Ashi Honyaki passaround - 165mm Kamagata (santoku)

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Was avoiding getting on this list as it is too nice of a knife than I would consider owning. I don't want to present any kind of china shop, as much as I would love to try it.

Te quality of knives that pass thru your hands is awe inspiring!

He ain't lyin - Coming to America.gif

I got the knife Monday and plan to mail it on its way this weekend!

What a blade! It's not to often I pick something up and am this thoroughly impressed. The grind is superb, handle fit up perfect, etc. Profile is just perfect too for what it is. Y'all be careful now, that tip is thiiiiiiiin. Ashi packed an impressive amount of taper and convexity into a very thin package. Wish I had the budget for a 240 or 270, but at least now I know why people go crazy for these!!

Wow, this is a crazy passaround! I look forward to watching you all enjoy it as it makes its way around the country.

I’ll update this after work with vids and stuff…… but I’m a believer. The performance is straight up silly on this knife. It came to me with not much of a working edge and still worked through product so well. I gave it a light touch up (a bit too easily) and it’s twirling through paper towels now. It’s an absolute masterpiece and I’m so very grateful to get to try this. Might need a normal ashi just to get something in that same ballpark of performance. I can see why these are so sought after. Insane craftsmanship and skill to make this thing.

Attachments

• 0BEC9868-777F-4819-BF11-FA9E2AE9BB7E.jpeg
    0BEC9868-777F-4819-BF11-FA9E2AE9BB7E.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 0B8B3EF5-469F-4299-84E1-EBC8294F4746.jpeg
    0B8B3EF5-469F-4299-84E1-EBC8294F4746.jpeg
  • C09A75C0-CF18-41D5-82CA-CCEFDA70D142.jpeg
    C09A75C0-CF18-41D5-82CA-CCEFDA70D142.jpeg
  • 5FE41ECB-10E6-4645-B75C-0E9AA4DF6D2E.jpeg
    5FE41ECB-10E6-4645-B75C-0E9AA4DF6D2E.jpeg
Small excerpt from cutting onions BEFORE I put an edge on it. This thing would not cut paper towel at all when I got it. So this is not a good edge, but I was so eager and also had to jump right into prep because the restaurant I’m at is closed on the weekends (I know, lucky). Seriously though, the knife is not sharp in the video. Crazy performance. I just wanna micro brunoise shallots with this all day.

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.MOV
    40.5 MB
All good. I will see it when it gets to @ch_br in due time 😂. Figured it was better to get out of the way and let the folks who haven’t yet had the luxury to bask in the glory of Ashi fkn Honyaki get their shot…

Indeed. It ill be fun to test drive this lil demon slayer...

Currently speechless

You really have a way of lowering my enthusiasm here man:

Bill Murray - with Groundhog.gif

Small excerpt from cutting onions BEFORE I put an edge on it. This thing would not cut paper towel at all when I got it. So this is not a good edge, but I was so eager and also had to jump right into prep because the restaurant I’m at is closed on the weekends (I know, lucky). Seriously though, the knife is not sharp in the video. Crazy performance. I just wanna micro brunoise shallots with this all day.
Love this, Malcolm. Thanks for sharing. And such a nice example of how it performs. The Ashi honyakis are no joke on the performance side of the equation and probably the best all around knives I've ever used. Glad folks are getting to try them out!

Love this, Malcolm. Thanks for sharing. And such a nice example of how it performs. The Ashi honyakis are no joke on the performance side of the equation and probably the best all around knives I've ever used. Glad folks are getting to try them out!
I’m truly shocked how much I like it. I don’t typically like short, light knives. This has single handedly changed my mind. This in a 240 would be an absolute dream. Thanks so much for being so generous with this little slayer. I know that the standard ashi mono steel knives aren’t the same as this, but do they perform similarly? Because I can’t afford one of these honyaki (if I could even find one) but want to have something of a similar grind as a home knife for myself and my fiancé. I seriously can’t get over how much I like this thing

I’m truly shocked how much I like it. I don’t typically like short, light knives. This has single handedly changed my mind. This in a 240 would be an absolute dream. Thanks so much for being so generous with this little slayer. I know that the standard ashi mono steel knives aren’t the same as this, but do they perform similarly? Because I can’t afford one of these honyaki (if I could even find one) but want to have something of a similar grind as a home knife for myself and my fiancé. I seriously can’t get over how much I like this thing
Malcolm - hit me up on DM's. I have three 240 Ashi Gingas and I'm happy to send them for you to try out a full size. I have monosteel White 2, and two stainless, one Wa and one Yo.

In my opinion, they are very similar in grind and performance, but just less refined. They are belt finished and don't provide the same board feedback or smooth feel, but the cutting ease, precision, and amazing convex grind are the same. They are incredible knives and perhaps the best bang for the buck out there in the thinner style of knives. Really great and under-rated knives.

Back