• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Kitchen Knife Forums and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

WTS Ashi ginga honyaki gyuto 330 mm

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ivang

Reaction score
Hi guys, looking to sell my ashi honyaki gyuto. It is a very big knife, but it is surprisingly easy to wield. I used it a little bit and only touched it up once on a jnat.
It had some scuffs and scratching, so i sent it to jon at jki to have it cleaned, and havent used it since.

The handle is a western hybrid made of stag horn and brass spacers. It is very comfy in hand, and balances the knife perfectly at the pinch, the blade us incredibly long, thin, straght, and perfectly ground.

The knife next to it in the picture is a kono fuji 240, so you can grasp the size easier. The cool pictures were taken by jon at jki. This is truly an amazing piece of art, and one of the finest kitchen knives ever made.

The price on this one is 5,300 usd shipped and paypaled.

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id= ... Q60yrUJokB

Thanks
Ivan

You just won the internet today. GLWS!!!

Is it just me cause the tip looks off. Like its a bit higher than usual. Mine has a lower tip although its a 240. Still an amazing knife glws

Can you provide edge length, heel height and weight. Wheres the balance point?

if we are asking for details and curvature I feel we are after different goals. Ashi honyaki - face value
This is a big knife - IMHO the perception of profile plays a different approach, let's not try and drive or force a practical approach into a masterpiece

Is it just me cause the tip looks off. Like its a bit higher than usual. Mine has a lower tip although its a 240. Still an amazing knife glws

Thanks for your kind words. Im glad that even that you thought this knife is somehow off its still amazing.

If mr ashi thought that this profile was right for this knife im ok with it as well.

if we are asking for details and curvature I feel we are after different goals. Ashi honyaki - face value
This is a big knife - IMHO the perception of profile plays a different approach, let's not try and drive or force a practical approach into a masterpiece

Thank you. I was struggling a bit.

Hi mate!

The knife is all boxed up and stuff. If an interested buyer needs that kind of measurements. (Which i somehow doubt) ill take it out and measure it and such.

Thanks for looking

Ivan

Open to partial trades as well. Just no single bevels, and no stones

But maybe a prospective buyer plans to enjoy using this knife too? It would be a shame to pay more than US$5000 and find that using it is not enjoyable for that specific individual. It is a beautiful knife though, very lovely!

Because the knife is so long, the higher tip lets you angle the knife higher whenever it (thought it shouldn't . . . ) wedge when cutting with the flat spot. So why not make the tip lower? Well the knife is probably pretty heavy, so having a higher tip lets you rest on the front third of the blade when rock chopping or otherwise, without risk of breaking it. Or maybe the person who commissioned the knife wanted something a little German, I dunno. It's an amazing knife, anyhow.

But maybe a prospective buyer plans to enjoy using this knife too? It would be a shame to pay more than US$5000 and find that using it is not enjoyable for that specific individual. It is a beautiful knife though, very lovely!

Absolutely, you are right - not what I meant, I think what I was trying to say is that at this size knife our perspective of height/weight/grind would be different to what our benchmarks might be.

This is actually a steal for its size. Perhaps if you post pictures of it prior to sending it to Jon? it might help.

Latest posts

Back