Badgie’s rocks

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Maruoyama kiiro suita
040B5A49-8B69-46BB-8BED-0B7EEF9B489C.jpeg

So what knives/etc. do you use each of the stones for, and what did you use to lacquer (?) the Narutaki?

So what knives/etc. do you use each of the stones for, and what did you use to lacquer (?) the Narutaki?

Oh boy, where to start? Perhaps I’d better start with the second part of the question. The stone is reinforced with hand-printed chiyogami paper and then lacquered with cashew lacquer. The cross-hatch of paper fibres is especially strong when lacquered. It is a traditional stone fortifying method though, traditionally, the choice of paper is a bit more prosaic and plain than hand-printed chiyogami. I find it pretty and don’t think it detracts from a stone that doesn’t offer as much beauty via visible layers etc on the side. Though I realise it’s not for everyone and there are some stones I’d never contemplate doing that with such as the layered Nakayama earlier on the thread. It’s a fine line between respectful modification/adornment and what we’ll call “Masha-ing”. I might have to have a longer think to give a proper answer to the first question as edge work is almost an afterthought - a layer of hygiene that occurs adjacent to the real reason I buy stones.. Kasumi polishing. It’s when I’m polishing that the real detective work of matching what the core and cladding will do on a given stone becomes a thing and there are as many outcomes as there are mathematical combinations of knives and different stones in different sequences.

Looking good Otto. Pretty jealous of .. well.. all of it. That first koshiji is nuts! Need a natsuya and maybe another maruo.

Impressive collection!
It would be great if you can show some photos of the finishes from those beautiful stones :)

Back