Asking about Manaka Hamono knives performance

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leon.B

Reaction score
I'm considering buying a Manaka Hamono aogami #2 couse I find how's it's made and the maker's history fascinating. I also consider the knife itself quite gorgeous. Said that I've never had it in my hand and I'd like some opinions on the overall construction and performances from someone that used it. Even if it's not the same knife I'd like to know what you think about Manaka's work (everything helps). Thx!

Sorry if I ask but I'm quite new not only to this forum but strangely enough to forum in general.. Do you mean I should contact the 2 people you're pointing out to ask about Masaka's? it might sound a stupid question.

It means we are directing this question to those people and they will be notified to take note of your thread. It also means that they probably are owners or previous owners of the knife and would be able to give you their valuable insights.

I have 2 knives from Kisuke-san and they are both great. Neither had low spots and were easy for me to polish. They cut nicely, feel good on the stones, and have good fnf. Straight, no warps or bends, handles installed correctly. Kisuke-san has quickly become one of my favorite makers.

Thanks so much for the feedback! I've been reading around but first hand information from someone that used the knife are always better.
Can I ask you about the reactivity of the blade? I'm a fan of Aogami#2 and I assume you have different reactions from different knives but I was curious to know if you had any issues.

Mine are blue 1, so they may be a bit more reactive, but I haven't had any issues with that. I typically have a dry towel on the board to wipe knives dry before leaving them.

I do the same. I suppose I'm not gonna have to worry about it than. One last thing if I may. I have this idea the knife itself is in between a workhorse and a laser but I definitely could be wrong.. can you give me your opinion?

Personally, I'm not a huge fan of those terms, they tend to be thrown around with carefree abandon.
I'd say they are on the thinner side, ~2mm spine, but are reasonably stiff and have very nice hamaguri bevels.

I'm not particularly fond of those terms either. I was trying to convey what I meant in lame terms.
Thank you again for your help mate! Very useful insight. I have some thinking to do but from what you told me I might pull the trigger.

I'm not particularly fond of those terms either. I was trying to convey what I meant in lame terms.
Thank you again for your help mate! Very useful insight. I have some thinking to do but from what you told me I might pull the trigger.
Sounds like you're off to a great start! I can't imagine you'll be disappointed 😁

Oops, I see now that you are new to the forum, not necessarily to knives, lol. My bad!

No worries mate I didn't take offense at all!:)
Compare to a loooot (I'd say most) of people here I'm an amateur.. I worked in the hospitality business on and of for 8 years, part of it in kitchens. I also own Japanese knives already. Said that I joined the forum to extrapolate information, learn from others experience and give my opinion (even if marginal). like I said, you've been more than helpful.

I have 2 knives from Kisuke-san and they are both great. Neither had low spots and were easy for me to polish. They cut nicely, feel good on the stones, and have good fnf. Straight, no warps or bends, handles installed correctly. Kisuke-san has quickly become one of my favorite makers.
Thanks for sharing!

I have the blue 2 but sold it. I loved the knife at first, and maybe I was premature in selling it. It’s finish is gorgeous, etc

but the reason I did was maybe bit odd on my part

In a flight of fancy, I started making a dish that required cutting of several large hard onions I got from Hiebers (German amazing produce store).

while cutting several mega-size “vegetable onions”, I thought hey, why not cut each onion with a different knife?

So I pulled out a Denka, Yanick, and a couple of others - Takada no Hamono, Toyama. Total of maybe 4-5 different knives, and Kisuke was one of them

the onions were wedge prone onions

while the Manaka performed fairly well on the vertical cuts, the horizontal slices into the onion, well, it would just get stuck. Yanick was incredible on both vertical and lateral,
As was Denka.

maybe the competition to Kisuke was unfair, and also, my knife whisperer on this forum had also mentioned that Kisuke blue 1 may be more preferable

So I sold it, thinking I will get the blue 1 next time

I got the blue 2 because the Cleancut price for blue 2 was miuch lower - 280 Euro vs. typically 350 Euro for the blue 1

so I think you will be fine getting this knife.

lastly, a retailer put some doubts in my head. They said they had Kisuke San do a demonstration of the knife in their shop, but some thing was wrong with the knife, and they elected not to carry it

those are the facts with my reasoning to sell it

But I was enamored completely of the knife - but then the above happened

maybe the competition to Kisuke was unfair, and also, my knife whisperer on this forum had also mentioned that Kisuke blue 1 may be more preferable

I'd probably call the competition a bit unfair indeed.. :D
I still appreciate the feedback greatly especially because I was after the aogami#2 Cleancut version.. I'll buy a Munetoshi from them and I wanted to get a second knife before Brexit hits. I was also thinking about a Nigara SG2 (I don't own any powder steel knives).

I was too impulsive in selling the manaka

I will probably get another one, and I think each year, (like Marzaki) he will get better. I will wait a year i think

munetoshi - never heard a bad word about them - all have said they are excellent performers.

I have my eye on their honyaki - but have been buying too many Swedish knives of late, to pull the trigger

There are worst addiction that buying excellently crafted knives but I'm trying to limit myself.
I will probably get another one, and I think each year, (like Marzaki) he will get better. I will wait a year i think
I might do it as well but I'm not sure yet. I believe I'll be extremely happy with Munetoshi's performance but I need a "sexier" knife on top of it (no pun intended) to close this damn year with a positive note..

I too am very interested in Kisuke knives. Wonder if anyone owns or has owned both the b2 and b1 and could comment if there is some difference in cutting performance? - Who is the knife whisperer :).

Meesterslijpers is also selling a white2 gyuto and a santoku, how about those? I'd like to buy both the w2 santoku and a 240 B2 gyuto if I'm being honest.

Is the Kisuke B1 available anywhere in EU stores? I haven't spotted it.

I'd probably call the competition a bit unfair indeed.. :D
I still appreciate the feedback greatly especially because I was after the aogami#2 Cleancut version.. I'll buy a Munetoshi from them and I wanted to get a second knife before Brexit hits. I was also thinking about a Nigara SG2 (I don't own any powder steel knives).
I have that Nigara sg2, it’s a dope knife. Really nice edge retention tho I haven’t sharpened it yet so no idea on the stones. If you do get it, get the polished version, I got the unpolished and it’s a bit sticky going through things. It’s calmed down a bit but it doesn’t have the same smooth action that I enjoyed with my old Tanaka ironwood. Thinking the polished version may do the trick.

TBH- I bought it for the kitchen so we’d have a decent stainless option cause the wife was driving me mad. Kinda foots the bill in style for all our needs.

At the end I decided to go with a Yoshikane skd on top of the Munetoshi (not from the same vendor). They are both great in different ways. Nigara is still on my radar couse at some point I want to try an SG2 and you're not the only person that got me good feedbacks about it.
I can say aesthetically I prefer the one with the kurouchi finish but I haven't had it in my hand. Sometimes everything changes when you holding a knife. When we are allow to travel freely again I'm planning to visit a shop and buy a knife after I checked myself. I like an old style, face to face purchase.

Talking about this one, right?
06C3E239-A159-4E5E-A925-22AA4BBEA2DB.jpeg

I wasn't but this knife looks indeed sensational! I was talking about the hammered finish one.

Back