Asking for a recommendation for buying a Gyuto

Discussion in 'The Kitchen Knife' started by calostro5, Oct 18, 2019.

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums by donating:

1. Oct 18, 2019 #1

calostro5

calostro5

calostro5

I would like to buy a Gyuto, so I have decided to ask here because I see that there are many people who have a good knowledge in steels and knives.

What country are you in? I live in Spain.

KNIFE TYPE
    What type of knife are you interested in (e.g., chef’s knife, slicer, boning knife, utility knife, bread knife, paring knife, cleaver)? Gyuto

Are you right or left handed? Left handed.

Are you interested in a Western handle (e.g., classic Wusthof handle) or Japanese handle? I am not sure becaus I have never used a japanese handle, but I think I would feel more confortable with a western handle.

What length of knife (blade) are you interested in (in inches or millimeters)? 18 or 20 centimeters. But it is better if the blade is 18 centimeters long.

Do you require a stainless knife? (Yes or no) Yes, I prefer stainless steel.

What is your absolute maximum budget for your knife? I would like not spend more than 100€, but I am aware of this is a low budget.

KNIFE USE
    Do you primarily intend to use this knife at home or a professional environment? I will use the knife at home.

What are the main tasks you primarily intend to use the knife for (e.g., slicing vegetables, chopping vegetables, mincing vegetables, slicing meats, cutting down poultry, breaking poultry bones, filleting fish, trimming meats, etc.)? (Please identify as many tasks as you would like.) I will use the knife in not hard tasks. I have other more robust knives for tasks in which the edge could be damaged.

What knife, if any, are you replacing? None, this would be just my first japanese knife.

Do you have a particular grip that you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for the common types of grips.) No.

What cutting motions do you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for types of cutting motions and identify the two or three most common cutting motions, in order of most used to least used.) Push cut, slice. I don't have much knowledge in cooking and cutting techniques.

What improvements do you want from your current knife? If you are not replacing a knife, please identify as many characteristics identified below in parentheses that you would like this knife to have.) I don't know. I would like to have a japanese knife. This is more a caprice than a need.

Better aesthetics (e.g., a certain type of finish; layered/Damascus or other pattern of steel; different handle color/pattern/shape/wood; better scratch resistance; better stain resistance)? Simple design, more utilitarian than aesthetic design.

Comfort (e.g., lighter/heavier knife; better handle material; better handle shape; rounded spine/choil of the knife; improved balance)? Nothing to mention.

Ease of Use (e.g., ability to use the knife right out of the box; smoother rock chopping, push cutting, or slicing motion; less wedging; better food release; less reactivity with food; easier to sharpen)? Due to my few sharpening skill, I would like ease of sharpening.

Edge Retention (i.e., length of time you want the edge to last without sharpening)? Longer is better.

KNIFE MAINTENANCE
    Do you use a bamboo, wood, rubber, or synthetic cutting board? (Yes or no.) Mainly synthetic cutting board.

Do you sharpen your own knives? (Yes or no.) Yes.

If not, are you interested in learning how to sharpen your knives? (Yes or no.)

Are you interested in purchasing sharpening products for your knives? (Yes or no.) I have some sharpening stones. The best stone that I have is a Shapton Kuromaku 1000.

SPECIAL REQUESTS/COMMENTS

I would like to buy the knife in EU in order to avoid extra tax due to customs.

2. Oct 19, 2019 #2
    The only knife I would recommend that's close to your budget is the Kaeru from Japanese Natural Stones (Denmark) SLD (stainless) steel is relatively easy to sharpen, knife is said to be a great value (I have a petty in this series and like it.) With a quick glance the smallest size I saw was a 210mm for 130E. But I would suggest the 210 over the 180 anyway.

https://www.japanesenaturalstones.com/kaeru-kasumi-stainless-gyuto-210mm/

kayman67 likes this.
  3. Oct 19, 2019 #3

IsoJ

IsoJ

IsoJ

Supporting Member

4. Oct 19, 2019 #4

calostro5

calostro5

calostro5

This knife has a D shape handle. I am a left handed. Fit his handle me?

5. Oct 20, 2019 #5

calostro5

calostro5

calostro5

This knife seems a good choice.
    This knife is very similar to Tojiro DP. Same steel but half tang versus full tang in Tojiro. Anyway, which is better?
    I could get Tojiro online in spanish online Shops and this is cheaper than Takamura.

6. Oct 20, 2019 #6
    Ask him to flip the handle. The "D" will then be lefty.

7. Oct 20, 2019 #7

Carl Kotte

Carl Kotte

Carl Kotte

I own a Tojiro that I like a lot, but in all honesty the Takamuras I have tried outperform Tojiro VG-10.

8. Oct 20, 2019 #8

calostro5

calostro5

calostro5

To extract the handle, to rotate it 180 degrees and to place it again?

Do Takamura outperform Tojiro due to the steel, the manufacturing, the finish?

Carl Kotte likes this.
  9. Oct 20, 2019 #9

Carl Kotte

Carl Kotte

Carl Kotte

Sorry, can’t really answer that. The finish on the Tojiro is nice. And it is a great knife. For the price it is awesome. Steel wise, I’m unsure why the Takamura is or would be better: but from my experience the Takamura takes a good edge faster when you sharpen it and also keeps the edge longer than the Tojiro.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2019
  10. Oct 20, 2019 #10

Benuser

Benuser

Benuser

Supporting Member

The Tojiros are, as most Japanese knives, right-biased. Right side convexed, left side almost flat, edge off-centered to the left.
    When used by a left-handed, expect crazy steering and very poor food release, as produce will stick to the flat left face.
    Misono and Masahiro make blades with an inverted geometry. Masahiro retailers use to have them in stock.

IsoJ and Carl Kotte like this.
  11. Oct 20, 2019 #11
    Yes, but due to the way it's put on, epoxy or melted wax or other - it's best to ask the vendor to do it for you.

In my experience a Tojiro will almost always need sharpening right out of the box - not good for someone new to the knife world. And most will require thinning before they cut well.

12. Oct 20, 2019 #12

calostro5

calostro5

calostro5

So, I understand that the difference is mainly in the steel. Oo course, this is an important point.

Tojiro F-808 has the edge centered

I think that it is not a good idea to extract the handle and place again. Even when a vendor does it.

I see that none of you recommend Tojiro. So my choice is Takamura so far.

13. Oct 20, 2019 #13

M1k3

M1k3

M1k3

Yes. And they are true lasers, just glide through. The only gripe I have is after cutting for 6+ hours at work, pinch grip starts to hurt because of the narrow spine.

Carl Kotte likes this.
  14. Oct 20, 2019 #14

calostro5

calostro5

calostro5

This knife cost more than I expected to spend, but everyone recommend me this knife.

15. Oct 20, 2019 #15

M1k3

M1k3

M1k3

There's a VG-10 and Semistainless versions available also that I would recommend.

16. Oct 20, 2019 #16

calostro5

calostro5

calostro5

Is that version cheaper?
    Where could I find this other version?
    I suppose than semistainless will require almost the same care than non stainless.

17. Oct 20, 2019 #17

Benuser

Benuser

Benuser

Supporting Member

Really? Don't get fooled by some unscrupulous or ignorant salesman. Even with a symmetric edge, those blades are asymmetric. Expect serious steering issues after a few sharpenings. The food release problem though will appear instantly.

18. Oct 20, 2019 #18

calostro5

calostro5

calostro5

I thought that the edge is symmetric. Now, I am shocked.
    Is the edge of Takamura not symmetric either?

19. Oct 21, 2019 #19

M1k3

M1k3

M1k3

CKTG (they have the semistainless Chromax, it's not very reactive), KnifeWear or MTCKitchen?

20. Oct 21, 2019 #20

calostro5

calostro5

calostro5

All these Shops are in USA. I am in Spain so I prefer to buy in EU.

21. Oct 21, 2019 #21

M1k3

M1k3

M1k3

Oh. I can look around after work...

22. Oct 21, 2019 #22

M1k3

M1k3

M1k3

Cleancut maybe?

23. Oct 21, 2019 #23

Carl Kotte

Carl Kotte

Carl Kotte

Isn’t it time you post under knife ’buy sell trade’ where you say you want to buy a lefty Gyuto (and whatever other specifics you may want to add) sub 100€ in the EU. Perhaps you’ll get lucky!

24. Oct 21, 2019 #24

M1k3

M1k3

M1k3

25. Oct 21, 2019 #25

Qapla'

Qapla'

Qapla'

Deleted.

26. Oct 21, 2019 #26

IsoJ

IsoJ

IsoJ

Supporting Member

+1

Carl Kotte likes this.
  27. Oct 21, 2019 #27

M1k3

M1k3

M1k3

28. Oct 21, 2019 #28

calostro5

calostro5

calostro5

Don't sorry. There are not many Options with my Budget and sold in Europe.

Yes, IsoJ gave me a link of a Takamura from this shop.

A second hand knife?

This was the IsoJ's recommendation.

I guess that handle is for right handed.

29. Oct 21, 2019 #29

M1k3

M1k3

M1k3

Email Maksim at JNS and ask him to flip the handle.

30. Oct 21, 2019 #30

calostro5

calostro5

calostro5

I think Takamura is the best option.