Asai

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mhenry

Reaction score
These knives have really caught eye. They have got it all AS steel, damascus, hammer finish, kurouchi. Any of you guy's bought one of these yet?

Yes, I have one; SG2 PM Damascus. Love it. I saw the new ones from Epicurean Edge as well. I have seen all but the new Aogami Asai knives in person at Epicurean Edge. They are consistently beautiful. I am a stickler for fit/finish, geometry, profile, balance. Asai makes great knives. Looks like Bernal Cutlery carries these as well. Odd, I have not heard of Bernal Cutlery until today when searching for these on Google.

Last edited:
Yes, I have one; SG2 PM Damascus. Love it. I saw the new ones from Epicurean Edge as well. I have seen all but the new Aogami Asai knives in person at Epicurean Edge. They are consistently beautiful. I am a stickler for fit/finish, geometry, profile, balance. Asai makes great knives. Looks like Bernal Cutlery carries these as well. Odd, I have not heard of Bernal Cutlery until today when searching for these on Google.

bernal used to sell sharpening knife services and selling vintage knives on ebay years ago and then opened up a shop

i hate to be the douche but for 330 your a stones throw from custom and a short walk to a long list of 200- 275$ performers that are prolly just as good if not better. i cant help but be down on something that breached 300 and isnt custom how ya want it. but do what ya do. your the one who has to be happy with it. im sure the AS is killer and the fit and finish looks great.

i hate to be the douche but for 330 your a stones throw from custom and a short walk to a long list of 200- 275$ performers that are prolly just as good if not better. i cant help but be down on something that breached 300 and isnt custom how ya want it. but do what ya do. your the one who has to be happy with it. im sure the AS is killer and the fit and finish looks great.

a custom gyuto from a reputable maker should cost $500+...

^not sure about that :whistling: I meant to point out that $300 was pretty far from the custom range.

I got your point, Thanks. My comment was directed more at homebone should have included him in the reply

^not sure about that :whistling: I meant to point out that $300 was pretty far from the custom range.

I'm not sure you can say the $200-275 group will perform as good if not better than these without trying them first. And those same knives will probably perform just as well as most entry level customs too. And if you are looking for Aogami Super steel, KU or hammered finish, and don't want Moritaka or Takeda...well, this is a good option and you ain't getting those from any custom maker in the US either.

that was a late night post after getting off work, .. to clarify a bit.. I guess i have taken a real consideration into the money invested in knives and what you are actually getting out of them as opposed to what you are acutally spending. I have taken a zen attitude into perfection in sharpening knives and i have stopped persuing a lot of knife purchases over the last year or more. Partly because ive gone to just a couple knives for daily production and not a 12+ peice kit and, in truth, mostly cause of $$ ... and ive realised that proficiency in sharpening and consistent maintenance is what makes knives sharp in my world, but im using them 12+ hours a day with a lot of heavy knife work, a quick 20 mins once or twice a week is worth it to me if my prep last s longer and gets me yelled at less. :biggrin: i did appologize for my douche-ness ahead of time BTW :) but all that being said its not my $ and my $ is less than it has been in the past and thats forced me to consider education in purchases in relation to $$ product. AS is AS and while there are differences in makers and people could post out the end of the internet against this statement, its just MY standing right now in my career and collecting that has made me look at the fact that AS is AS is AS and if you are really proficient at sharpening you can probably get more for your buck. ( i still want pretty knives tho.) if ya like it, go for it, its prolly gonna be great.

Back