Avocado Uses Required

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

madelinez

Catcheside Fanatic
Reaction score
Title says it all, I've recently harvested a large number of hass avocados at once and I'm already sick of guacamole, avocado on toast, avocado cheese chicken toasted sandwiches etc.

What are some unique ways you've used avocado before?

p0LdC28.jpg

There isn't that much you can do with avocado other than eat it raw, such as in salads, or turn it into guacamole. Avocado freezes reasonably well. You can freeze it whole (which is probably best). Or cut them into halves or quarters and remove the seed. For freezing, an airtight seal is important, as is adding a bit of lime juice or lemon juice to the cut surfaces.

I found a recipe for avocado cake, but have not tried this. You'll use up 1.5 avocados per cake that way… :(

Some interesting ideas here: Pickling and Preserving Avocados - The Scoop Avocado Blog, Recipes and More | California Avocado Commission

There is a recipe for pickled avocado, which I might just try out…

But, generally, avocado seems to be one of those foods where the food is just "itself" and you have to eat it when it's ripe.

Umm there is a local phenomenon which is an avocado milkshake, thick and with liquid palm sugar as the sweetener.
Weird as it sounds I wholeheartedly recommend it.
Alternatively find some hipsters and sell the excess fruits to them.

Some people will stop short of nothing, not even deep-frying avocado :)

I just googled a recipe for deep-fried avocado. To my chagrin, this actually looks like it might be nice!

Fried avocado tacos are amazing. I like to do egg with panko for the breading.

Avocado ice cream is delicious

For smoothies I put strained Greek yogurt and avocados in the blender and thin as necessary with milk.

The Colombian restaurants in my neighborhood do arepas with plantains, avocado, queso sauce, red beans, chicharron and chorizo

You can do green salad dressings. Avocado vinaigrette/emulsion/aioli

It's great in ceviche/sushi

Chunk it and use as garnish for black bean soup or chili.

I love the stuff but my wife developed an allergy so I very rarely get to eat it.

Fried avocado tacos are amazing. I like to do egg with panko for the breading.

Avocado ice cream is delicious

For smoothies I put strained Greek yogurt and avocados in the blender and thin as necessary with milk.

The Colombian restaurants in my neighborhood do arepas with plantains, avocado, queso sauce, red beans, chicharron and chorizo

You can do green salad dressings. Avocado vinaigrette/emulsion/aioli

It's great in ceviche/sushi

Chunk it and use as garnish for black bean soup or chili.

I love the stuff but my wife developed an allergy so I very rarely get to eat it.
Definitely ceviche! I want some now

Here is my Avocado smoked salmon breakfast sandwich. The Chinese sesame pancake is only 5mm thin, you’ll need a true laser to split it open to do this. You’ll also want to toast it whole first & split open after, so it’s crunchy outside & soft inside.

7AF4037D-4537-438B-9B69-E060535C5728.jpeg
EEFDEBCE-695D-4F32-9A33-6A2801E8AB83.jpeg

avocados play so well with eggs.

avocado ice cream? that green sauce (its a thin sauce) your drizzle over tacos?

i wish i could grow an avocado tree. i love trees, and my favorite one makes avocados.

So many good ideas above. I like it in hot sauce, in salads and salad dressings, in soups like pozole, and basically all the other ways suggested above. I also used to have this crab and avocado salad a lot in France. The avocado was often whipped and served in some sort of cup, topped with the crab. It’s been a while, and I don’t remember the details, but it was good! Also, just slice it and top it with salt and a really good balsamic vinegar. Freakin’ yum. If you just have bad balsamic, mix it with maple syrup first.

But can you really have enough guacamole? Just make it differently every time. I could eat it every day...

Like JayGee, I've heard the Avocado chocolate mouse is good and works well if they start to go a little. Seems like the idea is to mask the avocado with chocolate so you have a nice texture but not the flavor. Might be nice if you're sick of avos. Maybe you can freeze it too, but I wouldn't go that far. Seems like one of the things you find all black in your deep freeze a couple years later.

Long standing tradition for some, the Carpinteria State Beach puts on an avocado festival every year. Something like avocado ice cream always seems to steal the show.

My wife combines the choc mousse and cheesecake ideas for a decent (vegan :/ ) chocolate cheesecake. I couldn’t give you a recipe as just about everything goes in it!

Id go for an avocado ice cream. Its frozen anyways so you can store a bunch away.

Latest posts

Back