Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ian, I am 68, 2 beers and a big glass of wine a day, eat what I want when I want.
Ditmas, I did not know Jeff C, but a few of my friends went to Hawaii, Chris Lundy and Bruce Hansel. Bruce was in the pipe masters tourney a couple of times, he has lived in Bali for 30 years where he still shapes every day. They called him "Bagger" because he got so many waves at Pipe. They were part of the underground crew.
Chris was an artist and surfer, he airbrushed boards for Cort Gion. Sadly he is gone now.

The story of Chardonnay and how a couple of 'entrepreneurs' jumped the fence at Penfolds and stole some cuttings when the direct approach failed was fascinating.
Founded by criminals, inhabited by criminals. #Straya

asks the right questions
And if they stumble on some of the right questions, listen to the answers.

Ian, I am 68, 2 beers and a big glass of wine a day, eat what I want when I want.
Ditmas, I did not know Jeff C, but a few of my friends went to Hawaii, Chris Lundy and Bruce Hansel. Bruce was in the pipe masters tourney a couple of times, he has lived in Bali for 30 years where he still shapes every day. They called him "Bagger" because he got so many waves at Pipe. They were part of the underground crew.
Chris was an artist and surfer, he airbrushed boards for Cort Gion. Sadly he is gone now.
Cool! Yeah, Jeff Crawford shook the surfing world when he won the Pipeline Masters in the 70s, no one thought a Floridian could ever win it, since East Coast surf wasn't highly regarded in those days.

I don't need all the knives I have - like not at all - and I gathered quite a few in not even one year, yet do not consider myself a collector. I use all of them, even the VG-10 Takayuki, and worked on pretty much all of them - some more than once, some very extensively. Curiosity and want/need are driving me - and yes I use need, not to justify buying so many, but because I really needed to try that profile, that maker, that steel. There was no other way than buying them to know how they suited me. Right now I'm much more interested in sharpening.

This has been going on for a while, and as stupid as it might seem, it's driven the "need" part to try other knives, since all of mine are sharp and otherwise brought to my liking, and I love the perspective of another project, another feeling, another surprise, another anything. I'm not interested in selling most of them - I should based on that need to try operation, but as I look at them and tell myself "Oh come on you need to sell a few" I cannot bring myself to do so: they all have something I love, and they all have been worked on enough that their intrinsic value to me is far beyond what you guys would pay - understandable too that you wouldn't.

The Takayuki can go, though...

As for the Avatar, I don't remember the guy's name but he's drawn a subjective picture of many mental disorders: this one is for depressive disorder, and represents something I sure should be afflicted of, yet always managed to escape with sheer will.

The ID means "Modder Quebec" and has followed me for a while. As with knives, all of my passions have truly taken hold when I started to "mod" things to my liking: movie analysis and discovering a unique sense to a movie, computers and building my own, trying a lot of different parts and looking at their effects on performance, overclocking, and even creating a guide to mod Kepler 2.0 Bios back when energy consumption was limiting Nvidia graphics performance, chess and building my own guide to opening history as related to chess history, and now... knives. As a cultural phenomenon we people from Quebec are known to be good folks, culturally happy, welcoming, and very open-minded, yet we have that history of being regressive, not very inclined to push things forward, to change a situation, to shape the world to our image. Well I am progressive, and very inclined to do all of this.

Last edited:
I wish you the best of luck shaping your future knives to your image! 😜

Btw, I found this cool knife block online.

0AD471C8-D4DE-4EC8-BF1D-322ACCDD8BA2.jpeg

True. It was inspired by your post since I was looking for a human shaped knife (a knife in your image) but I’m so glad I found it. May have to order one if I can find a vendor.

I’m surprised of this coming from you. If « your image » to you is related to what you see in the mirror - or to such extents your clothes car house - then you sure lack of depth my friend.

True. It was inspired by your post since I was looking for a human shaped knife (a knife in your image)

I’m surprised of this coming from you. If « your image » to you is related to what you see in the mirror - or to such extents your clothes car house - then you sure lack of depth my friend.

I looked online first for a knife shaped like an overwhelming desire for a just, compassionate, verdant and sustainable world, but came up empty, strangely...

Ok so not finding it you aimed for something to deface the meaning of my post? I see...

Rereading the above, my apologies if the head shaped knife block thing came off as confrontational. To clarify, I was trying to make a joke about the "knife in your image" thing by posting a picture of a knife that looked like a person, then came across that image during the google search and thought it was so cool I had to share it. Sometimes my posts come off differently than I intend, though.

Back