Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
graduated from 'noob' to 'serious collector.'
This is a false dichotomy type of reasoning.

Interested in why people selected the avatar they've used.
Mine is just my standard gravatar.

If you want this to be a thread about avatars, you might want to just title it “Avatar and Identity” so people don’t assume it’s yet another thread all about JML.
This. I almost didn't click on it because of the second half of the title.

My avatar are tips of an 80mm Yoshikane petty that Maksim used to sell a long time ago and a Tanaka 210 WA R2 gyuto (my very first gyuto). Both are long gone. And for some reason it always looks crazy unsharp. Maybe the time for a new avatar has come ...

This is a false dichotomy type of reasoning.

Guess the point I'm making with 'serious collector,' is 'serious' means anyone willing to spend the money to build a good collection. Knowledge, experience, length of time as a collector aren't always requisites to being a serious collector. Someone could blow 15k in a day and become a 'serious collector.' Doesn't make them an authority or expert—but, could certainly be considered a 'serious collector.'

I'll never be a serious collector, I'm too broke too much of the time.

Guess the point I'm making with 'serious collector,' is 'serious' means anyone willing to spend the money to build a good collection. Knowledge, experience, length of time as a collector aren't always requisites to being a serious collector. Someone could blow 15k in a day and become a 'serious collector.' Doesn't make them an authority or expert—but, could certainly be considered a 'serious collector.'
That's fair. I guess I wouldn't use "serious" (with money as the only criteria) but I can see why you did.

I'll never be a serious collector, I'm too broke too much of the time.
I'll never be any kind of collector!

My avatar stands for maturity
I thought it was "mashups" 😂

That's me showing that you can take the cook out of the kitchen but you can't take the cook's posture away. That looks like my first sink bridge, which weighed about 15 pounds. It was two pieces of back to back shallow unistrut in stainless which I saved from the scrap bin at work. Bolted it together with a few angle brackets to hold it in place over the sink or a hotel pan. I've since upgraded to some 2x4 and am forever teasing myself that I'll replicate the box that Evan had made out of cypress.

Thank you @DitmasPork you never fail to be a highlight here. This is a really great thread that you've started.

My avatar, a pic of a, ancient Hawaiian poi pounder, linked with cultural identity of where I'm from.
Judging by avatars alone, I thought you were the antithesis of @dafox

My avatar is a small bird that travels everywhere with me.
kDMKY0x.jpg

@Kippington
Thanks for sharing the video! That was awesome and my kids enjoyed it too!!! They have a question for you. How do you keep him from pooping on stuff?

They also want to know how old the bird is and what its favorite food is.

Thanks!

Who needs dogs. Pfft that parrot is a true chick magnet redefining mans best friend. What a cool bird.

Curious if that species has those social tendencies or were they learned from an early age.

Judging by avatars alone, I thought you were the antithesis of @dafox

My avatar is a small bird that travels everywhere with me.
kDMKY0x.jpg

Kipp, what an amazing video, I bet it’s a chick magnet too!

If I had this bird, my slap-inducing pick-up line “Wanna pet my bird?” would totally be working!

@Kippington
Thanks for sharing the video! That was awesome and my kids enjoyed it too!!! They have a question for you. How do you keep him from pooping on stuff?
It took me years to potty train him - or I should say - it took me years to understand how small parrots think and behave.
They're naturally more toilet trained than people think, it takes a short time to tweak their behaviour.

The thing to understand is: People can't easily relate to how often parrots need to go, because nature didn't have to worry about keeping us lightweight for flying.
Birds won't want to poop in places they like to be (e.g you generally never find poop where they sleep, or on your shoulder if they like you). Small parrots can hold it in for about 10-15 minutes, depending on how recently they last had something to eat or drink. If you give them the chance to poop somewhere they don't particularly like or have no connection to, they'll do it there. If you don't give them any chance, they'll do it where-ever they stand.

Last edited:
Small parrots can hold it in for about 10-15 minutes, depending on how recently they last had something to eat or drink.

Ok, I am out, I thought my puppy does business 3-4 times a day was bad, can’t imagine managing 50 times a day 😱

Back