Atoma replacement for my stones

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Its time to replace my 140, the copper is showing, should I just buy another Atoma or is there something else. I have Chosera's and SG plates, I see a few people recommending sic powder I was just wondering how well that works and is it worth the mess, there is a kit made by Shapton. I've also been looking at the button nano plate but that's a lot of money.

The Atoma and the cheap to Go are the only flatteners I've used. There were a couple threads on the subject last spring but the still Atoma seemed to still get the nod. The dark horse is this suggestion from Palm Royale. KnifeWear briefly sold it but is oos and the price was about the same as buying direct from Japan in linked post. I almost bought one but I was having trouble clarifying my interest in the extra thick base-plate in a Google translate correspondence.

That's not really great life you got out of it. Though it's not uncommon either.
I would definitely consider something else. Powders, sandpaper, dressing stones...

The Atoma and the cheap to Go are the only flatteners I've used. There were a couple threads on the subject last spring but the still Atoma seemed to still get the nod. The dark horse is this suggestion from Palm Royale. KnifeWear briefly sold it but is oos and the price was about the same as buying direct from Japan in linked post. I almost bought one but I was having trouble clarifying my interest in the extra thick base-plate in a Google translate correspondence.

Were you referring to the 15mm plate( 210×75×15mm ) ? Maybe quoting the item number might help:

別注品アルミ台
15mm厚(アトマ・研承共通)
○在庫有り別注アルミ台アトマ用ARM-01

It says that the one made for Atoma plates is currently in stock. (mish-mashing chinese to guess the Japanese here)...

They also sell them as a set together with the blade (medium grit quoted here, #400):

研承ダイヤ 中目(替刃+別注アルミ台)
KENSYO-DNA¥8,800

Btw, there doesn't seem to be any savings buying as a set, or separately.

Its time to replace my 140, the copper is showing, should I just buy another Atoma or is there something else. I have Chosera's and SG plates, I see a few people recommending sic powder I was just wondering how well that works and is it worth the mess, there is a kit made by Shapton. I've also been looking at the button nano plate but that's a lot of money.
Coarse SG stones, I guess?

Those do look interesting but I'm not so sure I want to deal with the language, I'm going to stick with the Atoma's, just ordered a 140 and 400, maybe between the two they will last a little longer.

Thanks for the help.

ordered my atoma's but I was looking at these too, just not sure about their quality.

have you looked into dmt hardcoat plates? thse are called diaflat.
i have the 160 grit one. and have used it on quite a lot of stones and knives (flattening bevel). not dead yet, finer but not worn out.

ordered my atoma's but I was looking at these too, just not sure about their quality.

you gonna get this one bear?

Create%20your%20own%20flatness%20website.webp

No, I ordered my Atoma's this morning, I couldn't find any reliable reviews on the Maffalo, I'd be afraid they wouldn't last. It scares me to order out of country right now (Button Plates), I ordered some coffee from N. Carolina last weekend and it seems to be moving all around the country right now, I'd be waiting 6 months.

how many stone flattenings or blade flattenings did your atomas last you'd say?

i think i got about 3-6 months of good abrasion out of my atoma400, mixed stone/blade use. then it reverted to much finer/slower, then i used it only for edges.

and the diaflat was similarish, but i really punished the diaflat with 4 sintered alox stones (missarkas, 8 sides in total), and maybe 6 flattenings of blades. and then the usual crap with all my other stones, and after 1 year it feels half as fast as new. its still quite aggressive though, i'd say its half consumed.

I've had it for over a year now, I've got a bunch of SG stones and a couple of Choseras, the Choseras are what really killed it, to tell you the truth it doesn't owe me a thing. I picked up a 140 and 400 this morning, I'm hoping between the two I'll get a couple of years out of them.

I just tapped out my knife and stone funds on some JNATs but someone needs to try some of those plates and review them. I'm very curious about the Marfallo plate @Bear found, the extra large diamond plate with 150 printed on it from the video @kayman67 conjured up (assuming more stars = better this may be more promising than the Chinese button plates but I'm curious about them too), and the Ken-syou lapping plate @PalmRoyale has posted about. Granted the 140 Atoma works fairly well but "works fairly well" has never been the standard in this asylum.

If I just use atoma 140 for stones I usually get 3-5 years out of it. Ofcourse the speed reduces overtime. But it takes me about that long to want a fresh one. You can buy the replacement diamond strip or whatever for $59. If there is a better bargain I’d be interested in hearing more about it.

If I just use atoma 140 for stones I usually get 3-5 years out of it. Ofcourse the speed reduces overtime. But it takes me about that long to want a fresh one. You can buy the replacement diamond strip or whatever for $59. If there is a better bargain I’d be interested in hearing more about it.

It rather appears that the alternatives are likely to be more expensive, at least as an initial purchase. Whether they last enough longer or work enough better to justify this is yet to be determined. Five years?!?

It rather appears that the alternatives are likely to be more expensive, at least as an initial purchase. Whether they last enough longer or work enough better to justify this is yet to be determined. Five years?!?
For stones-not knives yeah. 5 years.
There’s stuff you can do to extend the life of your atoma.

Last edited:
I've had my atoma 140 for around 5-6 years too.. Flattened alot of stones from 180 up to finest and hardest naturals. Now it's slow but it still works.

I think for you guys that wear it out faster don't use enough water to rinse off the residue during your flattening process.

Back