Asking about Manaka Hamono knives performance

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi! Sorry for hijacking the thread, I'm just a newbie aswell. Got duped by the knife I bought last year. My fault for not double checking the knife. Thought it was a Japanese knife made in Japanese steel but nope just marketed as a Gyuto and I fell for it. Anyway while browsing diff kind of Bunkas I found Manaka-san makes ATS-34 Bunkas. Anyone owned them? And how are they compared to other Bunkas like the Shibata(SG2) and Raijin(cobalt)? Many thanks!

Last edited:
Hi! Sorry for hijacking the thread, I'm just a newbie aswell. Got duped by the knife I bought last year. My fault for not double checking the knife. Thought it was a Japanese knife made in Japanese steel but nope just marketed as a Gyuto and I fell for it. Anyway while browsing diff kind of Bunkas I found Manaka-san makes ATS-34 Bunkas. Anyone owned them? And how are they compared to other Bunkas like the Shibata(SG2) and Raijin(cobalt)? Many thanks!
I saw ATS Manaka, it's like looking at TF grind. that Wabi-sabi finish. high and low spot on the blade road that I don't recommend but this from the early 2020 batch. maybe he's getting better.

Hey everyone,
Just wanna chime in on this topic. I’m up to 4 knives, a kiridashi, & okubo shears by Manaka San (Kisuke). First one I purchased was a B2 Bunka about 2 years ago, At first it was pretty reactive, but after the first few uses it settled down. After a few months of use I decided to thin it out a smidge. No issues with high/ low spots on the primary bevel, was surprised how easy it was because last few reputable knives were quite wonky. After the thinning was when it woke up!!! Decided to pick up a 150 petty in ATS-34 next. Probably my favorite knife ever! Let a buddy who I knew had terrible knife technique borrow it for a week to abuse at work... Fully expected it to be full of micro chips or worse when he returned it. After I got it back there was one tiny micro chip right in the belly that I could barely get to catch on my fingernail... After that I ordered the custom 270 ATS-34 sujihiki western handle from him. Then picked up a 210 w2 gyuto just because...
I feel like most of the appeal that’s present in his knives is the fact he does everything himself. The f/f is on the same level as all the top brands. I agree with the wabi sabi/TF feelings too. That’s a win/win for some & a total dealbreaker for others.
I’ve run the gauntlet with the petty, bunka, & gyuto. I yet to have any issues while using or sharpening. They’ll hold an edge that’ll last longer than most comparable blades that I’ve spent time with.
Have a wonderful day & I hope I didn’t take up too much of your time.

A lot of the interest indeed comes from him making the knives himself (or so Ive always read too). But the knives also look stunningly good live to me, the bevels and tsuchime are awesome.

Last edited:
I saw ATS Manaka, it's like looking at TF grind. that Wabi-sabi finish. high and low spot on the blade road that I don't recommend but this from the early 2020 batch. maybe he's getting better.

Uhm what's the wabi-sabi finish? Sorry just a newb.

Shame, they're so beautiful

Uhm what's the wabi-sabi finish? Sorry just a newb.

Wabi-sabi is a Japanese term basically referring to the... inconsistencies... that can be present in artisan craftsmanship. Wabi-sabi might just be poor fit and finish, it might be charming, it might be a lot of stuff. If you ask a Japanese person to define it, they'd probably look at you funny and say "you know it if you see it" or just that it doesn't really translate.

TF is especially known for the inconsistencies present in his blades. We had a whole long thread (some of which is extremely funny, if you have time to kill, you can find it here.) Whether these things are charming, acceptable or the worst horror show ever visited upon the knife-wielding populace is in the eye of the beholder.

After reading thru most of the link posted above, I feel like I wanna redact my TF statement! I didn’t realize how much I was stoking the forum fire by making it. I’ve heard stories of questionable QC & such from those knives, some are almost legend status. What I was trying to imply is that you can tell it’s a hand forged knife & the blacksmith puts a little piece of his soul in each blade.

Wabi-sabi is a Japanese term basically referring to the... inconsistencies... that can be present in artisan craftsmanship. Wabi-sabi might just be poor fit and finish, it might be charming, it might be a lot of stuff. If you ask a Japanese person to define it, they'd probably look at you funny and say "you know it if you see it" or just that it doesn't really translate.

TF is especially known for the inconsistencies present in his blades. We had a whole long thread (some of which is extremely funny, if you have time to kill, you can find it here.) Whether these things are charming, acceptable or the worst horror show ever visited upon the knife-wielding populace is in the eye of the beholder.

Ayt thanks! imma read it now. Pretty long thread.

I have both blue #1 and ATS-34, two of my favorite middleweight knives though the ATS-34 feels heavier and more substantial (but mine is Western handle). My blue #1 gyuto in particular is one of my favorite non-stainless knives and compares favorably to various middleweights from Yoshikazu Tanaka to Carter to Toyama/Watanabe.

Update:
Another Manaka (Kisuke) added to the collection. This time it’s one of the Aogami2 (B2) clad in stainless. Forged thinner then previously & height measures 50mm. Weighs a little more due to the cladding & the kurochi finish seems like it is very wear resistant.

I don’t know, I feel that the Tanaka blue 1 star maybe rising, while Manaka (not Tanaka) star my be waning. If stars actually wane - I think the moon does, but whatever, you get my drift

Picking up what you’re putting down.

I’ve really been enjoying it lately, I picked up a few knives in between my initial Manaka grab.

Come & gone:
Yu kurosaki AS & R2 gyutos & pettys
Takeda AS suji
Mazaki B1 gyuto

Keepers:
Moritaka B2 suji
Jiro 210 gyuto (forever)
Saji VG10 rainbow petty
TF Denka gyuto

Tanaka is on the list of things to get my mitts on..

Picking up what you’re putting down.

I’ve really been enjoying it lately, I picked up a few knives in between my initial Manaka grab.

Come & gone:
Yu kurosaki AS & R2 gyutos & pettys
Takeda AS suji
Mazaki B1 gyuto

Keepers:
Moritaka B2 suji
Jiro 210 gyuto (forever)
Saji VG10 rainbow petty
TF Denka gyuto

Tanaka is on the list of things to get my mitts on..

The only surprise here is the Mazaki B1 Gyuto - that is a rare bird to find, and rarer still to release. There are fan clubs devoted to him

I bought a Mazaki blue2 Damascus yesterday, brand new, and then called Craig and cancelled the order. Just did not sit right with me, and the weight was 204gm, more like a Y tanaka weight, not a Sanjo Mazaki weight - which typically comes in 240- 250 gm. His knives change too much for me now, initially I was a devotee.

Many of the knives made by hand do vary a bit, perhaps I got a sub-optimal one in my Manaka

Back