are you looking for a beater? Or something to practice sharpening on? Something for everyone else around you to use so they don’t touch your knives? ?????

@M1k3 can’t seem to find anything Gyuto like with Tojiro Shiro or it would have been the obvious choice. Don’t want a 165mm blade nor a slicer blade.

Are you sharpening to hell to just get closer to the devil? There’s a lot of easier and more fun ways to get there than sharpening .

Are you trying to improve your sharpening or just plan on sharpening to sharpen like twiddling wood to pass the time?

Lol I like the twiddling wood image, but no not exactly.

Recently, my proficiency on stones has improved greatly, and I want to hammer that nail in thoroughly while I'm in THAT part of the learning curve. In the last two weeks there was barely a day that went without me thinning and sharpening stuff. I can always dull a knife and have a go at it again... and indeed I did exactly that with my two Victorinox. And worked on every crap knife I had laying around. And it's good to work on crap knives. Now I'd want two knives with two different profiles and "challenges" and just use these ones every time I'm out of a knife that really needs work. They could be crap knives... but it's much more fun with relatively decent ones.

Obviously while at it, if I can try steels that I never had direct experience from... and the whole reverse-rabbit hole goes in hand with that, while I'm not anymore searching for a knife that looks tremendous AND secondarily expands my experience with steels, but searching for the cheapest offer on different steels.

BTW thanks for helping me finding the cheapest AUS-8 knife I think I could lay my hands on... if I'm patient enough to wait until December to get it.

Back