Back to sharpening basics

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
it's for the practice and the community service, not the money.

I am impressed! You must have quite a few hours under your belt. I stopped 'chasing the dragon' a while a go - that drug of trying to get that little bit sharper then before! Now I don't get to practice too much and am content with good enough! Makes me feel like I am a lazy hack!

Reactions: ian
Professionals in Canada will charge about 6-10$ for a blade, and around 15-20$ for most major repairs, is what I gather, although they warn that depending on the damage it may cost more.

Those seem so low prices to me that even when I'll get better I can hardly see the point of trying to "make money" out of that ability. Right now I'm able enough to give an incredible edge to anyone who has only ever used a rod to try and get some sharpness back, but not enough to do major repairs or give much more to anyone that at the very least started to sharpen for themselves with correct results.

Soft stainless is where I feel the less able to give a real good edge - possibly because it feels so poor anyhow compared to that of a better steel that I just don't trust my results even if much better than factory.

Reactions: ian
I just sharpened my sister in laws knifes, five of them. A few Henckels and a little five inch made in China Santuko and boning knife that looked like they had been drug through one of those old electric knife sharpeners that were found on the side of can openers. The boning knife pretty much just refused to take an edge so I put it across a medium coarse diamond and called it. My wife said that when she got them back the Chinese knifes went into a block and the Henckels went loose into a drawer. Already having mixed feelings about sharpening the knifes, waiting to hear how bad she cut her finger.
At least when I am asked to carve the turkey my job will be much easier.

Latest posts

Back