Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DitmasPork

Reaction score
45722.jpg

Hey @josemartinlopez, your new avatar caught my attention.

I assume humor was part of the intent. However, IMO you're no longer a 'noob'—considering the knowledge you've acquired and knives collected.

Your avatar got me asking—at what point does a person become a serious kitchen knife collector? To me it can be quite simple, a person becomes a serious knife once they have collected a number of knives that exceeds kitchen requirements. Doesn't matter if this takes place over a decade or a month. What I do for a living is sell art to collectors; someone can be deemed a 'serious collector' after buying just a couple of pieces.

@josemartinlopez has graduated from 'noob' to 'serious collector.'

To the subject of my post, I'm fascinated by what KKFers use as their avatars—sometimes an intentional projection of an ideal, fantasy, humor, statement, etc.

My avatar, a pic of a, ancient Hawaiian poi pounder, linked with cultural identity of where I'm from.

Interested in why people selected the avatar they've used.

Mine is a picture of a Turkish Orange Eggplant that I grew. I selected it as my avatar because I love to garden and raise a variety of heirloom vegetables every year. I am always curious as to what some of the old noncommercialized veggies taste like. Here is a picture I lifted from Baker Creek's website to show a closeup. For me, it is the food. The knives make the whole experience a lot more pleasing, but are only a part of it.

1601306513105.png

Mine is a picture of a Turkish Orange Eggplant that I grew. I selected it as my avatar because I love to garden and raise a variety of heirloom vegetables every year. I am always curious as to what some of the old noncommercialized veggies taste like. Here is a close up picture I lifted from Baker Creek's website to show a closeup. For me, it is the food. The knives make the whole experience a lot more pleasing, but are only a part of it.

View attachment 96565
Whao! I just assumed it was a tomato in your palm. How to they differ—besides coloration—to Thai Eggplants, which are a similar shape, and can be eaten raw?

However, IMO you're no longer a 'noob'—considering the knowledge you've acquired and knives collected.
Haha, thanks, you are kind to someone who owns no knives and has even less knowledge!

I started that blog I told you about to give my impressions of knives in a more orderly manner. Bluehost just suspended the account over some ID issue and I'll let you know when it's back.

These can be eaten raw when young because they lack bitterness. Once they get too big/old, the get really seedy. Overall, they are best for stuffing. They are wonderful in a caponata too. My favorite all around eggplant is the Aswad Eggplant. It is great for just about any use, no soaking to pull bitterness as it is naturally sweet.

These can be eaten raw when young because they lack bitterness. Once they get too big/old, the get really seedy. Overall, they are best for stuffing. They are wonderful in a caponata too. My favorite all around eggplant is the Aswad Eggplant. It is great for just about any use, no soaking to pull bitterness as it is naturally sweet.
Dude! I need to find them, will try some of the Russian markets in my area that tend to carry a lot of Turkish foods and ingredients. What I love about Asian eggplants is there's no need to salt or soak.

Haha, thanks, you are kind to someone who owns no knives and has even less knowledge!

I started that blog I told you about to give my impressions of knives in a more orderly manner. Bluehost just suspended the account over some ID issue and I'll let you know when it's back.
"...owns no knives..."??? I thought you owned quite a few purchased recently? You had a Jiro up for trade.

Dude! I need to find them, will try some of the Russian markets in my area that tend to carry a lot of Turkish foods and ingredients. What I love about Asian eggplants is there's no need to salt or soak.
Keep an eye out for these as well:
1) Rosa Bianca (Italian, no bitterness)
2) Mitoyo (Great all around Japanese variety)
3) Japanese White Eggplant (About the size of a goose egg, great for use chopped up)

I have grown these three plus the Turkish and Aswad mentioned above. The Aswad is an Middle Eastern variety.

My avatar is a picture that I had a computer generate of the “Farey graph“, see the image at the top of the page here.

It comes up in my work a fair amount. The image was drawn for this paper.
That is interesting, thanks for sharing! The most complex I ever had to do was Queuing Theory, which pales in comparison.

Mine is just my goofy head. No secret messages or hidden depths.
Your's does speaks of a specific historical context, the mask wearing covid times; also the mask material reveals your interest in a particular knife maker; thumbs up an expression of optimism.

Interestingly, I use a somewhat similar avatar on another platform, albeit not as happy looking.

Screen Shot 2020-09-28 at 11.49.27 AM.png

My avatar is a picture that I had a computer generate of the “Farey graph“, see the image at the top of the page here.

Nice! One of the great regrets of my math career is that I never got to draw a really cool picture for a paper. (Managed to sneak in a few epic commutative diagrams, but they'd hardly fit in an avatar...)

Your avatar made me smile the first time I saw it, but I didn't realize it was that specific Kusama. One of my friends is a huge Kusama collector.

Whoah! I thought it was some kind of Missile Command type game. Even cooler.

Back